2»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Take some cooking classes.

Not cooking likely has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of knowledge. For me, I cooked 2-3 meals a day from the time I was in 5th grade and simply refuse to do it any more. I seriously doubt there’s anything I don’t have the objective skill to make. Not everyone finds cooking to be a pleasant chore. Personally, I’d rather scrub grout.

The OP was describing themselves as not being a particular good cook who just does the basics and believes that maybe an appliance might be a good option when learning to cook might open more opportunity in my opinion and why I said what I said.

As a chef who have also taught many people to improve their skill for cooking I'm scratching my head trying to figure out someone that has developed a craft and improved their skill level to the point they could tackle any task and who then determined they would never cook again because of how much they hated it. I believe there's more going on here, but regardless, I do wish you the best. :)

'
    It's easy. Do something a minimum of twice a day for 35 years or so and you get pretty good at it. Plus, I like "special" cooking. Dinner party? Game day? Holidays? Sign me up! I have resented "plain" cooking pretty much since I was informed my parents wouldn't be cooking any more on weekdays and that would be my responsibility now. You know the cooking I'm talking about, the *kitten* you have to deal with because it's 8 o'clock and you're cold and getting the shakes, so you have to make something. It's literally not worth the time or mental energy it takes to shop and cook and clean when you only have one person to feed, so I don't. That doesn't mean the skills go anywhere.

I don't remember anyone other than my mother doing the cooking growing up and learning that skill was never part of my childhood. Not even in home ec at school. I did learn to sew but, just like algebra, I never really needed to use what I learned :)

snip

When I was in fifth grade, my mom went back to work outside the home so my sister and I had to take over most of the cooking and cleaning. We were the very epitome of the Gen X latch key generation, lol.

Funny you mention sewing, that's another thing I know passably well but would rather not do. I learned the basics from my grandmother, but really got more into it in college. I have Bipolar 2 and sewing was something very quiet I could do in my dorm room at night since I didn't sleep much. Now that the sleep stuff is resolved, I save my sewing prowess for the occasional button or hem :)

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    Sure, why not?
    glassyo wrote: »

And I looked into capacity sizes the last go round but I'm only one person and won't be feeding anyone else so suggested sizes were like 2 to 3 qts. So I split the difference. :)

I also have to think about space which there isn't much of anymore.

I mostly cook for myself and am very happy I got the 7 quart. I can make several tacos or a whole quesadilla. I also think the larger area makes for better air circulation.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,724 Member
    edited July 21
    So it came yesterday and I just ran my first test.

It went a little too hard on the frozen broccoli florets but the added Brussels sprouts I added to weight down the parchment paper a bit more weren't half bad.

And, damn, this thing is quiet. I didn't even realize it was on when I first started it.

But it's a good size and I would have to do some major rearranging to find a place for it to fit without fighting for counter space with the rice cooker. I still might. I already bought a heat resistant mat for it.

Next test will be frozen chicken!
  • glassyo
    I know y'all are on pins and needles about the chicken so.... :p

It turned out really well! It took half the time of the rice cooker and was obviously more solid(?) on top? And I could definitely taste the seasoning (trader joe's onion salt) so a little less the next time and it stayed on (it tends to...shift...while cutting the chicken when I use the rice cooker).

I more or less like the air fryer but I'm not in love with it. When I was looking into them before, I saw a Gourmia that had more presets and a window so you can check on the food and not have to take the basket out but I don't think they come in anything smaller than the 6 qt capacity and now I know that is definitely way too big. I could have really used that window with those broccoli florets!

And I wish it did steel cut oats.

So I have a little less than a month to decide.

And I'm still a little salty it's still only $40 on amazon!
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 76 Member
    Mrs Dash has an everything but the salt seasoning (sesame seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, and poppy seed).
  • glassyo
    p8m6bwghh9 wrote: »
    Mrs Dash has an everything but the salt seasoning (sesame seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, and poppy seed).

I actually bought that at the same time as the air fryer but haven't tried it yet! I had it sitting in my cart waiting until I needed other things.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    I bought a new handblender because my old one (20+ years) spread food around the kitchen instead of blending a soup. It's not something I use every day, but for once in a while I'd like a soup and not an opportunity to repain a kitchenwall 🤣 So far so happy. It came with a cup for small amounts of ingredients and a bigger thingy with own knives. I found out that blending a carrot and a handful of cashews to a coarse mash is super tasty. Just wanted to test it, and found a lovely fresh snack 😅