Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet

What to eat to lose weight

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 157 Member
    What ever you want...just less of it.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    All of your favorite low calorie foods--in moderation daily. Your favorite high calorie foods--in small amounts occasionally.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    Food. Just don’t eat so much that the calorie amount exceeds the amount of calories you burn.

You want to eliminate as many ultra processed foods as possible. Start there.
  • abstractedbrown
    abstractedbrown Posts: 3 Member
    One study I read about they gave people some outrageous amount of raw foods (vegs + fruit) to eat daily - I seem to recall 15 pounds (or was it 15 kilos?) , and said they could as much as they want but had to finish off the raw food first, and then they could eat anything. And the weight dropped like crazy; I guess they were always full when they got to the bad food. Seems extreme but interesting story.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    One study I read about they gave people some outrageous amount of raw foods (vegs + fruit) to eat daily - I seem to recall 15 pounds (or was it 15 kilos?) , and said they could as much as they want but had to finish off the raw food first, and then they could eat anything. And the weight dropped like crazy; I guess they were always full when they got to the bad food. Seems extreme but interesting story.

That does sound interesting. I wonder how it affected their health and energy levels.
    I'm always looking for energy. I eat more and more trying to find that energy, yet I find raw low calorie foods--celery, broccoli, carrots--give me more energy than more calorie heavy foods.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Corina1143 wrote: »

That does sound interesting. I wonder how it affected their health and energy levels.
    I'm always looking for energy. I eat more and more trying to find that energy, yet I find raw low calorie foods--celery, broccoli, carrots--give me more energy than more calorie heavy foods.

If they got inadequate fats or inadequate protein, the health results long term would not be good, and the declining health would eventually affect energy levels negatively.

Balance. IMO, it's important to shoot for balance.

A fully plant-based diet is viable and can be nutritionally adequate (with some attention and effort). There need to be some protein-rich plant-sourced foods in there, with an eye to bioavailable and complete protein (in terms of essential amino acids, EAAs) and fats, as well as some micronutrients that are harder to get with a fully plant-based diet.

Veggies and fruits are great, but deciding to eat only or mostly those in order to lose weight is probably going to be a bad plan unless the person learns some needful things about vegan nutrition.

As an aside, an entirely raw foods fully plant-based diet poses even more nutritional challenges than simply a fully plant based one. Again, not impossible, just more challenging to get adequate nutrition: Cooking makes some nutrients more bioavailable, for example.

(BTW: I'm not a shill for Big Meat. I've been vegetarian for more than 50 years.)

There are a lot of sound, nutrition foods in between "veggies and fruits" (or raw foods) and "bad foods".

Many people do find whole foods more filling than highly-processed foods; but obviously there are whole foods beyond raw veggies and fruits.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    I'm keto with mostly animal protein and their natural fats with a good amount of above ground vegetables, little to almost no fruit but consume berries which is well known and documented to be a very good routine for weight loss and without actually counting calories, which is a bonus, and the effect is about satiety and hormonal balance and pretty much every person on this diet experiences that result. It's also the front line therapy for Doctors that deal with people with a lot of non communicable disease like obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, fatty liver etc. It may not be for you but thought I'd mention it. Low to lower carb have similar effect but might not actually stimulate those hormones to that degree. A whole food omnivore diet like the Med diet is probably one of the better diet but all that I've mentioned will need to have most processed food purged, which is a really big ask if you've been brought up in most western societies. Good luck.
  • oakster69
    oakster69 Posts: 70 Member
    What to eat to lose weight

Less calories than you burn each day!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    What to eat to lose weight? Less calories than you burn each day!

This. During my entire time losing 40+ lbs, I continued to eat burgers, pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc. But the AMOUNT I ate dropped:
    • One burger instead of two
    • Two slices of pizza instead of four
    • One scoop of ice cream instead of three

...and so on. I did increase the amount of fruits and vegetables I ate each day, but have remained an omnivore who includes meat and/or dairy in virtually every meal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member

I do have some questions here. Lets say 15lbs. That's 6804gr. 100gr watermelon, which is very low calorie overall has 30 calories. That would already be 2041 calories. Now take higher calorie food, and you might get into the range of where even severely obese people might gain weight just by eating fruit and veg. Of course there's veg with much lower calories. Say celery for example. But a lot of low calorie veg is best eaten cooked and not raw. Also, many fruit and veg are rather high in water. In said 100gr watermelon there are 91gr water. That would be 6191gr of water, or 6.2l or water. You'd flush out a massive amount of electrolytes. I do have questions 🙈
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    yirara wrote: »

I do have some questions here. Lets say 15lbs. That's 6804gr. 100gr watermelon, which is very low calorie overall has 30 calories. That would already be 2041 calories. Now take higher calorie food, and you might get into the range of where even severely obese people might gain weight just by eating fruit and veg. Of course there's veg with much lower calories. Say celery for example. But a lot of low calorie veg is best eaten cooked and not raw. Also, many fruit and veg, are rather high in water. In said 100gr watermelon there are 91gr water. That would be 6191gr of water, or 6.2l or water. You'd flush out a massive amount of electrolytes. I do have questions 🙈

Indeed. And my biggest question is: Who the heck is going to eat 15 pounds (let alone kilos) of raw veggies and fruit? I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, often 800g-1kg daily. That's quite a lot of food, and more veg/fruit than most people eat by very, very far.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,082 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Indeed. And my biggest question is: Who the heck is going to eat 15 pounds (let alone kilos) of raw veggies and fruit? I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, often 800g-1kg daily. That's quite a lot of food, and more veg/fruit than most people eat by very, very far.

Without knowing the details, my guess is nobody got near the fifteen pounds, and might have also lost weight simply because their bodies weren't quite used to the new diet. Some people have so much of a surplus that if they are heavy enough, just going down to 2500 cals or so might let them lose weight at first! Now I want to go find the details of that program and find out what really happened.

To the OP:
    the best diet is the one that you can stay on and be happy with. There are so many different strategies out there, you are bound to find one you like. The best way is to start with small changes, get used to them, think about different ways you can cut back without really missing it, and go from there. Move a little more, watch your sauces and your sugary beverages, try having more whole foods of whatever type. You may find that cravings go away with more nourishing food. That has somewhat happened to me but I can also make all kinds of things from scratch and still occasionally crave those! All the best to you.