Hello! New to the discussion experience here! How should I eat to avoid getting sick?

Options
deewip
deewip Posts: 12 Member
I have been using a compounded version of Wegovy since February of this year. I have lost 20 lbs but need to lose 45 more. But I know this has to be forever. I had to go the compound way because after several attempts I disappointingly found out that my insurance does not cover weightloss medication…no matter how much you may qualify for it. The only thing I was contending with is some nausea and constipation - until yesterday. After titrating up to the highest dose, going from 2.0 to 2.4 mg, I woke up not hungry so I still ate an applesauce and premiere choc shake. Mid morning I felt shaky so I ate a cheese stick. Half way through I got sick - first time ever on this medication. Now I am so scared to eat. Do I do bananas applesauce and broth to avoid getting sick from now on?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• deewip
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @ paperpudding. That’s what I think I will do. I was able to eat a little more today but still a little sensitive. I’m hoping tomorrow will be even better. Thank you for your suggestion.

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 17
    Options
    Hi, @deewip

Maybe, you just simply got sick and it’s nothing to do with the meds, and you’re panicking unnecessarily.

There’s a stomach bug making the rounds near me.

It also sounds like you’re not eating much, and maybe relying on “easy” low cal foods. If I’m very active and don’t eat enough, I can get a bit barfy feeling. Or, if I take a multi-vitamin on an empty tummy.

It almost sounds like you’re unsure of the compounded version and ready to blame everything on it. At least, that’s how it comes across in your post, to me, fwiw.

And would you seriously consider broth bananas and toast forever and ever, amen? That’s a giant heck no from me!

Are you getting professsional medical advice? Who’s telling you when and how much to increase dosage? (Asking because I’m not sure how it works if you go non-doc route.)

I would carry on as you were before, making sure you’re eating adequately and healthily, and if it continues, seek help from your doctor before continuing the meds?

Have you got a plan in place to wean off but still be able to maintain once you reach goal?

Sorry you’re experiencing this. I lost my weight before the injections were a thing, so didn’t go through this, but you’ll find a lot of support here either way. Hugs! 😘
  • deewip
    Options
    @springlering62
    Thanks so much for replying. I am totally for the compounding version and I actually was thinking while I was sick that - wow! It must be similar to the real thing since I have heard of others getting sick while taking Wegovy. I just have never gotten sick until now and maybe was a little naive thinking that I avoided it. I am under doctors care but it’s mostly just monitoring my weight monthly. I probably will contact her and see if she has any suggestions. I just was hoping if there was any way or anything I could do because I don’t want to eat hardly anything. Before I started the increased dose I was eating alright. It was just that next morning when I didn’t feel hungry. I’m thinking that I need to keep my blood sugar from dropping and that may be my problem. We will see. But thanks for the encouragement!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Nausea is a common side effect on these types of medication - it could be you dont tolerate the titrated levels and need t o stay on the lower level or titrate more gradually

It could also be coincidence and unrelated the to the medication - people do get tummy bugs or react to foods

I would see what happens o n the titrated dose for about a week - if the nausea settles, that was not the cause or you have adjusted to the higher dose.

If it does not, contact your doctor about adjusting the dose/rate of titration.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling today? Still nauseous?

There’s several threads here for people using the injections. Maybe you could consider posting in them to see if anyone has suggestions for calming the nausea.

It can be really random stuff sometimes. I had a dear friend who went through chemo, and food was tasting awful to her. Someone she met in the waiting room told her to switch to plastic utensils, that the metal forks and spoons triggered her nausea. Small change, but really helped with her nausea during chemo. Sometimes you just need the same experience as you to guide you.

Maybe changing up what you eat, or even the order you eat it in might help? Or changing from (random example) eggs for breakfast to a chaffle or sandwich might settle your stomach?

As doofy as it sounds, when I take my vitamins after breakfast, I’ve learnt that simply taking the multivitamin before the others helps me. For some reason that multi just rocks my stomach.

Just paying attention to your body signals can tell you a lot of stuff. I never paid attention while obese, but I sure do now!

Seems dreadful to wish a tummy bug on someone but hoping that’s all it is!
  • deewip
    Options
    @springlering62. I'm feeling better and tummy is feeling stronger. I will try to incorporate more food today. Thank you so much for asking.