Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is the size of one cup in grams

Options
AbhishekKashyap6847
AbhishekKashyap6847 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 24 in Debate Club
Anyone knows the size of cup in gram ?

Answers

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Different things weigh more, think about a feather and a rock.

Do you have a scale that will weigh in grams?

Some foods on the mfp database have cup and grams in the title. You might look through the food list to see if someone added your food with both cups and grams.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

240g are usually one US cup

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

240g are usually one US cup

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That would likely be true for a cup of water. For other items with different density, it would not.
    I stand corrected.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Grams are a weight measure. Cups are a volume measure.

Essentially, you've asked the equivalent of "how many grams are in a liter". There is no fully reliable answer.

Some foods are dense, weigh more for a given volume. Some foods are very loose or light, weigh less for a given volume.

One standard US cup is 236.6 milliliters (rounded to nearest tenth). Conventionally, for US labeling purposes, it usually gets rounded to 240 milliliters.

Confusingly, US measures for volume and weight both include "ounces". But fluid ounces and ounces of weight don't equate either: They're two different types of units, conventionally called "fluid ounces" for the volume measure, just "ounces" for the weight measure.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    To confuse the issue further most liquids will work out using both grams or milliliters. For example 500 milliliters of water weights 500 grams, honey is differently because of it's density though and temperature can influence weight as well and why volume differs from summer to winter for petroleum at a gas station for example.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Grams are a weight measure. Cups are a volume measure.

Essentially, you've asked the equivalent of "how many grams are in a liter". There is no fully reliable answer.

Assuming we take the measurement of a liter to represent a liquid we can reliable count on a liter of water which is 1000 milliliters to weight 1000 grams as an example but other things are not so reliable like oils and alcohols. Weights and measurements are sure a funny business.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    To confuse the issue further most liquids will work out using both grams or milliliters. For example 500 milliliters of water weights 500 grams, honey is differently because of it's density though and temperature can influence weight as well and why volume differs from summer to winter for petroleum at a gas station for example.

PV = nRT

College chem 101 flashbacks

b3bmwhmu25hc.jpeg
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,296 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    Pray for America!

6oz steaks that measure 8 inches across, and when diced is 2 cups.

Weight(mass): is how most of the rest of the world thinks of food.

Once I got a digital food scale I realized my food logging would be 1000 times easier if all the nutrition data came based on grams.

I think marketing and manufacturing lobbying play an oversized influence on our U.S. labeling laws. For instance a one dollar bag of chips at a gas station has 2.25 "servings." What? What is a "serving" of junk food? Who cares. What are the facts. These 100g of chips have 500 kcals.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Pray for America!

6oz steaks that measure 8 inches across, and when diced is 2 cups.

Weight(mass): is how most of the rest of the world thinks of food.

Once I got a digital food scale I realized my food logging would be 1000 times easier if all the nutrition data came based on grams.

I think marketing and manufacturing lobbying play an oversized influence on our U.S. labeling laws. For instance a one dollar bag of chips at a gas station has 2.25 "servings." What? What is a "serving" of junk food? Who cares. What are the facts. These 100g of chips have 500 kcals.

In the U.S. it will typically tell you on the label how many grams are in a serving (labels more typically measure a serving of liquids and semi-liquid foods by volume). It's not a mystery. A few centimeters away from the information that there were 2.25 servings in the bag, it almost certainly defined a serving in grams (probably 28 grams).