Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I start or learn to like eating healthy?

2»

Answers

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    Cook european cuisines.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited August 13
    @seffell - European cuisine like fish and chips, pizza, lasagna or weiner schnitzel? I vote haggis personally, boil me some neeps and tatties. Or boiled Irish potatoes - yum.

Alas- the OP hasn’t come back after his one post anyway so. C’est la vie.

Ps as I wrote this I had a pop up from BBCgoodfood.com on how to steam vegetables. lol Time to break out the steamer UK. 😉
  • MattFieleke
    MattFieleke Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for posting this to the forum. Is there anybody in your life who has a healthy food that they really enjoy? You guys could have a meal together and they can share why they enjoy it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited August 13
    Thanks for posting this to the forum. Is there anybody in your life who has a healthy food that they really enjoy? You guys could have a meal together and they can share why they enjoy it.

I’m in my life and I only eat food I enjoy.

Husband is also on MFP, and I havn’t heard any complaints about what I set in front of him.

Except he’s not a fan of roasted veg, which kills me, because I could eat them every day. He especially dislikes Brussels sprouts and beets. 😢 he doesn’t complain, but he very discreetly makes a point of only spooning out the vegetables he likes.

Last night we enjoyed homemade enchiladas with a side of slow cooked beans, and greens and diced tomatoes on the side.

Tonight he’s at a meeting and I’m planning to stop by the newest pizzeria on the way home from the gym, pick up a couple of to-go slices, and make a small side salad when I get home. I’d make do with one slice, but as a treat, I’ve built room in for two slices in my calories. I don’t get to do this often because he gets fewer calories than me, and it would be uncool to pig out on two in front of him, when he only gets one.

What’s not to like about pizza?

People, weight loss does not automatically mean suffering and withdrawal from favorite foods. What it means is not scarfing half a pizza, a whole order of breadsticks, and half a liter of sugar soda.

Life. Way too short to eat unpleasant, nasty, “force yourself to lose weight” foods.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    People, weight loss does not automatically mean suffering and withdrawal from favorite foods. What it means is not scarfing half a pizza, a whole order of breadsticks, and half a liter of sugar soda.

Life. Way too short to eat unpleasant, nasty, “force yourself to lose weight” foods.

Preach it, sister! I lost 40+ lbs while still eating pizza and burgers and ice cream every week, just by having 2 slices instead of 4, 1 burger instead of 2, 2 scoops instead of 3.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 449 Member
    It's unfortunate that in the US, many of the foods we grew up on are high fat, high calorie. So, we crave those as comfort foods. If we lived in Asia, our comfort foods would be lean meats, a lot of fish, some rice, and a bunch of vegetables!

Personally, I have grown to really like the taste and texture of foods that aren't so calorie-intense as I have aged. Of course, when we end up at a diner, I would love, love, love to order the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy with a side of corn (what I grew up eating in the 70s)! I just don't find myself at diners very often fortunately!