Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Marriage or not?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
So I divorced after being married 24 years. Luckily for us it was mutual and finances were not an issue for either of us. I believe now that marriage licenses can trap people legally in a relationship that they may not really had thought long term about, or just did it to appease family, friends and/or to just not lose that person in their life.
I will NEVER get married again because I think it's such a bad indicator if two people are really committed to each other or not. The assumption previously is that when two people are married, they are totally connected and the "till death do us part" held true.
But in today's social media, you can meet just about anyone in the world, facetime and conversate, etc. that even MARRIED people do it behind their spouses back. At that point, the marriage didn't deter them from seeking out someone else.
IMO, if two people want to be together and are really into each other, you DON'T need a marriage license to prove it. I know people get the license for LEGAL reasons and the protection for the significant other, but wills and trust take care of those as well if something happens. If I end up with someone else for a period of time and really love them, I'll provide what they need for them once I'm gone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff, I agree with you 100%. Very unpopular opinion in my area and opposite of the way I was raised, but I don't care. I'm very happy single. If I find someone I want to spend time with, fine. But the law does not need to be involved to "prove" my dedication to the relationship.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    Sorry about your divorce. I married my mother's choice, not mine. He was an alcoholic. Not a mean alcoholic, a party boy. He partied while I raised the kids. My mom wrote me out of her will after a fight with him. She said the b-d would never get any of her money. I laughed. I cried. He married me for her money.
    I really believe that marriage is a government thing. Deeds. Taxes. Insurance.
    Commitment is a whole different ballgame.
    They can co-exist. They can be totally separate.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,272 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    I think there are significant differences between the US and Europe, so I'll specify that I'm European. Recently celebrated my 20 year anniversary with my boyfriend. Yes, boyfriend. We've been living together for 18 or 19 years. No need for us to get married. We don't even have an official civil union registered with my government.
    A bit more paperwork and some differences regarding inheritances, but aside from that it's the same as any marriage or civil union. Works fine for us!
    And as a woman, I've never dreamt of my wedding dress or anything like that. (The wedding party/ ceremony itself is actually the last appealing part of marriage 😆 )

Mariage and commitment are two separate concepts/ things that sometimes overlap, each one of these can certainly exist without the other.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm still open to getting married again..if I can find a guy would feel blessed and eternally grateful to be married to me..

who adores me, tells me how beautiful I am, holds my hand walking, and generally wants to make me happy. Also, is someone who is extremely honest and who I respect ,love, and admire.

Fortunately, I am a bit a loner and completely happy if I end up never finding that guy. 🤣
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I'm still open to getting married again..if I can find a guy would feel blessed and eternally grateful to be married to me..

who ador es me, tells me how beautiful I am, holds my hand walking, and generally wants to make me happy. Aflso, is someone who is extremely honest and who I respect ,love, and admire.

Fortunately, I am a bit a loner and completely happy if I end up never finding that guy. 🤣

If you find that guy, he'll be exhausted from running from all the women. Lol.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Oh, and he has to work out a lot, but not care that I'm a little chunky. 🩷💕😋
  • ninerbuff
    edited May 22
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I think there are significant differences between the US and Europe, so I'll specify that I'm European. Recently celebrated my 20 year anniversary with my boyfriend. Yes, boyfriend. We've been living together for 18 or 19 years. No need for us to get married. We don't even have an official civil union registered with my government.
    A bit more paperwork and some differences regarding inheritances, but aside from that it's the same as any marriage or civil union. Works fine for us!
    And as a woman, I've never dreamt of my wedding dress or anything like that. (The wedding party/ ceremony itself is actually the last appealing part of marriage 😆 )

Mariage and commitment are two separate concepts/ things that sometimes overlap, each one of these can certainly exist without the other.
    It's funny that it's such a big thing in the US. I dunno, maybe the dream for a lot of women in America is that wedding day is THEIR day and they need it along with mother. From my experience, most men don't really concern themselves on big extravagant, go all out, impress your family and friends wedding. We had that. 250 of family and friends and while the wedding was cool, I'm sure most of them were just there to party at the reception. Not to say they weren't happy for us, but most weddings are about the reception and not really about the union. And today, it's almost like a competition with other weddings because of social media because you see all the wedding dances becoming productions rather than in old school days where first dances weren't about how great the performance was, but that it was about two people not caring about what it really looked like, but that it was their first dance together. I'm all for entertainment, but as I said I believe now it's more about entertainment value of the dance and production.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I got married 24 years ago, and it was important to me at that time. My OH went missing (long story but he was fine, all a misunderstanding) and the police launched a search for him. They thought he’d fallen into a fast flowing river and were looking for a body. I had lived with him for 3 years yet the police told me I wouldn’t be able to identify the body - it would have to be his mother as next of kin. Times may have changed now, but the legal situation then meant I had no rights as his common law partner.

I think common law spouses have equal rights now (UK) so it wouldn’t be an issue, but it was important to me at that time.
  • Share2Care
    Share2Care Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    This is my first post. Interesting topic. I turned 70 in January and have been alone since February when I evicted my chronic alcoholic BF of 20 years. I got sober 2.5 years ago and he wasn't any support. I want to take control of my life and get even healthier. I decided at 17 I didn't want to marry or have kids. I am happy for that decision. Living with no regrets.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I got married 24 years ago, and it was important to me at that time. My OH went missing (long story but he was fine, all a misunderstanding) and the police launched a search for him. They thought he’d fallen into a fast flowing river and were looking for a body. I had lived with him for 3 years yet the police told me I wouldn’t be able to identify the body - it would have to be his mother as next of kin. Times may have changed now, but the legal situation then meant I had no rights as his common law partner.

I think common law spouses have equal rights now (UK) so it wouldn’t be an issue, but it was important to me at that time.

THIS

I won’t get into too many details, but in the early stages of my husband’s dementia he looked OK to people who didn’t know him as well as I did. And he developed a paranoia where he believed I was somehow conspiring to do awful things to him. This was before what I call “the obvious strokes” but it’s very likely he had neurological damage in the years prior to those.

“Friends” and, shockingly, most relatives, actually supported his delusions without ever asking me anything about my side of things. It was a truly nightmarish experience and it was about 4 years before I was able to get a diagnosis from a neuropsychologist at the VA.

The only thing I had in my favor was that marriage license. It meant he couldn’t sell our house to his ex (something she was trying very hard to get him to do - she is not a good person) And it meant that during the days prior to the official dementia diagnosis I was able to discuss things with his doctors and they would actually listen.

After the dementia diagnosis that marriage license means a ton of legal rights that are very important to both of us. Yes I also have both legal and medical Power of Attorney.
    But post diagnosis, the marriage alone was enough to keep the toxic financially abusive family members away from him.

Marriage has three components
    Religious, legal, and cultural.

I really liked the religious aspect of our own particular vows. That is a personal thing.

The cultural aspect of marriage was definitely something I navigated at times. For example, being the wife of a second degree black belt carried some social expectations at official Tae Kwon Do events. Mostly looking pretty and being quiet. Both difficult for me. 😂

The legal aspect wasn’t something I really thought about at all. Until it became obvious that I had the power and moral obligation (that I chose to fulfill) to protect him from literal predators in his life.

Marriage is a personal choice, and it is definitely a concept that evolves over time and is different from culture to culture.
    As long as all parties are adults and enter into it with full consent? To each their own.

I AM a 2nd Degree Black Belt with UK medals. Fortunately that never went with needing to be pretty or quiet! 🤣
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong to this argument. As others have said, it is entirely a personal choice.

I'm going to be celebrating my 34th anniversary this September 1. There have been ups and downs and at one point I felt like kicking him out the door but now I can't imagine doing that and the past 10 years have been wonderful. He is my rock, my loving partner and, as an aside, a great support during this weight loss journey of mine.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    There is no right or wrong to this argument. As others have said, it is entirely a personal choice.

I'm going to be celebrating my 34th anniversary this September 1. There have been ups and downs and at one point I felt like kicking him out the door but now I can't imagine doing that and the past 10 years have been wonderful. He is my rock, my loving partner and, as an aside, a great support during this weight loss journey of mine.
    I agree that it is all personal choice. However in some cultures, not being married after a certain age can be viewed as failure. Also in some cultures, especially how men are viewed, that if not married, they are just out looking to have as many affairs (not that it doesn't happen if married), while with someone.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,223 Member
    Options
    I think whether you find officially-sanctioned marriage desirable or not is largely up to your religion and culture. Both of which are evolving at crazy-making rates, so acting on the proscriptions of those areas is not only deeply personal, but also likely reflective of the time period you got married (or didn't). I suspect that not even Christians are that worked up over things like living together while you're engaged or who the breadwinner will be. (That's just a guess, I don't really know any religious people).

To me, the focus should be on the legal aspects. I wish people were better educated on the legalities of marriage vs. not-marriage. Yes, marriage confers a lot of legal rights, but every single one can be replicated legally. Even if you do get married, a strong estate plan outlining legal authority, wishes for your care, and final arrangements should be a priority, particularly if your preference for certain aspects don't include your spouse. I also suggest a strong, legally negotiated, and executed pre-nup, but people seem to have strong feelings about those. Probably the thing I'm most grateful for from my marriage is that it provided a huge impetus for my own legal planning. That planning was incredibly valuable as we separated and even more so now that I'm single.

That said, from a personal perspective, I don't see a reason for marriage in my future. My relationship with my ex is the single greatest regret of my adult life and I don't care to revisit the institution. While I'm not anti-marriage by any means, I just can't imagine a scenario where it would be needful or desirable in my life. The risk is definitely not worth whatever theoretical reward there might be. I've actually been dumped twice now by men who got frustrated with my unwillingness to "commit" or "move forward" in our relationship. But it's just not worth the risk when I have my own future to worry about.