What name does the MyFitnessPal app use for "power snatches"?

RichardRabil
RichardRabil Posts: 3 Member
edited July 17 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, so I'm using the MyFitnessPal app to build a workout routine. When I go to add an exercise and enter "power snatch", I get no results. I thought this was a super standard exercise! Maybe I'm using the wrong term? I see "power clean" and "snatch" and "hang snatch" but no "power snatch".

For an easy visual / video of what I mean by "power snatch": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8SMp7RdXQ

It's different from a "snatch" since you don't do a deep squat.

Let me know if you're aware of a different term I should use! If there isn't one I'll just use "snatch" but I was hoping for more specificity.
Tagged:

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,776 Member
    I don't know what you mean about building a workout routine here. I use Google Sheets to track my workouts and progress. For calories I enter the total session time here via Cardio -> Strength Training (weight lifting, weight training). It's a fools errand to try to compute calories for each of your sets, if that's what you meant.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    A) power snatches probably aren’t in the exercise dbase as they’re specific to Oly lifting or crossfit (not general lifting exercises) and b) your energy output per PS is going to vary depending on the weight, volume and proficiency ie a beginner will burn a lot more calories with a light weight than an experienced lifter. Your energy output will also vary depending on how tired you are - it takes a lot more energy to hold a front rack with a heavy weight at the end of a 2 hr sess compared to the first lift.

I’d second Retroguy’s advice above!
  • RichardRabil
    By building a workout routine, I mean this feature in the app: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036071232-Workout-Routines

See the subheading "How to Build a Routine".

Thanks Retroguy for sharing how you track your progress.

And that's interesting, I didn't realize power snatches were considered a niche type of movement. Thanks claireychn074 for your comment.

I may submit a feature request to add PSes to the DB. Seems it should be doable if they already have snatches and power cleans in there.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,776 Member
    Interesting. Can you also enter and track progress with that? If so, good luck.

I find Google Sheets nice and easy. Basically, first column is list of exercises. Each new weekly cycle I add a couple of columns at column 2 and 3 (one for weight, one for reps), and fill it in as I do the workout. Then I have the full history to look at if I scroll to the right along the sheet.

Or if you find this app and Sheets isn't for you, I know there are some free apps for iOS and Android for this stuff. I can't speak to how good they are. And some prominent YT'ers sell their apps and subs for similar, like Renaissance Periodization etc.
  • RichardRabil
    You can't really track progress with it, unfortunately. It's more of a record that you can associate with your daily food/diet diary, and also it's nice to get a loose estimate of how many calories you burned as a result of the exercises you log.

Thanks for sharing how you use Sheets! I use a different app for that sort of thing called Wodify, which tracks your workout history, PRs, etc. It's also nice for group fitness classes since it shows things like a leaderboard and lets you sign up for your workouts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    You can't really track progress with it, unfortunately. It's more of a record that you can associate with your daily food/diet diary, and also it's nice to get a loose estimate of how many calories you burned as a result of the exercises you log.

Thanks for sharing how you use Sheets! I use a different app for that sort of thing called Wodify, which tracks your workout history, PRs, etc. It's also nice for group fitness classes since it shows things like a leaderboard and lets you sign up for your workouts.

FWIW: I played with it when it was first introduced, and felt like it over-estimated calories for strength training at that time. (It may've improved since.) I just log strength training in the cardiovascular section of the MFP exercise log as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" which I felt at the time was a more realistic calorie estimate for regular reps/sets type weight lifting. YMMV.