Discouraged but digging in

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and a little new to MFP. I just changed to MFP after using the WW app for a year with very little success. I'm in New Orleans, 56, mother of 2, working FT now after working just PT for 20 years, so doing some shuffling!

I lost 24lbs on WW last year after working the plan really hard. I lost that from July to about November and have lost NOTHING since. It is discouraging!! I am not diabetic, and I just had my annual physical and labs last week. All were perfect! There seems to be no medical reason for me not to lose the weight, and I have plenty to lose - 50+lbs. I walk 2 miles every morning and now I'm thinking that adding some muscle may be the answer for me. Any good videos you've found on YouTube for strength training would be appreciated! Many thanks...
Sharon B.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

Adding muscle is a good thing for many reasons. I don't use videos for it, learned about lifting in a live class that taught regular reps/sets style workouts (kind of like group trainer sessions with individual attention, not one of those classes where everyone does the same lifts to music or similar).

There's a thread here where many MFP-ers have shared their favorite strength training programs, including both bodyweight and lifting despite the title:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Maybe you can find useful sources in there. Some of the links are videos.

I'm F, 68, used MFP to lose around 50 pounds back in 2015-16 when I was 59 (after about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity). I'm now hanging around MFP to continue maintaining that healthy weight. (So far, so good. :) )

I've never done WW, but some people here talk about the "free foods" potentially becoming an issue. I know I could over-eat foods on those lists to the point of exceeding calorie goals!

That may not be what's happening for you, but if you're anything like me, calorie counting as meticulously as practical can yield insights about what to do to keep weight loss going at a sensibly moderate pace.

Wishing you success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 6
    I started at 56, too, and am living proof that you can get there. If I can lose weight, any idiot can.

Do you have a fitness tracker? Syncing one to MFP was my lightbulb moment, when I realized how hard it was to “earn calories”, versus what I was shoveling in my sweet-tooth filled mouth.

Once my brain made that connection, I was able to sit down and figure things out for the better.

Assuming you’re from NOLA, we are similar age and probably have similar food habits and similar education. Yup, I, too, learned the food groups and “nutrition” from a reel-to-reel film in “health class”- which was two weeks a year and included other laughable and useless lessons that in no way whatsoever prepared me for anything in real life. When the projector even worked, lol. Fried chicken was a food group. Cornbread was a vegetable.

Read as many threads here as you can. Educate yourself. Read studies. Question what you’ve always been told as diet and food truths. gi e the side-eye to anything touted by magazines, influencers and so on. Mostly, they’re utter drivel, or at worst, outright lies to getchyer money.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Im just assuming here- If you designed your WW diet just once before your weight loss last year, then its possible your body has now reached a maintenance equilibrium between calories eaten and calories burned.
    Consider a diet re-design, as if you're starting for the first time right now.