Any animal based groups here for Australians?

Options
The reason why I said Australians specifically because I am interested in knowing the product range.
Also, for us here raw dairy is illegal so it’s hard to relate with people from other countries where it’s not 🤷‍♀️

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    No reason not to prefer other Australians, but I have to say that raw dairy isn't commonly consumed here in the USA, either. It's fully illegal in some states, tightly regulated in others, generally.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Raw dairy is illegal in Canada as well. Some farmers have tried different ways to get around that, but the government usually finds a way to enforce the ban of selling raw dairy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    But...does raw vs pasteurized dairy have some kind of bearing on forum use?

I mean, first of all, aren't the calories the same? And I've never in 15 years on myfitnesspal forums seen any discussion which in any way even discusses raw vs pasteurized (even though I would never use raw...)

I know it's a discussion in some online groups currently since the avian flu virus jumped to cow udders but that would not be a topic for general forum use here, only maybe in the, "Debates," section...but, it is not a big discussion in relation to weight management. What am I missing?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

I mean, first of all, aren't the calories the same? And I've never in 15 years on myfitnesspal forums seen any discussion which in any way even discusses raw vs pasteurized (even though I would never use raw...)

I know it's a discussion in some online groups currently since the avian flu virus jumped to cow udders but that would not be a topic for general forum use here, only maybe in the, "Debates," section...but, it is not a big discussion in relation to weight management. What am I missing?

In terms of nutrition, I don't think there would be much difference other than potentially more fat than what one would find in the pasteurized milk in the store. I know from drinking fresh milk when growing up when at my uncle's farm, it tastes much better.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    I suspect OP's bigger deal may be the comment about "the product range"? In other words, if people are talking about brands or food products available, they might be different in Australia?

That didn't jump out at me at first, since the title focused me elsewhere. Also, since I eat a lot of so-called whole foods, those aren't going to be dramatically different from country to country, seems like: Onions, black beans, oranges, kale, quinoa, etc. . . . if the country has the thing, it's probably quite similar to the thing in other countries.
  • fitnivz
    fitnivz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I suspect OP's bigger deal may be the comment about "the product range"? In other words, if people are talking about brands or food products available, they might be different in Australia?

That didn't jump out at me at first, since the title focused me elsewhere. Also, since I eat a lot of so-called whole foods, those aren't going to be dramatically different from country to country, seems like: Onions, black beans, oranges, kale, quinoa, etc. . . . if the country has the thing, it's probably quite similar to the thing in other countries.

That’s right, I follow a few people online for inspiration but all are American. I thought it’d be good to find people locally who use the similar products especially animal based.
    Regarding dairy, I can’t have normal dairy due to acne issues. So, it’s always good to know what choices others are making when we don’t have raw dairy available 🤷‍♀️
  • fitnivz
    fitnivz Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Raw dairy is not so important from weight management pov. However, my skin starts breaking out as soon as I introduce pasteurised dairy back in my diet. While travelling overseas, I did try raw and had no problems. I thought people here might have found some better versions (even pasteurised) to share.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    fitnivz wrote: »

Raw dairy is not so important from weight management pov. However, my skin starts breaking out as soon as I introduce pasteurised dairy back in my diet. While travelling overseas, I did try raw and had no problems. I thought people here might have found some better versions (even pasteurised) to share.

Oh, so you want people to suggest things that in their particular case don't cause skin issues? I would think that's highly individual.

Eat the foods you like (and that don't affect you negatively) in the portions that keep you within your calories and you'll succeed. That's it. :flowerforyou:

If you are seeking AU contacts, I get that...

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    fitnivz wrote: »

Maybe try non-cow's milk (goat, sheep, whatever is available to you) or plant based milk (soy, oat, rice, almond, what have you).