Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are the best tasting protein powders?

Hello everyone! I haven't experimented with many protein powders for shakes and I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews online for many different brands. Can anyone recommend one that doesn't have a chalky taste?
Tagged:

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    I'm not sure what a chalky taste is. I have tested various now (sometimes getting them for free) but I prefer vegan protein because it tastes kind of more substantial than whey, which both for me has a yucky texture and taste. But it's all individual. You don't say where you are and brands differ across the world.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,537 Member
    I am in the UK and use pure whey isolate from Bulk powders (good value and I can digest it). But it still tastes disgusting. I hate sweet drinks, and I mix it with skimmed milk to take the artificial sweetness down. But it’s still grim and I only use it when I absolutely have to.
  • I’m UK based and use my protein natural vanilla whey. It’s cheap. A bit artificial tasting on its own but ok mixed into yoghurt or into a smoothie with lots of frozen fruit
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    edited September 17
    So I've tried several, and with totally different ingredients. My fave seems to be Vegan Protein by Alpha Foods. There are probably much better ones with better bioavailability, but I can stomach these, they are not dusty when mixing with water, and not overly sweet (though they are sweet). I prefer fruity ones. For me, whey is 🤢 overall. But it's a preference.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 499 Member
    I use Simply Tera's Whey. It has very few ingredients, mixes well, and has a clean taste. Comes in 3 flavors: vanilla, chocolate, and natural.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    edited September 17
    Maybe people are too picky. I don't really care what brand or flavor I use, they're all much the same. They're all generally quite sweet with artificial sweeteners (I've seen at least one with stevia if you prefer that, I didn't). Some mix easier than others but they all mix easily if you're using a shaker bottle or blender.

I set an alert on slickdeals for whey protein and get whatever decent big brand is on sale, provided the macros are fine (at least 70% of calories protein). This includes Optimum Nutrition, Muscle Milk, MyProtein, Muscletech. Ideally I can get them for about $6-$7/lb. Yes, isolate is better, you get more protein as % of calories, but also the price is usually much higher, and you're really getting into min-maxing at that point if price is no issue.

In general the chocolate flavors are probably most reliable, vanilla is usually decent, but you're hit and miss with strawberry, cookies and cream, fruity pebbles, etc.

I have about 40 pounds in my pantry, lol.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    My daughter bought unflavored 100% whey isolate protein powder (human grade) for her horse, and since the canister is at my house (I feed the horses), I tried some mixed in Greek yogurt. It makes the yogurt a little thicker, but doesn't change the flavor at all. Have not tried it in a drink yet. Unfortunately, Costco doesn't carry an unflavored whey isolate powder, so it has to be ordered online. https://www.pipingrock.com/whey-isolates/whey-protein-isolate-unflavored-unsweetened-5-lb-2268-kg-bottle-20451?prd=17cfbc67&prisp=1&_slang=eng&_scurr=USD&gad_source=1
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,735 Member
    I prefer clear whey powders, to mix with water. Some variation of lemon or citrus is my jam. Right now 1Up Lemon Italian Ice is my favorite. Not thick, not chalky, not ridiculously sweet and the foam goes down fast. I like to shake it, add ice and go, so the foam thing is a big deal for me. I've eliminated powders I otherwise like due to the fact they take 30 minutes for the dang foam to go down.

Myprotein Lemonade and Muscletech lemon berry blizzard are good and wicked whey cherry limeaid. Only eliminated from my rotation due to the foaming. If you don't care about that, they're good, lol.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream is my favorite.
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 98 Member
    8tr9oro9727c.jpg
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 18
    I am a fan of Designer Whey. I like the Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I also prefer the ones made with animal proteins. The vegetarian ones always have a strong taste of PEA from the pea protein they use.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,765 Member
    8tr9oro9727c.jpg

YES!

I like the Sunwarrior chocolate vegan collagen builder. Plnt by Vitamin Shoppe is very good too. I just got a protein from Cho Cho, its new- gm66sqhh48ro.png

I also just got Turvani peanut butter flavor but haven:t tried it yet
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    I personally like Clear Whey the most. Easier to drink. But its way more expensive sadly.