First Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The good thing about your first one is that no matter when you finish, you have a new PR that you can dedicate your training to beating the next time. A "good" finish time is relative to each runner's ability and training.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk, but I use compression shorts. Not sure if that would work for you, but it does for me.
  • m2the2ndPOWER
    m2the2ndPOWER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what most people have said....don't start off too fast in the beginning since you have a ways to go! Take it in and enjoy the ride. Since its your first, your goal should be to finish, finish strong, and finish uninjured. That way next time you have a goal in mind and possibly one to PR :)

Don't introduce any new foods the week before the race (i.e. anything GI upsetting, high fiber, etc). Keep your diet simple and clean. If you haven't been training with Gu or gel, it probably wouldn't be advisable to start eating them the day of the race. Some people can have a little upset on the course and that can be messy.

Hydrate yourself very well the week before the race and weekend before, a little more then usual.

Wear an outfit race day you know you'll be comfortable in that you know doesn't chaff anywhere that you've trialed out already in long runs.

Don't buy new shoes the week before either. Most shoegear takes about a good couple weeks to a month to break in before your foot can adjust to it.

Have fun and good luck!
  • runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience from my first try at a 1/2 Marathon in 2012, do not drink too much water the day before. I drank 90 oz. or so and at mile 12, my body gave out because the water flushed out all my electrolytes. I made it to the finish line, but in an ambulance and 3 units of some solution. And I was going so good because I was under a 2 hour pace.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I ran my first HM on June 2nd this year. I was never a runner AT ALL before, and trained for about 3 months leading up to the race, not getting super serious until 8 weeks prior. My time was 02:29:58! I had been hoping to finish under 3 hours.

After finishing, I went straight to the bathroom lines and began to get light-headed. I was barely able to open my Gatorade bottle because I was ready to pass out! I took a few sips and almost instantly felt better. I had some Gatorade along the way, but make sure you drink plenty during and at the finish line. I also had chocolate milk, water and jamba juice afterward :)

I had a GU energy gel at mile 8, which gave me a boost (whether mental or not). I'd recommend eating something an hour or two before the race. I had cereal with almond milk at home, and brought a banana to eat and Gatorade to sip on about an hour prior.

Oh, another thing..... make sure to use the bathroom before you start!