Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help

Not doing good at all not losing weight I am disabled so exercise is limited I have a bad leg that swells every time I try to do walking exercise don’t know what to do so discouraged

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,453 Member
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    Exercise not needed.
    What food do you like that is low calorie? Eat more of that. Less room for the high calorie stuff.
    Melons, tomatoes are in season. Both no prep, no cook, super low calorie, super good.
    You can do it. Just get started.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    I agree with Corina: Weight loss can be achieved entirely on the eating side of the equation.

Exercise is good for a person, though.

You mention leg issues. There exist YouTube videos (free) will various seated exercises. They range in difficulty from quite gentle (for beginners or those with disabilities) to quite vigorous (for wheelchair athletes). Would something like that help you?

Also, if you have access to a pool, water exercise, even simple things like walking in the water or treading water, can be good exercise. Since the water supports a lot of one's body weight, it can be gentler on legs than unsupported exercise.

Sending good wishes that you can work your way through the challenges to achieve your goals!
  • need210se51
    need210se51 Posts: 2 Member
    Weight loss can be achieved by eating better. However, exercise makes you feel good while that is happening. It gets the endorphins (happy hormones) going. Endorphins help relieve pain, reduce stress and improve your sense of well-being. I am also disabled and walking is not an option for me. If you live close to a YMCA, or any fitness facility, see what they have to offer. The one I go to has a new circuit called "egym". I started doing it July 16 and already I have noticed a difference in my pain level, strength, and even some toning. The very best exercise program for people who are disabled or have poor mobility is deep water aquafit. Being supported by a belt, you are putting no weight on your body. It feels great, the exercises aren't too hard, and you have the added bonus of making new friends. If you can go with a work-out buddy, you are more likely to go even when you don't want to. If that doesn't work in your situation, do chair exercises. You can find them on the web.
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 48 Member
    There are chair exercises you can do. I have been losing with diet changes alone. I need to add physical activity in but am finding it difficult because of my limitations (being run over by a car has led to problems and pain). I would try the pool as long as you don't have any open wounds that would be contraindicated.

You are not alone