What is the best way to create healthy meals?

I have a very busy schedule so not a whole lot of time to myself and when I do, I'm at the gym. My trainers say I need a high protein, less cholesterol diet. I can not seem to find a good, free way to explore foods that are healthy, quick and effective.
Tagged:

Answers

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Unless your trainer is a medical doctor, they are in no way qualified to tell you that you need a low-cholesterol diet.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Find a good looking vegan meal and put a big fat salmon fillet on top
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited July 16
    Oh my goodness. I have so many hacks I don’t know where to start.

We don’t get home from aquafit til almost 7pm a couple nights a week, and I can have a nutritious, tasty, high protein meal on the table by 7:20, max.

Tonight will be some frozen chicken and veggie lasagna I made last week, a quick salad and garlic bread. Dinner will be on the table as soon as the bread toasts.

Other favorite quick meals: Taylor Farms stir fry kits from the produce department, with diced browned chicken on top of cauliflower rice.

Pre-made fried rice with added diced chicken, egg, on cauliflower rice, with a little green apple balsamic or a low cal teriyaki sauce. Mix in cauliflower rice. It’s great mixed with rice!

An absolute favorite is diced steak or roast, mixed with toasted onion seasoning for a few hours, browned in a dry plan, served over a toasted cristy dinner roll with a slice of Swiss.

A chicken breast sliced thinly and pounded with a rolling pin, browned with some Lawry’s type seasoning, or honey aleppo seasoning on toasted Lewis “Healthy” bread, with a melted slice of cheese.

Pan fried honey baked ham slices on biscuits with ploughmans jelly.

I use a preheated Ninja pan to brown meats and vegetables using no oils. You’d never know I hadn’t used any.

• springlering62
    pS find ways to speed prep. My daughter, who lives in Europe, watched in horror as I boiled a big pot of water for pasta.

“Mom!’ Use the kettle! It’s faster and uses less
    Electricity!!!” Danged if she wasn’t right. 💡💡💡

I can now have angel hair on the table in ten minutes. Five to boil in the kettle and put the water into a pot, and 3-4 to cook the angel hair.

I can knock out a quick batch of couscous this way, too. Boil in kettle, mix the water with the couscous and voila. Almost instant couscous. Couscous is awesome with meat, sundried tomatoes, and some feta.

Think outside the box.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    You can cook quinoa and also whole grains in a rice cooker
  • springlering62
    If you stop by the house before you go to the gym, your oven may have a timer. I can put in a casserole and set the oven to turn on at 5:30, cook for 45 minutes, and dinner is ready when we get home.

As a retired insurance agent, though, I’m very 😱😱😱 about having appliances run when I’m not there to watch them.