Anyone with endometriosis lose weight?

Options
MiuNya
MiuNya Posts: 38 Member
edited June 17 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been stuck at the same weight for months despite going gym, tracking and weighing my food and eating low cal for my height (which is short....). Nothing! I have stage 4 endo and I fear my hormones are whack. I take hormone balance natural pills and multivitamins, garcinia cambogia, primrose oil and cod liver oil daily.

So anyone else who has endo lost weight? Maybe there's something else wrong with me. Whenever I get a blood test I get told there's nothing wrong.

I have about 50lbs to lose!

Thanks everyone.
Tagged:

Answers

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    If you have been at the same weight for months, you are eating at maintenance.

Make sure your logging is spot-on. Make sure you're using the right entries for the foods you're eating and log everything. If you want to change your weight, you'll need to either change your calorie intake or your calorie output or both.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    What mtaratoot said.

Weight loss is challenging for pretty much everyone, especially loss of a substantial amount of weight and keeping it off long term.

Any of us have reasons that seem like they might make it especially hard for us personally. (For me, those might be severe hypothyroidism, older age (now 68), menopausal status, some physical problems (torn meniscus, osteoarthritis, etc.) that constrain exercise choices. But I did lose weight.)

In general, there's nothing that completely prevents weight loss under any and all circumstances. There are challenges, but I feel like we can either point to them as rationales for lack of progress, or we can focus our energy on how to get over, around, or otherwise past those things to reach our goals.

Some challenges are utterly insurmountable, and a very few might literally prevent reaching a goal. (As an extreme example, there are few world-class violinists who have no arms.) I don't don't personally think there are challenges that make weight loss literally impossible, but some make it very hard. Some health conditions or the like do mean that some people require fewer calories than the so-called calculators suggest.

If your doctors can't find a hormonal problem, and you've been absolutely consistently been eating at this calorie level on average for multiple months (no breaks, cheats, etc.) then I think that mtaratoot is right: You've unfortunately found current maintenance calories.

There are somewhat rare cases where a person has stuck to low-ish calories for a long time, and created some level of physical adaptation to low calorie intake. This is not "starvation mode" where weight loss is impossible. It's being at a calorie level where the body has found a way to maintain weight by downregulating certain things like core body temperature, reduced unconscious movement, hair/nails growth, and more. In that very narrow, rare band of cases, some people MAY be able to very gradually increase calories (like adding 50 calories per day every couple of weeks, maybe), and perk things up a bit so they can lose weight at slightly higher calories. It's an understatement to say that this is far from a sure thing.