What is WRONG with people?!?!

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    There is actually a study that says that if you discuss your goals and plans you are less likely to achieve them. After reading an article about that study, I've kept mum about my plans and goals.

I'm about to reach a milestone this weekend. I'll share the info after the fact, though. I haven't told anyone what I'm up to, and I'm approaching my goal much faster than I would have guessed.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/05/12/talking-the-talk.html

Interesting... I don't like to tell everybody my goals, either. Just my husband and best friend. (And a big congrats on your upcoming milestone, btw.)

OP: There's always going to be someone who thinks they're being helpful by trying to get you to push yourself harder. Take it as their form of caring about you and just say thanks, but you know your own body and you're sticking with your own plan. It sounds like you have it going on, girl!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Do your Best..Forget the Rest .. as Tony Horton says. You can do it ! It sounds like you want it bad enough and you have a good plan. So just do your best. You will succeed. Good Luck.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    I am a little confused. You don't plan on starting to run until April and that will give you maybe 2 months to run 3.1 miles? It has taken me 2 months to be able to do 2 miles. I wish you the best and hope you can do it.

Because my cardio conditioning is already fairly high, I just have to use things to absorb some of the shock to my joints (like a mini-trampoline). The training plan I want to start is the couch to 5K plan, which is a 9 week training plan.
  • ThriceBlessed
    I am a little confused. You don't plan on starting to run until April and that will give you maybe 2 months to run 3.1 miles? It has taken me 2 months to be able to do 2 miles. I wish you the best and hope you can do it.

Because my cardio conditioning is already fairly high, I just have to use things to absorb some of the shock to my joints (like a mini-trampoline). The training plan I want to start is the couch to 5K plan, which is a 9 week training plan.

Incidentally, here is the plan: http://cnycap.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Couch-to-5k.pdf
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I don't know. There are a lot of people who say "I'd like to be able to run a 5k later" They either need a bit of a push now, or should simply be ignored until they get out there for their first run. I'm not sure what you were looking for by posting that you'd like to attempt to start running in April.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    ?????? are u serious?
    I can see only a person trying to encourage you! Obviously s/he doesn't know your fitness level or that you have problems to the ankles. Or s/he may be thinking you can also start now running little by little because even some fat people can run!!
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    I definitely select who I am going to share my goals with. Even when talking to people, when I have told people I want to lose weight, they will start telling me all of the things I should do and what will work best and who else I should talk to (and all of the people giving me advice weighed way more than me!). People just want to be helpful or not worry about what they should be doing.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    I don't know (SMH) but this post seems to much ado about nothing. The problem I see is the attitude you brought to the table not the poster who was trying to be positive.

First, posting anything to the public forum will be an opportunity for people to respond in various ways. The person you are upset with was just as encouraging or more than the ones you were not because they apeased to your mind frame.

If you would not have responded to the poster it most likely would have been the end of the story but you had to go back and forth and get upset over nothing. Attitude brings gratitude and when you are in the right frame of mind things roll off you like water off a ducks back.

Do what you are plan to do but if you continue to take small matters as personal as this one then you have other problems other than weight.

Just saying since you once again put this out here on a public forum which solicits all types of opinions whether you like them or not.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Okay, so earlier this evening I posted the following status on my Facebook page: "Okay, so I want to be able to run a 5K by next June. I've never been a runner. Even as a child I avoided running if at all possible, but now I am seeing this as something I'd like to start. I don't know if I'll sign up for an actual race, and I don't know if it will take me that long to be fit enough to do it, I may be ready before then. I'll officially start the couch to 5k plan in April if all goes well, but in the meantime I am working on losing as much weight as I can, I'd really like to be under 200 before I start the couch to 5k plan. So for now I'm continuing with T25 and lots of walking, plus counting every calorie that I consume. I guess I am officially in training now, but the first phase of the training is just general fitness, and the actual running training will begin when I am fit enough to do so without hurting myself."

Now, instead of just getting encouraging likes and "you can do it" remarks, I get someone trying to talk me into doing it sooner, or doing a half marathon instead. I reply to them, "I weigh 254 pounds, and have a foot injury that flares up when my weight gets higher than 230. I want to take the time to lose 55 pounds before I even start the running phase of the training."

And they continue to try to "encourage me" to push myself harder and go for it sooner.

I reply again, "What I am planning is to continue watching what I eat and working out for September - March or April that's 7-8 months, at around a 2 pound loss per week I'd be able to lose 56 pounds in 7 months, so I did put thought into the timing of the running. I want to be under 200 pounds before I ask my foot to take the pounding running will put on it."

Then they finally suggest walking a 5k... well, I walk not 5 kilometers, but 5 miles EVERY DAY, sometimes more. So walking a 5K isn't really a goal to aim for, I've exceeded that long ago. I want to take it slow and work up to running so that I don't injure myself and become unable to work out at all, is that so hard to understand?

What is it that makes some people think they know what's best for everyone?

I think your goal is right on for your current situation and fits in line with your other goals. Stick with what you have planned. You'll do just fine. As a runner, I can promise you it's MUCH easier to do at a lighter weight. I ran 6 half marathons over 200 lbs and was injured for each one. I ended up walking most of them and was depressed and miserable b/c it didn't go the way I had hoped it would. I made a goal of reaching 183 lbs and my reward was picking and starting a half marathon training plan. I told myself I would not train for a half marathon again until I reached 183 lbs. I stuck with it and it worked. I ran a half marathon last weekend - actually RAN the whole thing, reached my time goal and felt amazing the whole time. Slow training, strengthening and weight loss will make it more enjoyable for you in the long run. Anything worth having is worth waiting for and worth working toward. Do it how you want to do it. No one knows what's best for you except for you. Move at your own speed and run your own race.

I think it's great that she was trying to push you to reach higher, but sometimes baby steps work best.

Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Well... you know the person was only trying to be supportive. If no one commented or liked your status at all, you would be totally discouraged. Everybody has their own ways to offer support. You know what works for you. Why not just thank them for their advice and go on with your plans as you've structured?

Why does it bother you that someone tried to offer a little more support beyond the typical "WTG's" and "you-can-do-it's"?
  • ThriceBlessed
    I don't know. There are a lot of people who say "I'd like to be able to run a 5k later" They either need a bit of a push now, or should simply be ignored until they get out there for their first run. I'm not sure what you were looking for by posting that you'd like to attempt to start running in April.

Because, as I said in the original post, my training starts now. The first, and longest phase of the training is to continue regular walking and strength training, along with swimming and other activities, and to lose weight. The final phase of the training will be actually following the C5K plan.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    My Facebook gets littered with "hope you like your future knee replacement" and other rubbish from people that don't know squat about running. I keep my running plans to the communities that they pertain to so I can get better informed opinions.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    The way I see it...and this is strictly my view of it.....I think the person who was responding to you on facebook was trying to point out to you that you don't have to be a certain weight to start the C25K program.

In the C25K group I have seen several 200+ people start and complete the program successfully. And that includes some people that were closer to the 250/300 pound mark. If you are walking 5+ miles a day, you are more than ready for something like C25K. I understand your wanting to be below 200 pounds to start, and if that is what you -want- to do then fine.

But I honestly don't think it is fair to vent anger about someone who was only trying to encourage you to not look at weight as a something that holds you back.

I agree that in most cases it doesn't have to be like that, its because of my foot that I want to wait. I may not insist on being under 200, but I do have to be light enough that my foot doesn't swell up and hurt if I run on it for more than 15 seconds at a stretch.
    Your foot swelling up and hurting after running could be because your foot isn't used to it either. So you may or may not get the same thing even if you have lost the weight. Running uses your feet in different ways, and if you have never ran before your feet won't be the only thing that swell. Your calf muscles, hamstrings, glutes, all of them will swell until they catch on to what you are wanting them to do.

Also, your feet swelling could be because of improper shoes, or your laces being tied too tight. Could be because of your form or your foot fall.

Sorry if I seem unsupportive, that isn't the case. I support all runners, especially new ones because I was there before. I just don't believe in using weight as an excuse to hold you back.

Thanks, and I don't take this thread as unsupportive because I actually ASKED a question. However, my foot swells and hurts because years ago I rolled it and sprained my ankle. The sprained ankle itself took a very long time to stop hurting because I was so heavy at the time (I weigh less now). When the ankle healed, the foot still hurt. Despite many x-rays my doctor couldn't find why. Finally it was discovered that I'd dislocated some joints in the foot itself, and stretched the soft tissues. The joints popped snapped back in place fairly easily, but almost every tendon and ligament in my foot was stretched beyond what it was supposed to be. There was also some cartilage damage. It really sounds worse than it is, and when my weight is below 230 it rarely hurts, the "under 200" mark is just my personal preference, but it really is *essential* that I get under 230 before running.
    Honestly, I don't think so. If you focus on your foot fall and form, go slow, and stretch/warm-up/cool-down properly, repeat weeks or days when needed, then there is no reason you can't start now.

You tell me of your injuries, and I just think of all those who were in Boston that lost limbs and are back training to run only months after the attacks.

You see...when you finally become a runner, you will no longer see injuries or other things as something to hold you back, you just see them as more hills you need to climb, meaning there is a crest at some point, and finally a down hill sprint to the finish.

Maybe it is the runner in me that is failing to fully understand what is holding you back.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Well... you know the person was only trying to be supportive. If no one commented or liked your status at all, you would be totally discouraged. Everybody has their own ways to offer support. You know what works for you. Why not just thank them for their advice and go on with your plans as you've structured?

Why does it bother you that someone tried to offer a little more support beyond the typical "WTG's" and "you-can-do-it's"?

It wasn't that they initially said they thought I could do more, it was the persistence of comment after comment when I clearly stated my reasons for my plan as it is. It would have been fine if they'd accepted my answer after the first time they said, "I think you could do a half marathon by then". It was the arguing to try to get me to change my plans, when I hadn't asked for advice in the first place.

However, I was momentarily irritated, I am not angry with the person or particularly bothered by it now.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Honestly, I don't think so. If you focus on your foot fall and form, go slow, and stretch/warm-up/cool-down properly, repeat weeks or days when needed, then there is no reason you can't start now.

You tell me of your injuries, and I just think of all those who were in Boston that lost limbs and are back training to run only months after the attacks.

You see...when you finally become a runner, you will no longer see injuries or other things as something to hold you back, you just see them as more hills you need to climb, meaning there is a crest at some point, and finally a down hill sprint to the finish.

Maybe it is the runner in me that is failing to fully understand what is holding you back.

Well, you are welcome to your opinion about that. I don't see myself as being "held back", I see myself as making a plan to move forward at a safe pace for my body. I am not putting off training, I am starting it. I can already "run" for a considerable time on a mini trampoline (an hour or more), I can already swim for hours and hours, I can already do tough strength training. Perhaps it is because you are a runner, and I am just someone trying to get into shape, who doesn't plan to make running a lifelong focus, but who wants to be able to do it anyway.
  • if you don't want the world to comment on your plans, don't announce your plans to the world

+1
  • ThriceBlessed
    I don't know (SMH) but this post seems to much ado about nothing. The problem I see is the attitude you brought to the table not the poster who was trying to be positive.

First, posting anything to the public forum will be an opportunity for people to respond in various ways. The person you are upset with was just as encouraging or more than the ones you were not because they apeased to your mind frame.

If you would not have responded to the poster it most likely would have been the end of the story but you had to go back and forth and get upset over nothing. Attitude brings gratitude and when you are in the right frame of mind things roll off you like water off a ducks back.

Do what you are plan to do but if you continue to take small matters as personal as this one then you have other problems other than weight.

Just saying since you once again put this out here on a public forum which solicits all types of opinions whether you like them or not.

Actually, my attitude was quite upbeat and positive until having to explain myself repeatedly.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Again, thanks everyone. My plan is to stick with my plan. And I am not upset or angry about it anymore, as I said, I was temporarily annoyed, but never really seriously angry. At any rate, I can't discuss it anymore, I posted this last night, and have spent enough time on it this morning, I need to get my workout going.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

It wasn't that they initially said they thought I could do more, it was the persistence of comment after comment when I clearly stated my reasons for my plan as it is. It would have been fine if they'd accepted my answer after the first time they said, "I think you could do a half marathon by then". It was the arguing to try to get me to change my plans, when I hadn't asked for advice in the first place.

However, I was momentarily irritated, I am not angry with the person or particularly bothered by it now.

Some people have to have the "last word" and will keep coming back to defend themselves as long as you keep engaging with them. Sometimes it's just easier to thank them for their unwelcome advice and keep it moving!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member

Well, you are welcome to your opinion about that. I don't see myself as being "held back", I see myself as making a plan to move forward at a safe pace for my body. I am not putting off training, I am starting it. I can already "run" for a considerable time on a mini trampoline (an hour or more), I can already swim for hours and hours, I can already do tough strength training. Perhaps it is because you are a runner, and I am just someone trying to get into shape, who doesn't plan to make running a lifelong focus, but who wants to be able to do it anyway.

+1