needing some help here re: heart healthy / low sodium

Dia_R
Dia_R Posts: 37 Member
My husband recently had a triple bypass. They sent him home without diet restrictions, saying "just eat, you need to heal." A month later we've been back to the hospital twice with post-surgical complications, and he's now on diuretics. We've gotten all kinds of mixed advice by our medical professionals, from "just do what you've been doing" to "low sodium diet" or "eat heart healthy" without a lot of real concrete guidance. We've met with two different dieticians in two different hospitals. One was fairly helpful, advising us to shop the periphery of the store and focus on whole foods rather than processed/convenience foods. The other admitted that we were her first cardiac consultation, and advised us to avoid anything trans-fat, hydrogenated, or added sugars. So now I'm trying to educate myself, using information online from the American Heart Association as a guide. https://www.heart.org/-/media/AHA/H4GM/PDF-Files/ChangeSaltyWays_InfoG_Nov2014.pdf

I would very much welcome support and feedback from folks in the trenches who have been where we are, and mastered the change to heart-healthy, low-sodium, cardiac diet, or whatever terms are being used. Thanks in advance!

P.S. positive vibes to all the vegans and vegetarians out there, but this girl is very much a carnivore, and unlikely to change that anytime soon. :smile:

Replies

• FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 398 Member
    edited June 23
    I haven't been where you are, but there is a way of eating that will lower your husband's blood pressure. It's the paleo diet.

I did paleo in my early 40s and during that time when I visited my MD my blood pressure was always very low. One time the nurse measured it at 98/54 and asked me if I was taking medication for my blood pressure. I wasn't. I've never had a blood pressure problem or taken medication for that. The diet naturally lowers pressure due to the types of foods that are no longer being consumed. It is a healthier diet overall and a lot of people who are type 2 diabetic report good results on it. When my father was diagnosed type 2 diabetic, the diet he was put on was very similar to the paleo diet.

It's worth looking into for your husband. The only caveat is that he may have very low
    energy. I had to give up the diet for that reason. But in your case you are in a life and death situation, so having to take a couple naps or rests throughout the day isn't such a bad trade off when he can maintain life.