Not counting, watching (sort of Intuitive Eating, but old-style, with gentle nutrition)

I've cycled around the same 10 lbs or so for over 40 years after dropping 25ish pounds. The last 10 years or so I've kept my weight lower and tighter, healthier eating, especially as I've started playing tennis again and my calorie burn skyrocketed depending on the weather.

On trips (traveling/camping, 2-3 weeks 2-3x a year), I would forgo logging entirely (and not gain), and very rarely, I just grew tired of logging, but would go back to keeping the data. Knowledge is power. Within the last year, though, I've realized that the same issues occur repeatedly when my weight creeps up, either excessive intake of a few foods or too little protein, or simply snacking because I didn't feel physically well and food makes one feel better when hungry, so why not just tired? Ha. Poor logic hard at work.

After recent trip in June, I decided that I wouldn't go back to logging for the time being, and instead concentrate on being mindful about those foods I could stand to eat more moderate amounts of, getting enough protein, and thinking before eating. I mean, I've mostly done this while logging, too, but the point is that I have ingrained how many/much chips or butter or ice cream or wine are sensible quantities, I don't need to log to know that. Same with protein. And if I find I want a snack, I need to pause to consider if that's hunger or fatigue talking.

I don't need to log calories to take any of these measures. So I'm in an experiment to see if concentrating on the key points will be sufficient to keep my weight where I want it to be. For a silver-hair, I train pretty hard in summer, so the real test will be about January. I'm not dead set on never logging again, but if I can do this without logging, it's one less thing cluttering up my already overloaded brain.

Not expecting to see results good or bad from this experiment for weeks yet, as I'm so stable. Wish me luck.

I have over 1800 daily entries on my spreadsheet.

Replies

• AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,988 Member
    I log in my planned lunches/dinners for the week a few hundred calories below what I need to and tend not to have to worry about calories during the day as long as I try to somewhat stick to my meal plans.
  • momlongerwalk
    momlongerwalk Posts: 28 Member
    I log in my planned lunches/dinners for the week a few hundred calories below what I need to and tend not to have to worry about calories during the day as long as I try to somewhat stick to my meal plans.

I'm all about finding YOUR comfortable spot--what gets you to your goal with the right amount of fuss. You found yours--such a HUGE win!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Interesting approach: Keep us posted on how it goes for you, if you feel up to it? It could be instructive.

I'm in year 8 of maintenance, now logging most of the time but not every single day any more. I don't find it burdensome usually, but feel pretty comfortable that it's the majority of my days - the routine days - that determine the majority of my results. If my weight creeps up, it's pretty easy to creep it down again.
  • momlongerwalk
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Interesting approach: Keep us posted on how it goes for you, if you feel up to it? It could be instructive.

I'm in year 8 of maintenance, now logging most of the time but not every single day any more. I don't find it burdensome usually, but feel pretty comfortable that it's the majority of my days - the routine days - that determine the majority of my results. If my weight creeps up, it's pretty easy to creep it down again.

My plan is to do just that, report back on my experiment. This approach feels very different from logging (even the gaps in logging), which I've done diligently the vast majority of the last 15-20 years (in various ways). In some respects, like I have to grow up? Take responsibility right now for what I'm eating & why? Not beating myself up so much as relaxing into what I know.

As noted in my reply to AdahPotatah2024, I'm all about finding the right path for oneself . . . it seemed logging wasn't doing the trick anymore, I was making the same decisions/mistakes over & over, so it is time to try something a bit different.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    I've had some success with a similar approach. I focus on my hunger signals and manage my appetite with a hunger scale. I work to keep my meals and snacks balanced so that I keep my protein up and makes sure I get fruits and veggies in the rotation as well. I've lost about 7 pounds doing this. It's a slow process, for sure. Now I'm considering going briefly back to calorie counting to drop some weight quickly before an upcoming surgery, but just not sure.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 354 Member
    I’m rooting for you. Personally I can’t keep a running total in my head yet of where I am if I don’t log. As someone else said, it really helps me to prelog if I have an event coming up that.
  • momlongerwalk
    edited August 2
    Some data:

My weight:
    5/25/24 124.8, 7 day running average was 124.9
    6/25/24 124.6, 7 day running average was 125.1
    7/25/24 126.6, 7 day running average was 125.7
    8/2/24 125.2, 7 day running average 125.6

5/25/24 7 day average body muscle 36.4, body fat 21.2 (for comparison purposes only; it's a scale and those are nnot accurate for absolute purposes, but useful for comparisions)
    8/2/24 7 day average body muscle 36.6, body fat 21.4

On the whole, no particularly noticeable changes in body composition.

I have been burning off 400-500 calories a day on average, running, tennis, yardwork, strength training, exercise bike (joint saving). I'm not doing particularly well at managing my splurges/weaknesses, but I know exactly what they are, and the issues, as I suspected, do not differ with loggin or not logging. This is important because I will not be keeping up this level of activity throughout any given year.

More to follow in a month or so.
  • momlongerwalk
    Update: I've had to go back to logging for reasons unrelated to my weight, go figure. I have to prune back on fat because a medication I'm on causes me some distress and reducing my fat intake to a bit less than 30% of my caloric intake is helpful. So this experiment is kind of ended because if I'm going to log, I'm going to do it right (in case I look back for reference). I was feeling pretty good about it, though I still found the same problems cropped up again & again. Right now, it's about some serious daily distress and that trumps most everything else. Regards to all!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,074 Member
    I think that what many of us have found is that the whole "intuitive" eating thing can work for a while but things are always changing and a lot of times we have to go back to logging for a while. Maintenance changes over time just like us so thinking there will be one approach forever does not work.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    I think that what many of us have found is that the whole "intuitive" eating thing can work for a while but things are always changing and a lot of times we have to go back to logging for a while. Maintenance changes over time just like us so thinking there will be one approach forever does not work.

Exactly this. There's no shame in realizing that you need a readjustment due to whatever changes going on, and returning to calorie counting to help with that. I used intermittent fasting for over a year with no need to count calories. Until something changed. Then I went back to calorie counting. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing, if I stop for a bit it's all over kind of thing. This is life. Things change, we change.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,988 Member
    I read where Betty White, because she had seen her mother's struggle with weight gain, weighed herself just about every morning and if she started going over she cut out some of her usual indulgences which I'm guessing were the vodka drinks before dinner, hotdogs, or taco bell. 😋✔️