Having realistic expectations

trixsterjl31
trixsterjl31 Posts: 80 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
Not sure who if anyone needs to here this but..IMO. Have realistic expectations and do not let big successes fool you into thinking the realistic expectations are to conservative. You should expect to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week.
When i started this again on July 4th I had great success and then I went on a nearly month long trip and came back even with what I started the trip at, down 20lbs from where i started working on me on July 4th. Then the scale plummeted to the tune of nearly a LB a day for 3 weeks. When this happened is was joyous and raise some unrealistic expectations in my mind about that pace maintaining until I was thin. I know that is not real. (weekly maint - (calories consumed for the week) = x. X/3500 is how many lbs your weight will drop anything over or under that is a mistake in the maint number, your food logging, or retention or lose of waste/water weight.
So my weight dropped fast and then went up and down 2 lbs and up 1 down 2lbs. I'm at the point now where I'm going to have the down shift weekly when i'm off and get enough sleep. During the week the scale will stall and even go up a little and then adjust down when I get 8 or more hours of sleep instead of 5 or 6.
Be strong and keep in mind there are no miracle cures for weight loss. It take time and dedication and changes to your choices.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,181 Member
    So true! It took me 10 years to put on 30 pounds. I have no illusions. I know it won't take 10 years to lose it, but I am patient. I lived this weight for a couple years... I can wait the months it will take to get it off!'
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 80 Member
    So true! It took me 10 years to put on 30 pounds. I have no illusions. I know it won't take 10 years to lose it, but I am patient. I lived this weight for a couple years... I can wait the months it will take to get it off!'

Good mind set. It is easy to gain 30 pounds over 10 years. If you go a few 100 calories over what your body uses each day on average in a week you'll add up 700 in 5 weeks you'll gain a lb. in a year you'll gain 10 lbs. In the same light if you hit your body maint and just walk from the back of a parking lot or climb the stairs instead of the elevator to the 2nd or 3rd floor over a year you can lose 10 lbs.

Today was a good day. On my off day I dropped 1 LB and then today before work 2 more. so I"m at a new low for this time around. As i'm gearing up for retirement and a new life i'm making a mindful effort to change habits and do what I can to make that life longer and happier. Good luck in your efforts @crochetluvr *lol i was like is that knitting or the game with the mallet and had to look it up crochet vs Croquet. My lady does crochet.
  • @trixsterjl31 Yes! 100% agree. 1-2lbs a week is how you know you are losing unwanted fat, not just mass amounts of water weight that will come and go and drive you nuts. Slow and steady helps me stay more consistent.