Anime: What got you started? What are your favs?

Options

Replies

• MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Fave movies: My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, Akira, Evangelion, Whisper of the Heart
    Grave of the Fireflies ALWAYS makes me cry!
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've never "gotten" the appeal of anime. I'm not really a fan of cartoons in general, so maybe that's part of it. But this seems like a good place to ask- what is it about anime that you like so much? What appeals to you? What am I missing?

I used to think the same way. I felt that people who liked anime were "weird" and that it was stupid overall..
    what got me into it was the cute girls (and yes that may make me sound weird too) and just the appeal of the Japanese culture. I think there are definitely male characters that I wish my husband could be more like. They are by no means for children (well the MAJORITY of them aren't) and are definitely not cartoons. I had to seriously put myself in the mindset of "i am not going to judge this i am going to give it a chance" and watched a whole series within a week or so. Then i got hooked. you have to find that ONE that will just put you into it. I find myself now wishing I could have had a school life in japan or that I was japanese because I am just obsessed with the Japanese culture now.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Our Religious Education teacher used to let us watch Anime on VHS back in the day when I was 14, so a bunch of us used to watch them during the lunch hour. Noteworthy watches I remember were;

-Akira
    -New Dominion Tank Police
    -AD Police
    -Bubblegum Crisis
    -Vampire Hunter D
    -Neon Genesis

and a bunch of others that got stopped due to too much ridiculous boobage, gore, violence or tentacleness - considering the list above, the RE teacher was clearly pretty relaxed

Though he did get done for assaulting his neighbour who was having an affair with his wife, apparently he beat him up with the for sale sign of his house - kudos

Oh and I forgot Gundam and Guyver as well, that *kitten* blew my tiny little boob obsessed fourteen year old mind
  • HollyRed13
    HollyRed13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love Howl's Moving Castle <3
    Studio Ghibli are amazing. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are really pretty good as well. But nothing can beat when Howl turns ginger and says "Life's not worth living if I can't be beautiful.." and gets really depressed. Or Calcifer <3 Ahh memories lol
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think mine was Vampire Hunter D the film. I remember staying up late at night when they played on the Sci-fi channel back in the late 90's. Then I watched Sailor Moon, and DBZ and Gundam Seed on Toonami. Before I knew it was called Anime.

Later when I found out, I got into reading manga and watching more.

Favorites are Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 series. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny, and I love some lesser known ones like Gad Guard and Meltylancer. I could go on and on.

So happy to see an anime fan thread on here.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First one was Vampire Princess Miyu. I had awesome time cosplaying it at Connecticon one year.
    Some of the favorite series are Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Hell Girl, Shiki, Mushishi
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    FIGHTING EVIL BY MOONLIGHT!

Sailor Moon was my intro. My favorite series are Gankutsuou, Karakurizōshi Ayatsuri Sakon, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Vampire Knight and Yakitate!! Japan are my guilty pleasures.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Star Blazers!! Then Fist of the North Star - In my high school everyone was passing around a bootleg VHS of it. AMAZING.
    Then I went on to love Akira and Dragon Ball.

Now the list is too long to type out but some stars are: Bleach, Shippudden(Naruto), Fairy Tail, Death Note and someone just got me into Natsume.
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dragonball Z was definitely the one that got me into Anime.

the anime ive enjoyed are
    Death Note
    DBZ
    High School Of The Dead
    Angel Beats
    Elfen Lied(amazing)
    Attack on Titan
    Naruto
    Claymore
    Ranma 1/2
    Rurouni Kenshin/ Samura x
    FLCL
    Gunslinger Girl
    Digimon
    Pokemon
    Yugioh
    Desert Punk\

also, as most people, i love all the Miyazaki films
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I also enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle.

I guess I'm kind of anime-light.

You might enjoy some of Miyazaki's other shows. Take a look at Spirited Away for a similar, friendly story line. Maybe watch Princess Mononoke if you're looking for something a little more substantial and weighty. (Not that Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle aren't packed with some great themes and metaphors; Princess Mononoke just "feels" like a more serious movie.)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've never "gotten" the appeal of anime. I'm not really a fan of cartoons in general, so maybe that's part of it. But this seems like a good place to ask- what is it about anime that you like so much? What appeals to you? What am I missing?

Anime is just a story... like any other movie or television show. It's just told through animation. Originally, animation was used to depict supernatural elements because it was easier and less expensive than to use the special effects at the time. Of course, CG has made leaps and bounds over the years, and some animes have even embraced CG in the course of its evolution.

Personally, I'm not a huge anime lover. I prefer anime that is written for adults and stays true to the manga that inspired it, even though I don't read mangas.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started with DBZ and Pokemanz.

Some of my favorites are:

Fullmetal Alchemist (and FMA Brotherhood)
    Natsume Yuujinchou
    Blue Exorcist (the manga)
    Fruits Basket (the manga)
    Naruto (not sure why)
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Monster

So sure I'm forgetting many, so I'll edit if I remember.

SO MUCH WIN!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

I used to think the same way. I felt that people who liked anime were "weird" and that it was stupid overall..
    what got me into it was the cute girls (and yes that may make me sound weird too) and just the appeal of the Japanese culture. I think there are definitely male characters that I wish my husband could be more like. They are by no means for children (well the MAJORITY of them aren't) and are definitely not cartoons. I had to seriously put myself in the mindset of "i am not going to judge this i am going to give it a chance" and watched a whole series within a week or so. Then i got hooked. you have to find that ONE that will just put you into it. I find myself now wishing I could have had a school life in japan or that I was japanese because I am just obsessed with the Japanese culture now.

Just want to clarify that I don't think people who like anime are weird or that it's stupid. I like a lot of things that I know others aren't into- I'm a total fangeek (my ticker should tell you that). But anime doesn't speak to me the way those other things I love do, and I was just curious as to what the appeal is. I could tell you why I love Doctor Who, or Firefly, or Jane Austen, or any of the other strange things I love- they each have qualities that reach out and grab me. I would like to understand what it is about anime in particular that appeals to people. The same way that my college classes on Shakespeare helped me understand what is special about his work, and why it's so amazing- I didn't get it until I could learn to see it through an enthusiast's eyes, and now I love it.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Fave movies: My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, Akira, Evangelion, Whisper of the Heart
    Grave of the Fireflies ALWAYS makes me cry!

I have never ever cried harder than I cried when I watched Grave of the Fireflies. I can't even watch it a second time! :(
  • MichaelleahciM
    Options
    Dragon ball z was my first when I was a kid

My all time favs are dbz, death note, code gease, case closed, cowboy bebop and bleach.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Sailor Moon

Fushigi Yuugi

Revolutionary Girl Utena

:D!!

Sailor moon is my *soul*...I may be a bit obsessed ^_~

Sailor Moon is your soul?

tumblr_mjzj4jICLC1qjkedbo1_500.jpg

SAILOR MOON IS MY SOUL.

MINE.

You say you may be obessed?

tumblr_lrjxdqshQB1r04zywo1_500.png

I am definitely obsessed. So take THAT.

tumblr_m9e769cgY91rdzq07o1_500.gif

HAVE A NICE DAY
  • russbittles
    Options
    So, yes, I'm about to date myself. When I was in a freshman in college in 1993, my friend dragged me to an all night anime session at the anime club, in the attic of one of the dormitories. I was instantly hooked.

We watched Record of Lodoss Wars, Ranma 1/2, Vampire Hunter D, Bubblegum Crisis, Project A-Ko, Laputa: Island in the Sky, and Akira. Hiyao Miyazaki was so ahead of his time, I still enjoy his films. I took a hiatus from anime when I was in the Army, mostly because I didn't have a ready source.

When I first found Adult Swim on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s, I had a small child, and we watched Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha together. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop were impressive, as was Samurai Champloo.

Nowadays, I'm more into manga than anime, due to the direction anime has taken with the overly expressive faces, strange choices in character design, and voices of some of the seiyu (Think Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo, and you'll get where I'm coming from). I prefer the interpretation I derive from reading the manga. Manga is also ahead of the anime by anywhere from 6 to 8 months. So I knew who Tobi was long before the anime people did. Yes, I'm still down with the shinobi.

Reading manga has also introduced me to Korean Manwha, which is more web-toon oriented. Noblesse, The Breaker, Girls of the Wilds, Ability, and Tower of God are several popular manwha right now.

For anyone who is interested, http://www.batoto.net/ is an excellent place to get introduced to some incredible stories. The site serves ALL kinds of content, so fair warning.

Edited to add, because while I was typing this others posted stuff I love, and remembered some others: Witch Hunter Robin, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Macross, Fooly Cooly (totally awesome), and Ninja Scrolls.

I just recently watched Beck, was isn't in my usual genre range, but Oh my God, it was incredible! Highly recommend.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I also enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle.

I guess I'm kind of anime-light.

You might enjoy some of Miyazaki's other shows. Take a look at Spirited Away for a similar, friendly story line. Maybe watch Princess Mononoke if you're looking for something a little more substantial and weighty. (Not that Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle aren't packed with some great themes and metaphors; Princess Mononoke just "feels" like a more serious movie.)

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are beautiful movies. The quality of the animation and storyline are amazing
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay anime!

I watched DBZ and Sailor Moon when I was a kid, but then I kind of forgot about them after a while. When I got to college, my cousin introduced me to IRC (a chat program) and his online friends. They were very much into anime (as well as The Idolm@ster game and Touhou games) and made some suggestions as to what to watch. I started then with Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop, and Kanon, which were all pretty good series. After that, my cousin introduced me to Saikano, one of the saddest anime series I have ever seen. I loved every moment of it but bawled my eyes out every day for 2 weeks when I was watching it. I hadn't seen a show, movie, or other form of media except for books that had evoked such feelings up to that point. That's why I like to watch anime - character development and unusual heroes. Also, I like dem big eyes. Q u Q

My favorite anime, hands down, is Honey and Clover.
  • sakurajade
    sakurajade Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bleach Darker than Black D Gray-Man Hellsing Inu x Boku SS Intrigue In The Bakumatsu Romeo x Juliet Chrno Crusade Hakuoki Vampire Knight Naruto shippuden