I'm new here :) Plus size and postpartum - looking to be healthier for my kids.

Hey!

I'm Hannah. I just had a little boy 2 weeks ago via an emergency C section and I already have a daughter who is 18 months. I am very overweight and though it wasn't said outright, I fear my weight caused issues with my latest pregnancy and birth. I am very unhappy about how I look and feel and I want to be a good role model for my children. I can't do that the way I am.

I have been on many diets and plans where I have lost a lot of weight and none at all. I think this time it needs to work and stay off, so I am going to put my all into a healthier lifestyle. I would love to hear from those of you who have lost a lot of weight whilst balancing children, and jobs etc. those who can offer advise and support, I would love to hear from you.

I am breastfeeding so I need to make sure I am getting what I need to do that, and I will be working full time again in about 4-6 months. I'm still recovering from my operation but I'm keen to already make changes. Having been overweight all my life, this is more than a challenge for me. I hope this time it will be different.

I'm nervous but I can do this.

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Go slow and steady with something sustainable that will also teach you new permanent good eating habits.
    Id say you should start by getting familiar with MFP and log all of your food without changing much.
    Spend about a week doing this so you have some baseline data to work with. Make changes after that.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    This probably isn't the best time for a dedicated weight loss effort since you're recovering from major surgery and need to keep a milk supply up. Maybe you can work on small habits in the meantime instead? Maybe a good project for now would be things like eating a balanced plate, increasing veggies, just tracking consistently (without cutting calories), or hitting a specific macro goal, like grams of protein per day. You could get a head start on the habits you'll need when you do start reducing calories.
  • llmsizemore
    llmsizemore Posts: 1 Member
    Tracking honestly is so important! You'll start to see where you need to improve your diet and learn healthier substitutions you can make eventually. Don't worry about cutting calories initially, but learn more about what each food option contributes so you can make healthier choices while staying satisfied. You shouldn't restrict calories for 6-8 weeks after giving birth, until you have recovered from childbirth and established your milk supply. Remember, breastfeeding alone consumes about 500 calories per day. Good luck!
  • Bovinity55
    Bovinity55 Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 23
    Hi Hanna! As a Mom who had 2 c-sections and breast fed, I agree with what the other ladies have said about not cutting calories at a time when your body is working to heal itself and making a good milk supply. Your nutrition is so important right now! I would try to see if you can add some healthier items to your diet, while logging all the food you eat! For me personally, logging my food is what has helped me most with my weight loss. This is a great site, you can learn so much! Congratulations on the birth of your son!