Member Search Not Working

I always search members posting or user history upon receiving a friend request.

The last four or five I’ve searched show up as “no member found”.

Was the member search canned when newsfeed was?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    No, not if you're talking about the search of posts in the Community by UserID. I've been able to do that since well after the newsfeed went away. I know I've done it multiple times in the web browser version of the Community, in fact just did it right now with your ID successfully. I can't recall if I've done it in the Android app version of the Community since the newsfeed went away, and definitely haven't in Apple.

In the past, I've found this (Community search by UserID) to be a thing that mysteriously and periodically just doesn't work for a while, then does. Note that this search is 100% the Vanilla forums application that's used for the Community, not MFP proper at all.

You probably know this, but a person who signs up for MFP but never reads/posts in the Community will be not found by UserID in the Community. AFAIK that's always been true. (It's one of the things that makes me suspicious someone is a likely creeper, if they FR me but have no Community history - not the only thing I look at, though.)

I don't know about member search within MFP proper (i.e., not Community). I never do that, if it even exists.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    I hadn’t even thought of that. I’ve had a whole bunch of male requests in a row, a couple of whom are the fake military profiles. None of them were showing up.

So, if they visit community, should they show up even if they don’t post? Presumably they’re opening threads to harvest profiles for friend requests?

• AnnPT77
    edited July 26
    I hadn’t even thought of that. I’ve had a whole bunch of male requests in a row, a couple of whom are the fake military profiles. None of them were showing up.

So, if they visit community, should they show up even if they don’t post? Presumably they’re opening threads to harvest profiles for friend requests?

In the web version of Community, when I start to type in a user name in the search filter, I get a list of names that start with those characters. I have to pick the right one from the list (even if it's only a list of one) in order to get it to fill the search box with that ID. Sometimes there is no result in that drop-down that matches the ID I'm looking for. Sometimes if there is an ID on the drop down list then I pick it and do the search, there are no results.

This is my inference (no proof): If they've logged into the Community (which is a separate login behind the scenes because Community is a whole separate app from MFP), then their ID will show up on the drop-down list and can be picked. If the ID's not in the drop down, I speculate that they've never been in the Community via the MFP-to-Community route.

If they have posts in the Community, those posts will appear in the search, with (I believe) one exception. I think that if they have posts hidden by moderator actions, there can be a post count that's higher than the number of posts that are listed in the pick list of posts, including the possibility that the count will be a positive number, but no posts show up on the search result. That would be someone whose total set of posts has been moderated into the back room, not visible.

I speculate that a zero post count is someone who's logged into the Community via the link in MFP, but has only read posts, never posted.

If I'm right, the bolded above, that's the thing that's suspicious to me. They're getting the IDs to which they send FRs from somewhere. If it isn't by signing in to the Community via MFP, and we don't have any MFP friends in common (as is sometimes the case), then I think they're likely a creeper (not for sure, just likely).

I've noticed that Community posts are searchable with web search sites (like Google). I wonder if that's where they're getting the IDs. I don't know.

I suspect parts of a process like that could be scripted (what people might call "done by a bot" or these days "done by AI", though those things might not be the right technical terms in truth).

ETA: None of the above is actual knowledge on my part. It's speculation based on what I've seen on searches, plus a little bit of history as a person who's often needed to test software to try to figure out exactly how it works or what it does (as part of my career).
  • springlering62
    Thanks for the suggestions, Ann.

I declined a friend request yesterday for a fella who didn’t come up in search.

Weirdly, when I did, it took me into the page which would normally be visible only to friends, which showed he had 247 friends, and his diary was closed. Then, after I stared at it for a few seconds in surprise, hoping to maybe see a “join” date, it popped me out and showed I’d declined his request.

Cant see the point in friends anyway, anymore. Think I’m just going to start automatically declining them all. Since newsfeed shut down, they’ve clearly been scammers anyway. I’m sure there’s not a posse of hot military guys, hot guys with views, and hot guys with gorgeous dogs wild to get to know me.

Saw a post a couple of days ago from a woman who met her husband via MFP. How she weeded out the dreck is beyond me. I know youth is making connections online, but even though I consider myself fairly savvy, nooooo way, were I ever to find myself in the market. Seems so fraught with risk.

Wish there was a way to weed them out. I just feel like people here might be a little more vulnerable than average, what with weight and self esteem. Or I could be channeling my own feelings. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    @springlering62, I agree about the probability that there are especially vulnerable people among the wider group here, and think that if bad people read Community posts (either via MFP or web search), they can zero in on those. I suspect most of the scammers aren't that subtle, though . . . at least in their initial approach, which is likely more shotgun: FR a bunch of people, see who accepts (probably a higher proportion of less skeptical/critical people, more trusting people) accept. Start the "How are you doing today, are you have a good day" innocuous kind of chat via DM, see who responds, which probably narrows down the targets somewhat . . . and so forth.

It's morally reprehensible.

People here may boggle at my saying this, but I think MFP does a better than average job (compared with other social media) in monitoring suspicious actors, and weeding out those who are demonstrably baddies. It doesn't take much to be better than average, sadly. Facebook, for example, won't even minimally censor blatantly obvious catfishers, clones of real people, sellers of questionable financial investments or digital currencies, etc. It's awful there, and I think FB is more typical.

Personally, I'll keep accepting FRs from people who do have a Community history, especially if I've interacted with them on a thread(s) here. I'm not suggesting you should do likewise. If anyone acts even vaguely creepy (no matter how OK the FR looked), I'm reporting them.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    Sorry to the legit guys on the platform, but I assume that 100% of the male friend requests are spammers, s*x chat, or bots. They all get deleted. Likely the ones you are looking for are getting deleted by MFP due to being reported.

But also as noted above - community search will only bring them up if they have posted on the forum. Any member can read the forums but if they never post then they won't show up in a search.
  • springlering62
    Saw another article yesterday about the pig butchering scams expanding so big, their dorm/“office” buildings are visible on satellite now, clearly visible from the Thai border (they are on the Malaysian side).
    They are now putting out job offers to people with language skill and computer experience, kidnapping them when they arrive for job interviews, and enslaving them to do these scams.

One fellow they interviewed was Kenyan (I think), spoke several languages and had a computer degree. He said if he refused they beat him, hung him by his hands, and tortured him. He felt it was morally reprehensible but said what else could he do but look for a way to escape.

He said his worst moment was a man in India who he had convinced (using scripts) that he was a wealthy Singaporean jet setter in love with him. When he shut it down, the man sent him a video of himself throwing acid in his face in despair.

These aren’t the Yahoo Boys at the Internet cafe anymore, they are extensive criminal enterprises on par with drug cartels, specializing in human trafficking and human despair.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @springlering62 you and I must be on the same list! I've gotten about 30 invitations over the last couple of weeks,, mostly from the same user, but a couple with a similar id. Don't come up in search. I haven't posted in Community in forever, so no idea where they found me. I wasted a few seconds emailing help to see if it was a glitch or just some bot farm on speed, but I'm not expecting a response. 🤷
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @springlering62 you and I must be on the same list! I've gotten about 30 invitations over the last couple of weeks,, mostly from the same user, but a couple with a similar id. Don't come up in search. I haven't posted in Community in forever, so no idea where they found me. I wasted a few seconds emailing help to see if it was a glitch or just some bot farm on speed, but I'm not expecting a response. 🤷

It's just a scammer; please continue to report them as you did before.