Hi

I’m new to all this but on here trying to loose about 5kg to start of with “realistic goals and all that” anyway always happy to get advice from others.
I’m looking to add a lot more protein in my diet but I’m finding this hard.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hi, Laura, and welcome to the MFP Community forum!

Three things I found helpful when I was starting out on MFP, trying to get adequate protein on reduced calories:

1. This thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

2. Reviewing my food diary regularly, looking for foods that had relatively many calories, but little or no protein, and that weren't important to me in then-current portion sizes or frequencies for feeling full, getting good overall nutrition, or just general happiness. I could cut the portions or frequency of those to free up calories, then spend those calories on other foods I enjoy eating, foods that had at least some protein. Repeating that process, and focusing on revising my routine eating habits (not just one-time things), helped me gradually get to the level of protein I wanted to be getting. (The thread linked in #1 helped with identifying new protein-y things to spend my calories on.)

3. Probably obviously, getting at least one main protein source (25-30g protein) into every meal . . . but also getting small bits of protein in addition to that by choosing breads with more protein, veggies with more protein, grains with more protein, snacks with more protein, etc. Those added bits were smaller, maybe just a few grams, but they added up through the course of a day to make a meaningful total contribution.

Wishing you success here!

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Welcome!

Listen to @annpt77! Ann is good, Ann is wise!