Trying to go from 195 to 135... Tips?

Not great at keeping motivated but I'm at my highest weight ever rn and really want to lose 60lbs. Any advice on staying motivated?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Agree with @csplatt: be patient and consistent. You didn't put on 60 lbs overnight, so it won't go away that quickly, either.

Input your info here. What's your calorie goal? Read the helpful threads as to how to accurately weigh and measure and log your food. It's a learning process, so just do it and don't get discouraged if you mess up.

Don't worry about motivation. You don't need that. You need a plan and a way to execute that plan MOST of the time. Don't even shoot for perfection. Start working on changing small things. Small habits really add up and have huge benefits!
  • SueBarry1
    SueBarry1 Posts: 35 Member
    We are very similar-I am in the process of going from 200 to 140. So far at 192, cant wait to see the 180s. I am 72 years old and recently found out that I have several health problems that I was unaware of. No time like the present to finally get this done and stay there-I hate having 5 different size clothes in my closet
  • Viridian1539
    Viridian1539 Posts: 155 Member
    Like @SueBarry1 I'm also in the process of going down from 200 to ~140. This is my third try because I keep bouncing back into the low 190s and losing my confidence I can actually do it.

This time feels different because I'm not focusing on the weight - I'm focusing on my mental health and physical strength, and how what I eat plays into those. Sure, the weight loss is an awesome side effect, but at least for me, I've found if the weight loss is the only reason you're doing it, chances are you're not going to be able to keep it off.

Also, comparison pictures are really really helpful! I've seen 2 lbs make my face go from chubby to not, and had days where it felt like I had no progress, only to look at an old photo and see that while the numbers are the same, more of it is muscle now!
  • SueBarry1
    SueBarry1 Posts: 35 Member
    Interesting that you mentioned photos-I came across one yesterday-the last time I was at 140 was 4 years ago-looked damn good-I have noticed changes in my 9 pound loss already. For some reason I notice in my stomach this time-which is usually the last place and my chin is back to normal. Heres to better health for both of us!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Here's a good instructional and motivational video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbVKI9kAFTg
    In the tradition of a bodybuilder bulk & cut, this method is called Grind and Chill.
    You do some disciplined weight loss for a while, then switch to maintenance for a while. You alternate until you reach your goal. The advantage of this is it helps you to avoid catastrophic diet fatigue.