Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Did you keep or throw out your larger waist size pants when you lost weight?

dbgfitness
dbgfitness Posts: 12 Member
Although I am wearing jeans with a smaller waist today, I have yet to throw out the ones that are too big for me. I don't know; maybe I worry about gaining back those lost pounds in the back of my mind. Are you saving your larger size clothes too?
Tagged:

Replies

• clcomer01
    clcomer01 Posts: 4 Member
    I plan on keeping mine. I lost about 40 pounds and kept it off for 4 years. When I remarried and moved I got rid of ALL my bigger clothes. Then I gain all the weight back and then some. This time I am keeping them all. Not because I am doubting myself, but because it seemed like bad luck. LOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,627 Member
    No, didn't keep bigger clothes, other than a few for some sentimental reason, not because I plan to wear them again in current form.

Because I hate to clothes-shop with a horrible fiery passion, staying in the jeans size I have is part of my maintenance strategy. This isn't the only or main reason, just one factor, but I'm in year 8 of maintaining, after 30 years before loss of overweight/obesity. (Having to buy new clothes from the underwear on out, and shoes on up, even some jewelry . . . that was about the only penalty for weight loss, in my world. Every other aspect was beneficial.)

To me, saving big sizes "just in case" is like planning to regain. I'd rather make regain as difficult, inconvenient, and generally unlikely as possible, in any way possible.

Some of my big jeans specifically, I cut up for crafts projects. I gave other clothes that were in good shape to charities, and threw out those that weren't sentimental, crafts materials, or good enough to donate.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 508 Member
    I threw them out after a year at my goal weight. I still have a couple of sizes in my closet as weight does fluctuate but if I gain more than 5 lbs over my goal it's time to take it off.
  • nuala3881
    nuala3881 Posts: 1 Member
    I get rid of anything that is too big for me. It ensures that I don't have any wiggle room to gain back weight and *have* to keep accountable and consistent with my exercise schedule and food diary.

I understand the want to keep a pair or two of pants "just in case", but in my past experience it was the "just in case" pants that gave me permission to have all the extra food and skip all the workouts I should've been doing. If I was suddenly desperate for a different size pant for whatever reason, I'd look at Goodwill or sales at local stores I shop.

This is what works for me, YMMV.
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 36 Member
    I believe it's a question of knowing and accepting yourself. I know my weight will be in a range and that's OK. So I kept clothes that felt good at the top of that range. I also focused on what I could not find easily again ( eg fine waled cords that are long enough).
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member
    Well, first I was preserving it as a token of my achievement, but later I gave it to some charitable organizations as a donation.
  • Angietj1
    Angietj1 Posts: 1 Member
    I have no intention of going back to my old size so as I grow out of them, I donate
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Some of them are really nice and were expensive. I think I might take them to a tailor and have them made smaller. I made an international move at my biggest. I realized that I didn't have room to bring anything that didn't fit. So ALL of the clothes I had before I put this weight on were given away. I brought only things that fit. Now I've lost the weight (14 months later) and I have a closet full of trousers that will be too big when the cool weather starts. A good problem to have, but it will cost me a little to have them altered.
  • domip42
    domip42 Posts: 1 Member
    Many people choose to donate or discard larger pants after losing weight as a way to stay motivated and make room for clothes that fit better. Others might keep a pair as a reminder of their progress. It ultimately depends on personal preference!
  • Tiffany083
    Tiffany083 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm currently a size 10. Anything that is 14 and up I get rid of. I like options just in case I gain a few pounds and if I get into a size 12 pants is when I start planning how to lose the weight. Any additional size up (unless for photos of progress) gives me personally the idea my weight loss isn't permanent.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,039 Member
    The last time I was about to drop a pants size and go shopping again was when covid hit, and much of my life fell to pieces at the time, so I still had my 'fat' clothes (which were one size larger than I would wear at my preferred size).
    Then, perimenopause hit hard and fast the past couple years, and while the scale only went up about 5 pounds (although flucuates wildly depending on the day), my pants were NOT fitting - at all. I actually ended up buying pants 2 sizes larger to be comfortable and not look like a sausage squeezed by tight rubber bands.
    So, while I've started HRT, which is allowing me to sleep better and helping with many other symptoms, which also has me now able to get back to my workouts and have the willpower to get back to tracking my food, and my appetite is back to more normal - most of that is fairly recent, and the scale is thus far still wildly unpredictable.
    So, for now, even when the weight does start to come off, I'll be keeping the fat pants for "those" days - like today. This morning my weigh in was (literally) 5 pounds heavier than it was yesterday, and a good 4 pounds higher than it has been in over a week. Overnight. No reason.
    So, yes, keeping the fat pants for days like this.
  • aprilmerritt434
    aprilmerritt434 Posts: 11 Member
    I kept them all until about a year after I lost it all, then got rid of them. I decided I wasnt gonna have "fat pants" anymore. If my pants didnt fit me anymore, I'd have to get back on track. It worked for me.
  • spottedpony62
    spottedpony62 Posts: 6 Member
    I plan this time to toss them as I reduce. I might - might keep one of my biggest pair but the rest are history. I'm not planning on getting back to where I started - ever.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!