Snacks

What are y'all's go to snacks and what do y'all eat that has more protein in it? I'm just starting this journey and I'm having a hard time? Thanks ❤️

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Reasonably high protein snacks I like: Crispy chickpeas/broadbeans/lentils, dry roasted soybeans, 2% milk string cheese sticks or other calorie-efficient cheese, hard-boiled eggs, plain nonfat Greek yogurt with frozen mixed berries and chocolate peanut butter powder, skim latte. (NB: I'm vegetarian, otherwise there'd be meat/fish on the list).

Filling-to-me snacks that aren't so high in protein: Apples, prunes with a non-calorie beverage on the side, big heaps of raw veggies (the usual ones like carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumber; but also jicama, celeriac, kohlrabi and others), pickles (not just pickled cucumbers, but any pickled veggies or even mushrooms).

General foods that are high in protein but relatively lower in calories, i.e., can be snacks or included in meals, see this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 13
    Beef jerky

My go-to on days I’m very low on protein: Simple smoothie of chocolate Corepower, cottage cheese and ice- maybe with a drop or two of peppermint mint extract

Homemade ice creams made of skyr, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. I have 101 versions. Current one includes bitter orange marmalade and is amazing. Very delicate and light.

A homemade vanilla ice cream scooped into a zero cal Barq’s root beer.

Cottage cheese topped with anything you enjoy. My favorite is frozen blueberries, cherries, blueberry balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of grapenuts.

A chicken sausage on a slice of toasted carb smart type bread.

Lidl has a lovely seasonal tomato and sardine pate right now. Something like that scooped out with pretzels or celery.

Cheese (if you can control it. I can’t.)

Roasted edamame or garbanzo beans.

All things I enjoy eating, and can easily and reliably portion and control
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Oh and an oldie but goody

Greek yogurt
    Sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    Can of puréed pumpkin
    A dash of zero cal sweetener
    Pumpkin pie spice
    A little ice water.

Whip with an egg beater, allow to chill and firm. Serve with a squirt of canned whipped cream.

Tastes like pumpkin pier without the crust and without baking. I can get you the exact measurements if you’d like. Just post here.

I generally make that in the autumn, so I’ve forgotten right now.

Greek yogurt
    Sugar free lemon or chocolate pudding mix
    A little ice water

Whip well. Tastes like a fine restaurant mousse. Lovely! High protein and low cal.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Premier Protein shakes. Every flavor is good except chocolate. Choc is kinda meh.
    cvs3l8euto3d.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    These are carb heavy but light on calories:

4 ginger snap cookies = 120 calories
    Quaker Oats chocolate rice cake = 60 calories