What is a good way to overcome a weight loss plateau?

I've lost a little over 50 lbs in the past year, and have hit a plateau and cannot seem to overcome it. I have maintained this weight for about 3 months now, and I have tried increasing protein, further reducing carbs and calories, changed exercise methods, etc. and still can't seem to jumpstart the weight loss. I still have about 30 lbs to lose! Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 88 Member
    Answer ✓
    As you lose weight your calorie needs unfortunately decrease. You may need to reevaluate your daily calorie needs to keep losing weight, even if it’s just lowering calories by 100 a day
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Answer ✓

50 lbs lost means lowered calorie needs, probably more than you’ve already lowered. For some, it can be 100 calories per 10 lbs lost. 50 lbs lost is a LOT so great work!

To illustrate how much more energy it takes to carry around 50 lbs, grab a pair of 25 lb kettlebells and walk around for awhile. The more active you are the more that that will be apparent.

3 months of a stall means you’ve had a 3 month diet break.

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Please give us a bit more information. Can you provide your current stats? Are you using a food scale for everything? Are you eating out a lot or are you cooking from scratch, or anything inbetween? Did the fit of your clothes change? No loss at all or small ones? With only 30lbs to lose you'd be looking at losing about 1/2 lbs per week, thus things will go a lot slower.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    If you've been at a deficit for a year, I would encourage you to increase your calories for a while, rather than lower them: after a year, I think you're due a diet break. Being at a deficit is stressful for the body, you can teach your body to limp along on fewer calories over time, and the stress of it can also cause some water retention.

You might want to read this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest