Calorie intake for weight loss

I have 2 questions.

Question 1: Should I be consuming a set amount of calories regardless of my weight, intensity and frequency of working out?

Question 2: If so, how many calories should I be consuming per day?
Thanks for your answers!
Tagged:

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 3
    Go to your goals or profile page. Enter your height weight activity level and goal weight, and select a rate of loss (1/2 lb a week to 2 pounds- slower weight loss has a MUCH higher potential of sticking versus jackrabbit losses).

MFP will then suggest a calorie goal for you.

Try to stay within calorie goal for 4-6 weeks. If your weight stays the same, congrats you’ve found your maintenance calories.

If you’re losing at a satisfactory rate, then that’s gold.

If you’re putting on weight, chances are very good you’re logging casually or sloppily, or overestimated your activity level and will need to cut back. Post here if that happens and we’ll give you guidance.

I suggest reading current and old threads on the hoards to familiarize yourself with using the app, weeding out diet myths, etc.

You’re only going to get out of the app what you’re willing to put into it, however, if you invest time and effort, the payoff is probably far more than you ever expected.
  • standout00
    standout00 Posts: 137 Member
    Would a past weight do for that purpose as well?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    edited August 3
    You mentioned frequency of working out. If you time your meals and snacks such that you're adequately fueled pre-workout, you may not need more calories that day than other days. But it depends on the workout. An hour of lifting isn't much calories, maybe 150-300 depending on your weight and intensity. Go hiking with a pack for hours, that could be thousands of calories and you'll be ravenous. What you don't want to do is over-estimate your additional calorie burn from exercise (i.e. the additional calories vs being sedentary in that time) and eat all of that back. Higher intensity exercise may leave you hungrier than the same calories burned in a longer duration lower intensity exercise like walking.
  • standout00
    standout00 Posts: 137 Member
    Thanks. That's a good enlightenment for me! My normal exercise is walking at various speeds.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 3
    standout00 wrote: »

I started as a 56 year old obese female, so obvs not same as you. . By the time I’d met every goal I thought I’d ever make, I didn’t know what to set as a final goal.

I came up with the brilliant idea setting a new goal of “wedding day” weight of 125.

I got within two pounds of it and looked like death warmed over.

I have since then put on intentional weight. At 62, I weighed in today at 147. The difference is mostly muscle weight. Yet, twenty pounds heavier, I still wear the same size I did when I got down to 127.

I can tell you from personal experience, weight sits totally different on your body at various phases of your life, whether due to age or activity/inactivity or both.

Set a reasonable goal, evaluate when you get there, set a new goal if necessary, and be prepared to stop when you’re satisfied.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    standout00 wrote: »

I started as a 56 year old obese female, so obvs not same as you. . By the time I’d met every goal I thought I’d ever make, I didn’t know what to set as a final goal.

I came up with the brilliant idea setting a new goal of “wedding day” weight of 125.

I got within two pounds of it and looked like death warmed over.

I have since then put on intentional weight. At 62, I weighed in today at 147. The difference is mostly muscle weight. Yet, twenty pounds heavier, I still wear the same size I did when I got down to 127.

I can tell you from personal experience, weight sits totally different on your body at various phases of your life, whether due to age or activity/inactivity or both.

Set a reasonable goal, evaluate when you get there, set a new goal if necessary, and be prepared to stop when you’re satisfied.

And just to add for clarity: your goal weight has zero impact on your calorie goal, so no need to worry about that too much now 🙂