Introduction after reversing diabetes and weight loss

Options
Hello everyone! I am not usually one for being social online and discussing things, but I just wanted to introduce myself, tell a bit about my story and hopefully it resonates with some people who may need to get into the right mindset.

In January 2024, At 5ft 9, I weighed 154kg (24.3 stone). I had been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 for about a year and a half by this point, and basically ate a takeaway every other night. I also got diagnosed with sleep apnea, although not the most extreme form, but still my sleep was broken. Like many people, I told myself I was going to eat healthier, that the sleep I was having was normal, and that I didn't need any help.

I joined a program called Momenta In late Jan 2024, a program that helps reverse diabetes and sets you up to eat healthier and understand your choices. It is a year long program where for 12 weeks, you are on 800 calories a day, soups and shakes only, then on a restricted diet for a few months, then back to normal. You meet as a group at first weekly, then fortnightly, then monthly for check ins and to discuss lifestyle choices.

Before I started this, me (and to be fair, all my family and friends) thought I would be bouncing off walls, sneaking foods, struggling to stick with it. I am close to 40, if I didn't do something now, it would only get more difficult and, most likely, I never would.

To cut a long story short, I went into this program all guns blazing. I stuck to it, I actually didn't become moody or stressed with it, I treated it like a project and stuck to it religiously. The hardest part of anything is the mindset; if you don't have the mindset for it, you will not do it. My mindset was strong; this is your last chance to get healthy and enjoy things you used to enjoy. When it came back to "real" foods, at first I used a spreadsheet and wrote down what I would eat (protein, carbs, veg) for the following week as a rule, so it was all planned. This really helped me, it takes away that "havent planned for anything, just make it easy and get a takeaway" thought pattern. Planning your foods, and even meal prepping certain things (i.e. bulk cook healthy homemade sauces ready to use, popping them in the freezer) really is a game changer when prepping for a healthier lifestyle.

As I moved back to the normal diet stage, which is now, I joined MFP to track what I am eating. Im still on a deficit, as I want to reach my ideal weight, so I am on 1500 or less still.

Somethings that vastly improved now I have reversed my diabetes and I am at a far healthier weight; I cycle daily and can do a distance I used to be able to do when I was 20 and healthy. My sleep has improved tenfold; I sleep deep and long. I can do stairs and hills without getting out of breath. My mood is so much better. Clothes....the feeling you get when you walk into a shop and are able to fit a medium T shirt when previously you had to order sizes online because a lot of shops don't stock your size....theres no better feeling. I have a lot more disposable cash because although takeaways or fast food may seem cheap, they really are not. What I have discovered is, you never see you have a problem until you fix the problem and look back. Take sleep for example; I honestly thought my sleep was fine because I was so used to it.

To give you the stats to date, I am now 103kg (16.2 stone). I still have a bit to go, my ideal weight is about 77kg, which I should achieve by the end of the year. I have signed up to my first local cycle event (not a race, just a long distance ride). I've donated all my old clothing to charity and bought in newer clothes. I feel more fit than I ever have before.

The hardest thing isn't reducing your food, increasing exercise, planning, prepping. The hardest thing is getting into the mindset. Once you have the right mindset, then the rest will follow so easily. And the benefits....you will look back and realise that its all worth it.

I am hoping this post helps some people, motivates some people. I tried to get enough of my story across, but I am open to questions. If you managed to take the time to read it all, thank you, and if you are on a journey like me, good luck.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    @paullowden1986

Welcome to the boards! And what a great success story from the opening gate!

Much continued success to you.

Be sure to check out the NSV (non-scale victories) thread over on Success Stories. It helped me a lot when I got closer to goal and losses slowed. I’ve read, related and cheered every single one of the thousands of posts on that thread.

You are awesome!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,927 Member
    Options
    What a great story: Congratulations on your amazing progress so far - what an example!

I'd bet money that with your commitment and mindset, you'll take this all the way home. Good show!
  • phildog50
    phildog50 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 18
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, diagnosed type 2 diabetic a little over a year ago, but trying to follow a ketogenic diet to reverse the diabetes
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story- thanks for sharing