Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mounjaro vs Saxenda, which is the best?

debsfran
debsfran Posts: 100 Member
I just seen a lot about about Mounjaro on tiktok and have read up on it and it sounds like its better.

Anyone have experience of both?

Anyone taking Mounjaro,
how is it?
Would you recommend it?
Where do you buy yours?

Answers

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,485 Member
    What have you been doing to control weight/blood markers without medication? It is a prescription medicine so you get it from a doctor.

I bet Tic Tok didn't tell you about this.

Warnings - Mounjaro may cause tumors in the thyroid, including thyroid cancer. Watch for possible symptoms, such as a lump or swelling in the neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. If you have any of these symptoms, tell your healthcare provider.
    Do not use Mounjaro if you or any of your family have ever had a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC).
    Do not use Mounjaro if you have Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
    Do not use Mounjaro if you are allergic to it or any of the ingredients in Mounjaro.
    Mounjaro may cause serious side effects, including:

Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis). Stop using Mounjaro and call your healthcare provider right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that will not go away, with or without vomiting. You may feel the pain from your abdomen to your back.

Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Your risk for getting low blood sugar may be higher if you use Mounjaro with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as a sulfonylurea or insulin. Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar may include dizziness or light-headedness, sweating, confusion or drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, slurred speech, shakiness, fast heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, or mood changes, hunger, weakness and feeling jittery.

Serious allergic reactions. Stop using Mounjaro and get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat, problems breathing or swallowing, severe rash or itching, fainting or feeling dizzy, and very rapid heartbeat.

Kidney problems (kidney failure). In people who have kidney problems, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting may cause a loss of fluids (dehydration), which may cause kidney problems to get worse. It is important for you to drink fluids to help reduce your chance of dehydration.

Severe stomach problems. Stomach problems, sometimes severe, have been reported in people who use Mounjaro. Tell your healthcare provider if you have stomach problems that are severe or will not go away.

Changes in vision. Tell your healthcare provider if you have changes in vision during treatment with Mounjaro.

Gallbladder problems. Gallbladder problems have happened in some people who use Mounjaro. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you get symptoms of gallbladder problems, which may include pain in your upper stomach (abdomen), fever, yellowing of skin or eyes (jaundice), and clay-colored stools.

Common side effects
    The most common side effects of Mounjaro include nausea, diarrhea, decreased appetite, vomiting, constipation, indigestion, and stomach (abdominal) pain. These are not all the possible side effects of Mounjaro. Talk to your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or doesn’t go away.

Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effects. You can report side effects at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.

Before using Mounjaro
    Your healthcare provider should show you how to use Mounjaro before you use it for the first time.
    Talk to your healthcare provider about low blood sugar and how to manage it.
    If you take birth control pills by mouth, talk to your healthcare provider before you use Mounjaro. Birth control pills may not work as well while using Mounjaro. Your healthcare provider may recommend another type of birth control for 4 weeks after you start Mounjaro and for 4 weeks after each increase in your dose of Mounjaro.
    Review these questions with your healthcare provider:
    Do you have other medical conditions, including problems with your pancreas or kidneys, or severe problems with your stomach, such as slowed emptying of your stomach (gastroparesis) or problems digesting food?
    Do you take other diabetes medicines, such as insulin or sulfonylureas?
    Do you have a history of diabetic retinopathy?
    Are you pregnant, plan to become pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed? It is not known if Mounjaro will harm your unborn baby or pass into your breast milk.
    Do you take any other prescription medicines or over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, or herbal supplements?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member

TikTok can seriously mislead.

In most countries, these are prescription drugs. You would need a prescription from a doctor.

A doctor will look at your health history and current situation. You may fit the criteria for one of these drugs, maybe both, and your doctor would then pick one to prescribe for you. Or you may fit none of the criteria, and not be able to get a prescription at all.

If you do get a prescription and take the drug, you may experience anything from the very worst of the side effect symptoms (like those posted above) or hardly any side effect symptoms at all. There's no way to know in advance, though the extremes good/bad end of that scale are statistically more unusual. It varies by individual.

The drug may help you (with the goals you haven't told us about), or may not, because that varies individually, too. It seems like quite a few people find that these drugs reduce "food noise" in people's heads (constant thinking about food), appetite, or cravings. But that's not true for everyone.

If someone has take both, that's probably quite a rare case. And the way that rare person responded to each is statistically unlikely to be the same for you.

See your doctor.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    Don't know about Saxenda but I was losing no weight on Wegovy so the Endocrinologist switched me to Mounjaro. Both did what needed to be done in terms of lowering my A1C back to normal but neither caused much weight loss. I'm losing weight now but because I'm keeping track of calories via the food diary. No side effects from either.
  • DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 32 Member
    I've heard great things about Mounjaro too! I haven't tried it, but curious about others' experiences.
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 100 Member
    @theoldguy1 @Annpt77
    Thank you both for taking the time out to reply to my post.

In answer to your questions/comments.
    Yes i am aware that Tiktok (along with other forms of social media) can be misleading. So yes i did do my research & know the information you shared.

Yes i am aware that it needs to be prescribed hence planning to get mine from asda pharmacy, which you have to go through a consultation prior to being precribed.

Was not asking if people take both. Post says "VS" which should imply that I'm looking for a comparison. Many people have tried various appetite supressesnts and switch, therefore the question was for those who have switched from one to another.

My query was asking about people's personal experiences (yes everyone is different) and not about the drug itself.

Once again, thank you for your time :)
  • PravaSagitta
    PravaSagitta Posts: 9 Member
    If you don't need it for medical reasons other than you need to lower your weight, please don't add to the shortage.

With these appetite suppression side effects, they only last as long as you take the medicine. If you don't learn how to eat/exercise/etc, then all you're doing is making your body miserable, and will likely binge when you're off of it. Some people need this medicine to keep their body running properly, and my loved one has had to do without because of this fad.
  • smiggle39
    smiggle39 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm sure you're capable of doing your own research re the risks.

I'll simply answer the question you asked without a lecture.

I tried Saxenda a couple of years ago. I hated it. I felt awful, with a very low mood and nauseous all the time. Daily injections left me with bruises. I gave up after a couple of months as wasn't losing weight either.

I've currently been taking Mounjaro for 3 weeks and it's a game changer. I have no urge to snack or overeat. My mood is completely fine. I'm tracking my calories and nutrition to ensure my diet is well balanced. I've lost 8lbs so far which is great. I don't want the huge drastic results all over tiktok, a steady couple of pounds a week and I'll be over the moon.
  • MounjaroMia
    MounjaroMia Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 6
    I’m loving mounjaro.
    It’s giving me the space to change my eating habits.
    I’ve lost a stone in two months ( 5lbs the first month) which I’m very happy with , three weeks of that I was on holiday . I eat whole food and lean protein. I use the app and am hoping to increase my protein with the help of the app. I don’t use whey protein( sludge)