Should I buy the freakin' air fryer?

glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,724 Member
edited July 17 in Food and Nutrition
Amazon Prime Days is upon us and I'm back on my air fryer *kitten*. :)
A while ago I went back and forth on the "should I buy an air fryer" thing because I get ideas in my head and then spend lots of time researching and then the opportunity passes or I just say "nah".
There's a pretty good deal on an air fryer on amazon. It doesn't have the bells and whistles I was looking into the last time I went air fryer shopping but it's cheap and, let's face it, I still don't cook :) I basically just make rice cooker steel cut oats, rice cooker steamed chicken, and hard boiled eggs (in a dedicated hard boiled egg maker) so I'd use the air fryer to maybe roast/dehydrate veggies, make my chicken and maybe make more fish that isn't canned tuna and salmon (which I love).

https://amazon.com/Tasti-CrispTM-Digital-AirCrisp%C2%AE-Technology-Temperature/dp/B08QQSB15M/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=1RGH6XL6L89NV&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.qY7jzgf62-vz-yhdsM4VqKLqcjoPkMc_5DnW5mDFbW3GjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.L_EOHW10mGDg_7GMuO4mFIuWZ7VKXCsyrCFRJbRKkYo&dib_tag=se&keywords=air%2Bfryer&psr=PDAY&qid=1721238968&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A17686891011&rnid=17686890011&s=prime-day&sprefix=air%2Bfryer%2Cprime-day%2C140&sr=1-17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dA&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&SPES=1&th=1

(Sorry for the long url!)

Should I buy the freakin' air fryer? 13 votes

Sure, why not?
84%
gunnsgirl91303Mise_enPlaceMsCzarAmunahSkiBrightEyedAgainBovinity55joandumas42fabgeekmomjacqocVanessaMedlockholisticharmonyhub7 11 votes
You LITERALLY only cook 3 things and don't want to do any fancy cooking
7%
stegeem 1 vote
You expect me to help make a decision this fast??
7%
nossmf 1 vote

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    Take some cooking classes.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    I don't know about that make or model, but the Ninja one I have is great. It's like having a small oven plus air fryer options, and it heats up to cooking temp in barely a minute, which is super helpful.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    You expect me to help make a decision this fast??
    I resisted getting an air fryer for years, citing the expense. Then I got one as a Christmas bonus from my company, and it sat unused for six months, citing lack of time to learn how to use it.

I finally got off my duff and found a few recipes to try, and so far they've all been smashing successes! Even if all you use it for is reheating pizza and chicken nuggets, it does a better, faster job than either the oven or the microwave.

Will I do ALL my cooking using the air fryer now? Certainly not. But it is a tool I wish I hadn't resisted all this time.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    We got an air fryer about a year ago, and it basically gets used on the daily.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    I basically don’t cook. Pretty much the only things I use at all to “cook” are my air fryer and microwave other than the occasional pot of grits. It’s fast, doesn’t heat up the house, and doesn’t make too much of a mess. I probably wouldn’t eat anything besides soup and enchiladas if I didn’t have the air fryer.
  • glassyo
    Ok, I'm easily influenced so I did it.
    Thanks!
    Or, possibly, what the hell were you people thinking??? :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Thanks!

A bonus of asking here is that now you have someone else to blame - good thinking! ;):D
  • glassyo
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Thanks!

A bonus of asking here is that now you have someone else to blame - good thinking! ;):D

I have my moments! :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Don't buy it (oh, I'm too late) but learn to cook instead. I find airfryer food to be rather bland in the sense that you can't just add spices and herbs at various moments and wait for them to infuse into cooking oil, etc.
  • neanderthin
    edited July 18
    If I was ever tempted to buy an "air fryer" which I'm not, it would be a convection toaster oven anyway. If I actually want fries, chicken wings, or fish and chips I'll stick with deep frying that I do a few times a year for those purposes. :)
  • COGypsy

Not cooking likely has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of knowledge. For me, I cooked 2-3 meals a day from the time I was in 5th grade and simply refuse to do it any more. I seriously doubt there’s anything I don’t have the objective skill to make. Not everyone finds cooking to be a pleasant chore. Personally, I’d rather scrub grout.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited July 18
    Sure, why not?
    You don't need to ever post an Amazon item beyond the inventory number. The rest is your search/session ID reference.

https://amazon.com/Tasti-CrispTM-Digital-AirCrisp®-Technology-Temperature/dp/B08QQSB15M

That said, the capacity is very small. Costco sells the highly rated Gourmia 7 quart for the same price.
  • glassyo
    yirara wrote: »
    Don't buy it (oh, I'm too late) but learn to cook instead. I find airfryer food to be rather bland in the sense that you can't just add spices and herbs at various moments and wait for them to infuse into cooking oil, etc.

I like bland! :) Which sucks because I'm trying to find a Mrs Dash seasoning that *doesn't* have any kind of kick to it and am failing miserably (blood work came back with a bit higher sodium count than the last time which makes sense, I guess, since I'm using more seasonings).
    If I was ever tempted to buy an "air fryer" which I'm not, it would be a convection toaster oven anyway. If I actually want fries, chicken wings, or fish and chips I'll stick with deep frying that I do a few times a year for those purposes. :)

I don't care about the "fryer" part. Weird, I know :) I was just initially looking for something that'll make what little I cook more convenient and maybe expand my protein and veggie horizons (I really wanted to attempt dehydrating veggies because it's so obvious my mindless eating ways aren't going to go away but now I'm on to mixed nuts.

Pressure cookers were brought up but, when I looked into them, there was no way a very messy ad dangerous explosion wasn't going to happen at some point.
  • neanderthin
    COGypsy wrote: »

Not cooking likely has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of knowledge. For me, I cooked 2-3 meals a day from the time I was in 5th grade and simply refuse to do it any more. I seriously doubt there’s anything I don’t have the objective skill to make. Not everyone finds cooking to be a pleasant chore. Personally, I’d rather scrub grout.

The OP was describing themselves as not being a particular good cook who just does the basics and believes that maybe an appliance might be a good option when learning to cook might open more opportunity in my opinion and why I said what I said.

As a chef who have also taught many people to improve their skill for cooking I'm scratching my head trying to figure out someone that has developed a craft and improved their skill level to the point they could tackle any task and who then determined they would never cook again because of how much they hated it. I believe there's more going on here, but regardless, I do wish you the best. :)

• glassyo
    MsCzar wrote: »
    You don't need to ever post an Amazon item beyond the inventory number. The rest is your search/session ID reference.

https://amazon.com/Tasti-CrispTM-Digital-AirCrisp®-Technology-Temperature/dp/B08QQSB15M

That said, the capacity is very small. Costco sells the highly rated Gourmia 7 quart for the same price.

Thanks!

And I looked into capacity sizes the last go round but I'm only one person and won't be feeding anyone else so suggested sizes were like 2 to 3 qts. So I split the difference. :)

I also have to think about space which there isn't much of anymore.
  • Bovinity55
    Bovinity55 Posts: 258 Member
    Sure, why not?
    I have the Instant Pot Vortex Plus, which is a large capacity unit. I use it practically every day. It is great for cooking skinless boneless chicken, veggies like zucchini slices, squash, frozen foods, etc. without added oils.
  • COGypsy

The OP was describing themselves as not being a particular good cook who just does the basics and believes that maybe an appliance might be a good option when learning to cook might open more opportunity in my opinion and why I said what I said.

As a chef who have also taught many people to improve their skill for cooking I'm scratching my head trying to figure out someone that has developed a craft and improved their skill level to the point they could tackle any task and who then determined they would never cook again because of how much they hated it. I believe there's more going on here, but regardless, I do wish you the best. :)

'
    It's easy. Do something a minimum of twice a day for 35 years or so and you get pretty good at it. Plus, I like "special" cooking. Dinner party? Game day? Holidays? Sign me up! I have resented "plain" cooking pretty much since I was informed my parents wouldn't be cooking any more on weekdays and that would be my responsibility now. You know the cooking I'm talking about, the *kitten* you have to deal with because it's 8 o'clock and you're cold and getting the shakes, so you have to make something. It's literally not worth the time or mental energy it takes to shop and cook and clean when you only have one person to feed, so I don't. That doesn't mean the skills go anywhere.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Im a very good home-cook and I still think its a very useful appliance.
  • glassyo
    edited July 19

'
    It's easy. Do something a minimum of twice a day for 35 years or so and you get pretty good at it. Plus, I like "special" cooking. Dinner party? Game day? Holidays? Sign me up! I have resented "plain" cooking pretty much since I was informed my parents wouldn't be cooking any more on weekdays and that would be my responsibility now. You know the cooking I'm talking about, the *kitten* you have to deal with because it's 8 o'clock and you're cold and getting the shakes, so you have to make something. It's literally not worth the time or mental energy it takes to shop and cook and clean when you only have one person to feed, so I don't. That doesn't mean the skills go anywhere.

I don't remember anyone other than my mother doing the cooking growing up and learning that skill was never part of my childhood. Not even in home ec at school. I did learn to sew but, just like algebra, I never really needed to use what I learned :)

For me, I'm one person and have been most of my adult life. I was fine living off take out, fast food, frozen dinners, and fun sized candy bars. The only thing I cooked was top ramen or some kind of noodles with butter and parmesean cheese.
    Even when I went on Weight Watchers, it was mostly fast food and frozen dinners with added "better for me" foods. I nixed the candy bars and top ramen/noodles :)
    Every once in a while something sounds good (usually a lower calorie knockoff of something sweet) and I'd make it. But I never found joy in cooking and the one time I made something for a boy friend (even then it was chicken helper) he started fancying it up and yeah, well, *kitten* you. Do it to your own plate. Not the whole dish.

Im a very good home-cook and I still think its a very useful appliance.

Yay for positivity! :)
    Bovinity55 wrote: »
    I have the Instant Pot Vortex Plus, which is a large capacity unit. I use it practically every day. It is great for cooking skinless boneless chicken, veggies like zucchini slices, squash, frozen foods, etc. without added oils.

Thanks! I probably looked at this way back when and it actually has all the pre-sets I wanted but it's huge! :)

• glassyo
    edited July 19

Quotes got funky so....

Wow, the OP didn't say any of that. The OP said she still doesn't cook and doesn't want to do any fancy cooking. The OP doesn't and never truly did have a desire to learn to cook like an adult. She's just doing more of it out of necessity and future money problem reasons.

She's also happy she has a month to send it back if it's not all it's cracked up to be :)

(Ok, quotes are definitely acting weird and it's not anything I'm doing. Whew!)