Prediabetes or Diabetic Macros?

Hi, I was diagnosed as prediabetic and I'm trying to get my AIC/blood sugar down. I also need to lose about 25 lbs. Does anyone know what macros are good for this? It seems every source recommends something different. Also trying to figure out how to track added sugar - it seems that MFP only tracks total sugar, which would include fruit. Thanks.

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 471 Member
    edited June 24
    Theres no magic formula to figure out for this. I saw my dr last week, and weighed in 20 lbs lighter than last time, showing improvements in A1C and BP. My glucose was still too high, since I was not cutting down alcohol. Dr said if I could cut calories with such discipline, I should also cut down alcohol.

I COMPLETELY ignored macros and lost weight simply (not easily) by cutting calories so I was in deficit.

On the other hand- you will probably want to experiment with macros adjustments for the sake of feeling full longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,245 Member
    edited June 24
    Yeah, if you're not being put under medical supervision you'll have to make some sort of "rules" for yourself regarding sugars and carbs.

It's likely that your numbers will improve drastically just with weight loss and some regular moderate exercise.

For now, set your goals and try to hit them. Many people find that a macros setting at 30/30/30 (ish, there's 10% there to play with) is a good way to cut carbs a little, get enough protein and fat, and generally feel satiated. I think the default settings on myfitnesspal are fine, but I didn't really stick to them anyway. I was always high on fats and low on carbs - just naturally the way I eat/like to eat.

So when I was losing I was eating around 45% fat, 20% protein, and about 35% carbs. That allowed for a slice or two of bread and/or a serving of rice, potatoes, or pasta per day. At my calorie goal that was 100-150g carbs. That's a lowish-to-medium amount of carbs at my 1500-1600 calories. 1800-1900 calories on days I exercised.

The sugars in dairy and fruit and vegetables? I would say don't worry about that, but talk to your medical team. If you try to stay in goals you'll naturally gravitate away from sugars/grains and gravitate toward healthy fats, nuts, legumes, lowfat dairy, whole fruits and vegetables, some whole grains, and lean protein...so it will take care of itself, is my guess. Keep an eye out to get sufficient fiber, that will help your blood sugar and your satiation.