Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Bring back some sort of Newsfeed.

I tried “community “ when I joined, a few times after and recently. It is hard to feel engaged, negativity is a thing and much more tedious. I so, so, so miss the daily check-ins and inspiration from my friends. It is/was what set MFP apart from others.
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I didn't like Newsfeed personally because it just seemed like a bunch of rah, rah. And while I don't mind the encouragement daily, I felt many times people were just being kind and not really objective.
    In Community, there are so many here that are well versed in fitness and diet and to be able to share with people the pitfalls, how to get out of them, advice on exercise, diet, etc., I feel is way more conducive for those trying to improve their health, weight and habits. Some may take it as negative feedback if they don't get the answers they were hoping for, but in life that's how it is. It's not always going to be rosy and great even if you did everything right. You'll get encouragement to continue though it may not be in the "you got this!", "you're on fire" responses. Usually it will be more direct and I know some don't take to that well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Have you considered joining one of the check-in groups in the Challenges or Motivation parts of the Community?

Some of those have an atmosphere a little more like the newsfeed. You can read the intro posts, find one(s) that seem to suit your style, maybe give it a try.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    edited July 15
    I see your point, niner, but what’s missing is more than getting likes on your daily updates. It's not just the encouragement but the feeling of accountability from an open diary, seeing others' weigh-in updates, being able to see their diary, and curating a private feed of people with similar goals and interests. I had collected a great list of inspiring friends... but lately I have been deleting all the inactive accounts. I am currently down to 49, all of whom were active until May/June, but only 15 of them have logged in since mid-June. This site is just hemorrhaging users. I'm still here mostly just because I joined in 2011 and I don't want to lose my logs.

A private group would give you something almost similar, but there are a LOT of MFP users who have never come over here. Very few of the ladies on my friends list ever used the forums, yet somehow that's not considered a little-used feature. 🤷‍♀️