WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,016 Member
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited July 22
    Ginny - I'd probably want a retirement facility that had a gym, clubhouse - a place to get together with friends. And walking friendly. Gated. Hope the right spot shows up for you. Glad you enjoyed your visit with the grands.

Beth - many hugs. Hope your mom is closer to being in a better facility. Has to be worrisome. You are a great daughter to keep close tabs on her.

Margaret - good job on the weight loss and even greater job on your journey toward better health. Do you have a weight goal in mind or are you just letting your body establish a healthy set point? That's kind of where I'm at. My goal was my clothing fitting better, and I'm pretty much there.

Annie - I'm ready to go back to watching health videos on YouTube and leave the news alone again. I just received the ballot for the primaries in our state. There are over 20 people running for governor, although just a few have really done any campaigning that I'm aware of.

Butler PA rabbit hole stuff from my 911 perspective - please skip if you're tired of the whole she-bang (I don't intend to make this a constant topic of discussion!)
    ... I was intrigued by the recent events in Butler PA, especially the Secret Service (USSS) and likely gaps in surveillance and training. In 1996, President Clinton and VP Gore made a whistle stop in a community close by. I was working at the 911 Center at the time, and the cops stopped in and reported they were told to just do traffic control, the USSS would handle everything else. And they did. The USSS communicated on a radio frequency the 911 Center was unable to monitor, although I recall they could get onto our law channels if they needed to. Very glad that everything is beefed up now for all candidates.

On top of that, different theories have come to light regarding JFK's assassination. I wonder how that investigation would have gone if everyone lining the street would have had cellphones recording everything and everybody... :| and drones could have been employed to help spot trouble.

Carol - thinking of you this morning. Best wishes on a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Scam report:
    Friend T and her DH stopped by yesterday. They told me about an elderly friend and his wife who live in an area with mostly seniors, and who was scammed out of $25,000. This fellow answered a phone call and was told some story that he needed to pay $$ or there would be consequences. The man got scared, came up with the money, put it in a box and set it on the kitchen counter. But something told him it might be a scam and he started calling trusted friends who advised him not to go through with it. Evidently he left the house for a while, and the scammers came to the door. His wife, who is disabled and starting to have memory loss, gave the scammers the box of money. :( THIS is why I do not answer my landline phone, and let the answering machine filter all calls. Only trusted friends and businesses have my cellphone number. And they use email or messaging to communicate with me most of the time.

It's going to be a GREAT week! :) I don't have any appointments other than Rosie's annual vet checkup Wednesday morning. Will walk a little with neighbor D tomorrow and see what's new at her house. Diabetes Prevention ZOOM class has been cancelled for this afternoon.

So far this morning I have washed both cars (it's cool and overcast) and might hop on the mower later today when the sun comes out and dries things off a bit.

Make it a fabulous week. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,559 Member
    MFP Weekly Check-in July 22, 2024

Debbie in Napa Valley, CA - 149.6 this morning. A tiny bit down from last week but still up 2 pounds from 3 weeks ago.

Barbara on the Southern Oregon Coast - Better than yesterday:
    Move: steps 6/7, PT 4/7, dog group, 1 BB&B, 2 line dance and one Zumba class.
    Fuel: sugar 5/7, CI<CO 7/7, AF 4/7
    Wt today down 2.0 lbs from last week.
    Not enough PT. Challenge again this week will be to do some form of PT every day there is no BB&B class.

Rita in Roswell, NM - Today I was down to 172 from starting weight of 186! That’s 16 pounds down! I’m excited! It may be all the work I’m doing to get there, or the Jardiance, or both, but I’ll take it!! Down 4.5 pounds from last week. Seems like a lot but must have been holding on to a lot of water. I am going to the bathroom more often- a side effect of the Jardiance getting rid of all the sugar in my body. Should slow down next week. We will see….

Sue in WA State - I have had a pretty good week. Kept up with exercise. Eating not too bad although still too much sugar. I have days of fatigue caused by sarcoidosis and A-fib and tend to eat more on those days trying to give myself energy. It does not work and I know that but I continue to feed myself thinking it will. Not sure how to get a handle on that.

Lanette SW WA State – weight staying in range. Have added calf stretches and some “knee planks” to my early morning stretch routine. Still house walking and doing the Farmer’s walk, both with 8# weights and also with heavy watering cans outside.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,757 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    I just got a check in the mail for my MS Ride! Was that you Auntiebk ?. You didn’t miss the window, the ride is t until September, thanks soooo much! I’m up to $155.91 !!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Yum! Had fresh blueberries from our own bushes on my yogurt this morning. Cool and cloudy again today. DD and neighbor took advantage of weather yesterday to clean up scrap piles and take metal to recycling. The pile that was next to the garden shed is now all cleaned up.

Carol - hope you have the best possible outcome with your knee surgery. Be sure you do the prescribed PT.

Heather - sounds like your preparations are moving apace.

Margaret - DD and her best friend looked at going to Bouchart gardens in Victoria, Canada but the entry price has gone up to $80 so they are making other plans.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,193 Member
    edited July 22
    Surprisingly there was no charge to get into the garden. I learned from my cousin if you buy a membership to Missouri Botanical it is good to get you into other Arboretums throughout the country. Perhaps Canada has something like that. I did give a donation to the garden. They were selling root beer floats to support the garden. I just gave them money and did not take the float.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,124 Member
    edited July 22
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Yum! Had fresh blueberries from our own bushes on my yogurt this morning. Cool and cloudy again today. DD and neighbor took advantage of weather yesterday to clean up scrap piles and take metal to recycling. The pile that was next to the garden shed is now all cleaned up.

Margaret - DD and her best friend looked at going to Bouchart gardens in Victoria, Canada but the entry price has gone up to $80 so they are making other plans.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

I had to look that up- Not sure which tickets they were looking at for Butchart Gardens.
    Their site says-Price Range$26.80 - $41.50
    $80 for the annual pass

I have been there a few times and loved it. I know it wasn't anywhere near that expensive when we went because my parents wouldn't have paid that much
    Loved being there at night with all the lights.
    :

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,722 Member
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34