Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Glut of golden raspberries!

claireychn074
claireychn074 Posts: 1,537 Member
Any ideas / recipes? They’re quite a delicate fruit and don’t keep that well. First year growing them and I have a LOT.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,853 Member
    I wish you could send them my way. Regular raspberries are easily frozen, so I imagine your golden variety too.
  • claireychn074
    Yes I wondered how they would freeze - I’ll give it a go. Don't they go mushy though?
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited September 8
    Might do a search on freezing techniques, but we froze our berries on sheet pans. Rinse berries, drain well, allow to dry. When dry, lay down plastic wrap or parchment, then spread out on a baking sheet not touching then freeze, remove and store in containers or zipbags.

Works well all berries, raspberries and blueberries seem to hold up well, strawberries do seem to get a bit mushy. I also like the boysen and blackberries this way.
  • acpgee
    Frozen berries will lose texture so you won't want to eat a raw handful. But they are fine for cooking.

Things that come to mind are smoothies, clafoutis (French egg based baked dessert), English summer pudding (google Sophie Grigson recipe), coulis for dressing up plain desserts like panna cotta, mixed into pancake batter or yoghurt. Sauces for meats like duck or pork that go well with fruit based sauces.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Raspberry puree (seeds strained out) is diversely useful, and would freeze well - maybe in an ice cube tray, even. Homemade raspberry liqueur is delicious. (It's basically clear spirits, simple syrup, and fruit, steeped for a few weeks to blend - easy. I've used homemade liqueurs or jams as Christmas or hostess gifts, too.) Raspberry sorbet is also really good.
  • acpgee
    Add Pavlova (I replace the whipped cream with no fat yoghurt) and Eton mess (you will need to google this if you are not in the UK).

I do a low fat cheesecake that I serve with berry sauce. My graham cracker crust is 90g of cookies crushed in the food processor and 30g of butter melted in the microwave to line a 6 inch springform pan. Skip the crust if you are strict about calories-it is nice crustless.

Filling is a small tub of of low fat Philadelphia cream cheese, about the same amount of no fat yoghurt, and then enough condensed milk to sweeten to taste. Add more yoghurt if you like the mixture to be tarter. Beat in 2 eggs and a tablespoon of flour. Bake about 20 minutes at 150C. Don't worry if it is jiggly because it continues to cook while it cools. Serve cool or cold.

Berry sauce is a handful of frozen berries mixed with a cornstarch slurry made with a heaped teaspoon of cornstarch and a few tablespoons of water. Heat up in a small saucepan and add Splenda or sugar until sweetened to taste. If it needs complexity add a squeeze lemon or lime.
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 49 Member
    I have frozen a couple small batches of golden raspberries over the past few weeks. Like others have said gentle rinse dry then freeze for a couple hours on lined tray. I have been adding fresh to overnight oats, I plan to use the frozen for oats as well!
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I wish you could send them my way. Regular raspberries are easily frozen, so I imagine your golden variety too.

If they did you could aways use them for smoothies. Frozen fruit works great for that if you make them that is.
  • claireychn074
    Ooo thanks all! I think I’ll try freezing a few but the raspberry puree sounds great too 😀
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 101 Member
    Might do a search on freezing techniques, but we froze our berries on sheet pans. Rinse berries, drain well, allow to dry. When dry, lay down plastic wrap or parchment, then spread out on a baking sheet not touching then freeze, remove and store in containers or zipbags.

Works well all berries, raspberries and blueberries seem to hold up well, strawberries do seem to get a bit mushy. I also like the boysen and blackberries this way.

This^

I look forward to summer berries. I keep a good stash in the freezer for Greek yogurt the remainder of the year.