Keto for weight loss right though struggling with an eating disorder.

Options
Tw: discussion of eating disorders.

I have been dealing with bulimia for 2 years and every time I've tried to go keto, I've failed since it's too hard for me to manage my carb cravings so i end up binging and purging on carbs. (I am trying to lose 15 kg/30 lbs and it is within the healthy range of bmi) Meanwhile when i try to eat a balanced ratio of macros (but in deficit) i feel horrible. Headaches all the time, Digestive issues, and just feeling tired all the time. I desperately need some help. I want to eat normally again but i face these same repetitive obstacles every time. Has anybody gone through a similar experience?
Tagged:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Your first step should be dealing with a counselor on the eating issue behavior. And then a dietician to help you put together an eating plan you CAN DO without issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with ninerbuff.

This is above our pay grade here as a bunch of amateur foodies.

Eating disorders are psychological, then physical - and it's a vicious circle that needs professional help to help you break free.

You can figure this out. I hope you reach out for help today.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Even as a person who eat Keto, I know my experience is you don't need to eat Keto to lose weight. The advice Ninerbuff gave is excellent. You need to work with professionals who can deal with both your eating disorder and put together an eating program that works for you.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    A doctor specializing in these disorders will be a lot better to ask than a bunch of keyboard jockeys like us.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. The high level of restrictive behavior necessary to do keto could be extremely problematic when coupled with an eating disorder.
  • MarieBuch10
    MarieBuch10 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    I struggled with bulimia for years. Being so young and wanting to lose weight coupled with seeing all the different weight loss "solutions" that demonized all the food I like created a perfect storm. Denying myself the food I wanted made me want it even more. I'd eat my "healthy" food, and end up bingeing the food I'd wanted in the first place. What worked for me was allowing myself to only eat food I really wanted. And I'd track it here. I also had to stop trying to starve myself by eating insanely low calories. I went from 1200 a day to 1600 a day, and now several years later I'm at 2000-2250 a day. I've gained probably 15lbs, am still in a healhy weight range for my height, and started lifting weights so am happy with my body. One of the things that helped me stop purging is knowing the lasting damage it does to your body. It ruins the enamel on your teeth, causes lasting GI issues, and the thing that really scared me away from it is the damage it can do to your heart.

You may be lacking important vitamins and minerals from the bulimia which can make you feel the issues you're having. I'd definitely be evaluated by a doctor and let them know what's been going on so they can do a proper evaluation. Have them do blood work to see what you're lacking, and then maybe ask them how to bring your levels up to normal. It isn't easy but it's doable. I haven't purged in probably 4 years at this point and rarely think about doing so.