Im too fat for the scale to have stopped moving!

Options
The scale hasnt moved in about 2 weeks! Oh I take that back, it went up a pound, because I thought I should up my calories a bit. BIG MISTAKE. I still have 120 pounds to lose, how am I suppose to do that when the scale just wont move at all! Im so lost for ideas what to do now. Maybe you guys can help, ideas would be great!!!

Replies

• KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've just hit one of those dreaded plateaus ... they're real discouraging but with enough support you can work thru it and they'll start moving again. If you've been doing the same thing maybe it's time to try something new ... I know, easier said than done. Let me know if I can be any help!!
  • KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've just hit one of those dreaded plateaus ... they're real discouraging but with enough support you can work thru it and they'll start moving again. If you've been doing the same thing maybe it's time to try something new ... I know, easier said than done. Let me know if I can be any help!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I also had a 2 week period where my scale did not move, and yes, it is rather frustrating and does not help motivation in the least!

In the beginning of the year I wrote my "anticipated" weight on each Monday (in pencil, ha ha) of the week showing a loss of 2 pounds per week. I've had weeks (like above) that I haven't lost anything, but other weeks that I've lost more than 2 pounds. I was feeling unmotivated last week thinking that I was not as far along as I hoped by now so I pulled out that calendar to see just how far off I was . . . well don't you know it but I was EXACTLY to the pound of where I anticipated I would be.

If you eat ONLY healthy foods, drink drink and drink more water, and make sure to get in some physical activity EVERY DAY (even if it is just a brisk walk split up into 2 sessions) you will see results . . . our bodies are rather mysterious things and sometimes will not react the way we want them to.

Keep doing your "due diligence" and you will get there . . . remember . . . I create myself with the choices I make each day . . . so just keep making those right choices and it will work out for you!
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am 225lbs and I have lost 50lbs so far, and every once in a while my scale stops moving too, and sometimes I even gain a pound or two. Try changing your excersise routine and adding a lot more cardio. Also, I've upped my calories for a few days to like 1400 or so and then dropped them to 800 for two days after that and it jolts your body back into the scale moving also.
  • girlmeetsworld93
    Options
    Two tips that really helped me lose lbs were : no eating after 8, and HIT.

The first one is pretty self explanatory, for me I was eating most of my calories at 2 o'clock in the morning when I got off of work (im a waitress) and mcdonalds is on my way home. I stopped eating past 8 and I lost 6 lbs in a week! As well as the training method of HIT ( High Intensity Interval Training ), its been reported that this method of exercising burns 2x the amount of weight. If your rev up your energy for a few mins and bring it down to a breathable rate for a min or two you will get a great boost to your metabolism. A person that I watch on youtube is (bodyrock.tv) and she shows you at home routines that you can do without using any equipment except for a timer. If you dont have a timer you can use this one (http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer).

**Another tip that I have just recently tried (so I am not sure of its effectiveness ) is to take a pure Omega-3 Fish Oil capsule 40 mins before you workout and it is said to burn up to 45% more actual fat during the workout. Even if that isnt true, it's really good for maintaing heart health as well!!

I hoped this helped somewhat- and please don't feel discouraged, it takes time to see results and when you do, you well feel truly proud of yourself! So keep strong!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM? The exercise cals burned seem a bit high. Other than that, I would focus on being a bit more consistent day to day with your food (some days you are very low on cals, others higher) and trying to get a bit more whole grains and less carbs in your diet. Even though our cals overall may be low, it's sometimes WHAT we are eating more than how much of it.

Lastly, I would re-evaluate your calorie goal per day. 1500 seems a bit low, even with the inconsistencies each day.

Good luck--you've lost a significant amount of weight so far! It's not uncommon for what's worked in the past to not work anymore--we need to change it up a bit.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM? The exercise cals burned seem a bit high. Other than that, I would focus on being a bit more consistent day to day with your food (some days you are very low on cals, others higher) and trying to get a bit more whole grains and less carbs in your diet. Even though our cals overall may be low, it's sometimes WHAT we are eating more than how much of it.

Lastly, I would re-evaluate your calorie goal per day. 1500 seems a bit low, even with the inconsistencies each day.

Good luck--you've lost a significant amount of weight so far! It's not uncommon for what's worked in the past to not work anymore--we need to change it up a bit.

Yes I have a HRM so my calories burned are what I burn at the gym.. I work hard for those!

I did re-evaluate, thats why its so inconsistent because I have changed my goals, I upped them and gained weight!!! So they are now back down to 1500.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As far as your calorie intake goes you need to give the change some time to work. It's not going to happen overnight. I've been seeing the scale bounce around between the asme 5 pounds for almost 3 months now. I haven't been giving it my all but none the less it's discouraging. Try changing your workout routine. Don't expect overnight results. The weight didn't come on overnight, it crept up slowly. I agree with jkohan. A HRM is a very important tool to your weight loss. Invest in one. Don't let this stand in your way. You will see it start moving. This is the time to reflect on why you are in this. To better your health. Your not losing weight but your body is still changing. You are probably losing inches. Weight is shifting around. Hang in there, the scale will work in your favor soon. :flowerforyou:
  • jkohan
    Options

Yes I have a HRM so my calories burned are what I burn at the gym.. I work hard for those!

I did re-evaluate, thats why its so inconsistent because I have changed my goals, I upped them and gained weight!!! So they are now back down to 1500.

I was impressed with the 300 cals in 20 min on the elliptical! Sounded like an MFP calculation--takes me double to burn that with my HRM on. I'm sure you work your tail off for those calories!

I honestly thing 1500 cals is too low for you--I would go with the MFP recommendation and focus more on what you're eating in terms of whole grains, healthy fats and lean proteins, while moderating the carbs a bit.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/10-ways-to-move-beyond-a-weight-loss-plateau

check out this article from WebMD...

Hope it helps!

Good luck... we've ALL been there.
  • bellanean
    Options
    Two tips that really helped me lose lbs were : no eating after 8, and HIT.

The first one is pretty self explanatory, for me I was eating most of my calories at 2 o'clock in the morning when I got off of work (im a waitress) and mcdonalds is on my way home. I stopped eating past 8 and I lost 6 lbs in a week! As well as the training method of HIT ( High Intensity Interval Training ), its been reported that this method of exercising burns 2x the amount of weight. If your rev up your energy for a few mins and bring it down to a breathable rate for a min or two you will get a great boost to your metabolism. A person that I watch on youtube is (bodyrock.tv) and she shows you at home routines that you can do without using any equipment except for a timer. If you dont have a timer you can use this one (http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer).

**Another tip that I have just recently tried (so I am not sure of its effectiveness ) is to take a pure Omega-3 Fish Oil capsule 40 mins before you workout and it is said to burn up to 45% more actual fat during the workout. Even if that isnt true, it's really good for maintaing heart health as well!!

I hoped this helped somewhat- and please don't feel discouraged, it takes time to see results and when you do, you well feel truly proud of yourself! So keep strong!

I usually dont eat past 8 inless im starving from a workout. I do interval training, I dont take pills, i cant swallow them! hahha.

Im trying not to let it bother me, but two weeks now, its really starting to hit hard!
  • bellanean
    Options

I was impressed with the 300 cals in 20 min on the elliptical! Sounded like an MFP calculation--takes me double to burn that with my HRM on. I'm sure you work your tail off for those calories!

I honestly thing 1500 cals is too low for you--I would go with the MFP recommendation and focus more on what you're eating in terms of whole grains, healthy fats and lean proteins, while moderating the carbs a bit.

Thats what they suggest for 2 pounds a week. I tried 1 pound and it shot up to 2000 calories and i gained with that. Thats just way to many for me , that doesnt work.

I use the heart rate intervals and i lose tons of calories that way! its great!
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    I just read a post on AOL a couple of moments ago about plateaus!!! Maybe this will help some....its probably things you have heard about, but still its worth the read!!!

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/07/27/5-ways-to-get-off-a-weight-loss-plateau/?icid=main|main|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thatsfit.com%2F2010%2F07%2F27%2F5-ways-to-get-off-a-weight-loss-plateau%2F

Good luck!!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would give the highler calorie intake a good solid 3-4 weeks to work. I know that seems like FOREVER in terms of weight loss but if it is telling you to eat more, eat more. I agree with eating the quality foods.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Like RedneckWmn said, when you increase your calories, you have to give it TIME. You should give your body at *least* a month to adjust to any changes you make, including increasing your calories.

That said, I wouldn't even call a 2 week stall a plateau because water retention (sodium related or exercise related) can easily mask a 2 week loss for a while. Throughout my little journey, my body seemed to often take a couple weeks to adjust and then drop more weight than expected for a couple weeks, then adjust again, etc.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hello,

See below link on dealing with plateau. Hope this helps. There are other good articles on plateau on this site. You just have to test and see what works for you. Just Presevere, be very Patient, and lastly Positive.....:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107991-dealing-with-a-weight-loss-plateau?hl=plateau#posts-1488624

Keep up the good work and good luck!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bellanean
    Options
    Like RedneckWmn said, when you increase your calories, you have to give it TIME. You should give your body at *least* a month to adjust to any changes you make, including increasing your calories.

That said, I wouldn't even call a 2 week stall a plateau because water retention (sodium related or exercise related) can easily mask a 2 week loss for a while. Throughout my little journey, my body seemed to often take a couple weeks to adjust and then drop more weight than expected for a couple weeks, then adjust again, etc.

I would gain so much weight in a month if I increased my calories for that long! I can not do that! my body will have to find a new way to get pass this no weight loss.
  • jkohan
    Options

I would gain so much weight in a month if I increased my calories for that long! I can not do that! my body will have to find a new way to get pass this no weight loss.

Please keep in mind the science part of all of this that for some is a LARGE part of their success, and for others, a small part. However, the fact of the matter remains--in order to lose a pound, you need a 3500 calorie deficit over 7 days. It's tricky though--if your body feels that you are burning a ton, and not fueling it enough (which, with your exercise calorie burn reported, you are burning A TON), then EVERY calorie you consume it will hold onto. Couple that with the quality of calories you are consuming (fast food, higher carb food) and you are not going to be happy with the scale.

Seriously consider upping your calories and staying there long enough for it to make a difference and consider the quality of food you are eating. It will most definitely help.

Throughout all of this, it's very important to remember how successful you've been. You owe it to yourself and your body to continue to find ways to keep up with your success. Sometimes that means doing things a bit differently than you did before AND giving them a chance to work.

<3
  • bellanean
    Options

Please keep in mind the science part of all of this that for some is a LARGE part of their success, and for others, a small part. However, the fact of the matter remains--in order to lose a pound, you need a 3500 calorie deficit over 7 days. It's tricky though--if your body feels that you are burning a ton, and not fueling it enough (which, with your exercise calorie burn reported, you are burning A TON), then EVERY calorie you consume it will hold onto. Couple that with the quality of calories you are consuming (fast food, higher carb food) and you are not going to be happy with the scale.

Seriously consider upping your calories and staying there long enough for it to make a difference and consider the quality of food you are eating. It will most definitely help.

Throughout all of this, it's very important to remember how successful you've been. You owe it to yourself and your body to continue to find ways to keep up with your success. Sometimes that means doing things a bit differently than you did before AND giving them a chance to work.

<3

What kind of food do you suggest?
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    could your scale be broke? no matter who got on my scale it would read 220......this was for my 1 year old also........