Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is using a GLP-1 for Weight loss Cheating?

NeefahNee5
NeefahNee5 Posts: 5 Member
I haven’t been on mfp in a while but i started my health journey again after eating all of my feelings i gained over 31 pounds since November of 2023, after getting my blood work done and my cholesterol levels & hemoglobin A1c determined I was a pre-diabetic I decided to use compound tirzepatide, but I’m still doing the hard work as in changing my eating habits and cutting unhealthy foods, I’ve including exercise back into my daily routine so am I really cheating? I’d appreciate your feedback.. let’s debate!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Who or what would you be cheating? Why would anyone else's opinions matter when it comes to whether or not you're cheating, since your choice has pretty much zero effect on them?

I don't think you're cheating.

There seem to be a few people who believe the drugs are enough, i.e., they don't take on the work of changing eating/activity habits, but expect the drugs to make it automatic. (I don't think most do that, but a very few who've posted here sound that way; and I'd guess that participating in this site slightly over-selects for people who DO want to work on changing habits.)

Personally, I don't think the small minority of people who think that way are cheating, either . . . but I do think they have low odds of long-term success. (I hope otherwise, but think they're on a poor path. I'd like to see everyone succeed, using any reasonably health-compatible drugs, methods, supplements, etc., that may help them achieve that success.)

There's been a bit of discussion about this beforehand, such as:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10899263/using-semaglutides-is-cheating-or-not/p1

Do some people think you're cheating? Probably. Some people believe almost any nonsensical thing we could imagine. For example, some people think the earth is flat, too. We can't let idiots influence our achieving our best life, y'know? ;)

Best wishes!
  • cara605
    cara605 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi there, cheating or not, who cares. Your business.

I do want to warn you that compounded medicine can be very dangerous. It is not a well regulated space, nothing you receive from a compounding pharmacy is FDA approved. Patients often receive formulations that are not identical to the mass manufactured medicine available through a traditional pharmacy. This can impact the effectiveness and/or safety of ANY medication. There are applications for compounded medications, but should only be done when physician and pharmacist are working together.

In the glp-1 space, there are a lot of businesses trying to take advantage of people who are eager, even desperate, to use glp-1 inhibitors for weight loss. They are overcharging people for medication that they claim is the same as wegovy, mounjaro, ozempic, etc, but is not. You need to be very careful. I do not recommend compounded glp-1 inhibitors for any of my patients.

If you are interested in using glp-1 inhibitors, I STRONGLY recommend that you discuss the medication with your primary care physician (not an app doctor!) to make sure you are being prescribed something that is effective, safe, and worth your hard earned money. You should share with your physician that you are considering going to a compounding pharmacy so they can inform you of any specific risks associated with conditions you may have or be at high risk for and ensure that you are going somewhere reputable.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,735 Member
    cara605 wrote: »
    Hi there, cheating or not, who cares. Your business.

I do want to warn you that compounded medicine can be very dangerous. It is not a well regulated space, nothing you receive from a compounding pharmacy is FDA approved. Patients often receive formulations that are not identical to the mass manufactured medicine available through a traditional pharmacy. This can impact the effectiveness and/or safety of ANY medication. There are applications for compounded medications, but should only be done when physician and pharmacist are working together.

In the glp-1 space, there are a lot of businesses trying to take advantage of people who are eager, even desperate, to use glp-1 inhibitors for weight loss. They are overcharging people for medication that they claim is the same as wegovy, mounjaro, ozempic, etc, but is not. You need to be very careful. I do not recommend compounded glp-1 inhibitors for any of my patients.

If you are interested in using glp-1 inhibitors, I STRONGLY recommend that you discuss the medication with your primary care physician (not an app doctor!) to make sure you are being prescribed something that is effective, safe, and worth your hard earned money. You should share with your physician that you are considering going to a compounding pharmacy so they can inform you of any specific risks associated with conditions you may have or be at high risk for and ensure that you are going somewhere reputable.

Very well said! Of course using weight loss meds is not cheating or wrong or anything else. Do what's best for you, but I also agree that compound pharmacies are not ideal. I also understand that many people don't have the luxury of getting their meds through an fda regulated source.
  • rachjolly
    rachjolly Posts: 204 Member
    I have been on this app since 2010 and normally after dieting for 6 weeks I’d be miserable and ready to have a giant binge that will ultimately lead me back to all my old bad habits and putting weight back on.
    I’ve been on mounjaro since August. Eating healthier, moving more and feeling happy. I have no urges to binge and can finally see the light and the end of the tunnel with regards to my weight.
    I would recommend it to anyone that struggles losing weight or anyone that wants to lose weight without getting depression, guilt and other unhealthy food habits.
    Obviously the price is another issue and I sincerely hope that underprivileged individuals that want it can receive it through nhs or insurance in the near future.
    Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey, whichever path you choose ❤️
  • deewip
    deewip Posts: 19 Member
    If this is cheating I am sticking with it. I have been taking compounded Wegovy for 8 months and have lost 33 lbs. Just got the results for bloodwork and my triglycerides went from 227 down to 127! I have never had it this low ever! And I am not even to my goal weight. I am definitely getting healthier.
  • the_reflex
    the_reflex Posts: 128 Member
    I just can’t understand the whole concept of a medical treatment being called “cheating”. I guess the people who think that it is also think that people should just “be happy” instead of having antidepressants.