Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are my steps getting counted twice?

I have my FP synced with my Fitbit so at the end of the day I am getting credit for the steps I have taken but I’m also entering my walks as cardio- is this duplicating the same info? I don’t want to give myself more exercise credit than I should. Thanks.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I don’t know about Fitbit, but there is an Apple Watch calorie adjustment for just this reason. You have to go in and turn it on (or, off, if you don’t want it.)

This is how it looks on on my diary. It’s the negative entry:
    931e2fky8wup.png

It takes into account steps during various workouts, as well as credit I already get for setting my activity level at “very active”.

It’s a bit of a mind funk to have negative calories show, and drove me wild at first because it felt like punishment for working hard, but once I understood the reason it seems pretty accurate.

Any Fitbit users here see or know how to activate a similar offset?
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,449 MFP Staff
    I have my FP synced with my Fitbit so at the end of the day I am getting credit for the steps I have taken but I’m also entering my walks as cardio- is this duplicating the same info? I don’t want to give myself more exercise credit than I should. Thanks.

No; your daily tracker adjustment takes this into account and isn't double counting. You can view more details by tapping on the adjustment, and then get even more details by tapping on the "i" button on the next screen that comes up.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    I don't think you should log exercise on MFP if you have a fitness tracker synced. Your Fitbit is already sending over your calorie burned including exercise calories (even if you can't see the individual exercise sessions in MFP, which is a peculiarity specific to Fitbit).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Depends on the tracker.

Apple Watch doesn’t automatically record exercise of any kind. You have to start and stop a workout in the device.

I can walk a zillion steps on Apple Watch and get almost no credit for the activity. While they’re “just” steps, they need to be fueled like anything else. I did 33,000 steps on a trip earlier this year and I think my move ring only turned twice and I got credit for about 20 calories, which made no sense.

Also, if you’re highly active, you need to have it recorded somewhere to make sure you’re fueling that activity.

TL:DR. Know your device. 😇
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 26
    You can tell MFP not to adjust calories for step counts or for exercise. Just make sure it is set to only adjust for one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    You can tell MFP not to adjust calories for step counts or for exercise. Just make sure it is set to only adjust for one.

Turning off the exercise calorie adjustment is a premium feature, not in free MFP, as far as I know.