What are the most effective lifestyle changes one can make to achieve sustainable weight loss while

2»

Answers

• fileitunderfamily
    fileitunderfamily Posts: 1 Member
    I don’t drink soda or alcohol. I’ve cut out all added sugars. I walk and or swim each day. Doesn’t have to be huge amount of times. Sometimes I walk a mile to a mile and a half and I swim 20 laps in the pool. Every little bit helps. Although I have wait to lose I’m really focused on feeling healthier. And so far it’s working and I’ve lost 11 pounds.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    edited July 15
    * I don't buy it unless I'm really prepared to eat it - and log the calories (for me that means not even going to those aisles in the first place). It also means if I really want a bar of chocolate I have to get up and go to the shop. And if I do get up and go to the store specifically for a treat, then I guess I really wanted it and that is ok.
    * I don't eat junk snack foods if I'm hungry - at least start with fruit or something healthy
    * Reframed emotional eating - comfort foods don't comfort, they make me feel worse (also, see last point)
    * I can't out run a bad diet; don't eat 1500 calories of crap and think you can exercise your way to winning
    * Education - health and nutrition podcasts
    *Last, but definitely not least; sleep and self care.

FWIW I haven't won but I've been doing this a while. Everyone has to find what works for them.
  • boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 25 Member
    Since we do not know any specifics about you what worked for us may not work for you...SO pick one or two changes you can make and feel you can stick with for a long time and make those 1-2 changes. For me it was 1) no eating after 7pm and 2) no more than 12 grams of added sugars/day (must read labels). I have been able to maintain those 2 changes for 2 years now.
    Once those changes are easy for you (whatever changes you chose that help you towards your goal) find one more area you can make a change for the better in and add that change. Keep doing this one step at a time and you will find your path to your goals.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,440 Member
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    * I don't buy it unless I'm really prepared to eat it - and log the calories (for me that means not even going to those aisles in the first place). It also means if I really want a bar of chocolate I have to get up and go to the shop. And if I do get up and go to the store specifically for a treat, then I guess I really wanted it and that is ok.
    * I don't eat junk snack foods if I'm hungry - at least start with fruit or something healthy
    * Reframed emotional eating - comfort foods don't comfort, they make me feel worse (also, see last point)
    * I can't out run a bad diet; don't eat 1500 calories of crap and think you can exercise your way to winning
    * Education - health and nutrition podcasts
    *Last, but definitely not least; sleep and self care.

FWIW I haven't won but I've been doing this a while. Everyone has to find what works for them.

@Jacq_qui - excellent, rather profound change in attitude and approach, ty for the share
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    Thanks! @Adventurista I'm apparently a very slow learner, it's a journey for sure :)