Im too fat for the scale to have stopped moving!

Options

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Maybe you've just hit one of those dreaded plateaus ... they're real discouraging but with enough support you can work thru it and they'll start moving again. If you've been doing the same thing maybe it's time to try something new ... I know, easier said than done. Let me know if I can be any help!!
    could your scale be broke? no matter who got on my scale it would read 220......this was for my 1 year old also........

omg i wish. lol
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You may also want to monitor your sodium. For me personally, I can fluxate 5-8 pounds just because of sodium. Like someone said before, everybody is different and you need to figure out what works best for your body. As far as foods. Try not to eat out at least. Don't eat processed foods. Try to home cook everything. I know this sounds difficult but make enough for dinner to take leftovers for lunch.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Like RedneckWmn said, when you increase your calories, you have to give it TIME. You should give your body at *least* a month to adjust to any changes you make, including increasing your calories.

That said, I wouldn't even call a 2 week stall a plateau because water retention (sodium related or exercise related) can easily mask a 2 week loss for a while. Throughout my little journey, my body seemed to often take a couple weeks to adjust and then drop more weight than expected for a couple weeks, then adjust again, etc.

I would gain so much weight in a month if I increased my calories for that long! I can not do that! my body will have to find a new way to get pass this no weight loss.

Please keep in mind the science part of all of this that for some is a LARGE part of their success, and for others, a small part. However, the fact of the matter remains--in order to lose a pound, you need a 3500 calorie deficit over 7 days. It's tricky though--if your body feels that you are burning a ton, and not fueling it enough (which, with your exercise calorie burn reported, you are burning A TON), then EVERY calorie you consume it will hold onto. Couple that with the quality of calories you are consuming (fast food, higher carb food) and you are not going to be happy with the scale.

Seriously consider upping your calories and staying there long enough for it to make a difference and consider the quality of food you are eating. It will most definitely help.

Throughout all of this, it's very important to remember how successful you've been. You owe it to yourself and your body to continue to find ways to keep up with your success. Sometimes that means doing things a bit differently than you did before AND giving them a chance to work.

<3

What kind of food do you suggest?
    Rather than what I suggest, I can tell you what I don't suggest--which is fast food, and certainly not two servings of FF in one meal or more than once a day. I would lay off too many carbs in one meal--for example; breakfast. Not the half bagel thin, with the kashi cereal AND the juice. OR with lunch, crackers AND a sandwich and sushi. I would substitute many more green veggies and lean proteins into your meals.

And continue using your HRM --1000 calories burned in 90 minutes is an awesome feat, but seems a bit high to me given what is reported.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    You might also consider upping your calories slowly instead of a sudden climb from 1500 to 2000. Your body will have more time to readjust to new calorie amounts this way. I've started doing it VERY slowly as I approach my goal weight so that I don't suddenly have to eat an extra 750 calories, cuz my body would flip, I just know it. I'm adding 50 every two weeks or so. You don't have to go that slow, I just don't want to overestimate how fast I'll get to my goal, lol. Maybe add 50 calories extra a week to your goal until you're set for 1 or 1.5 lbs.
  • bellanean
    Options
    Like RedneckWmn said, when you increase your calories, you have to give it TIME. You should give your body at *least* a month to adjust to any changes you make, including increasing your calories.

That said, I wouldn't even call a 2 week stall a plateau because water retention (sodium related or exercise related) can easily mask a 2 week loss for a while. Throughout my little journey, my body seemed to often take a couple weeks to adjust and then drop more weight than expected for a couple weeks, then adjust again, etc.

I would gain so much weight in a month if I increased my calories for that long! I can not do that! my body will have to find a new way to get pass this no weight loss.

Please keep in mind the science part of all of this that for some is a LARGE part of their success, and for others, a small part. However, the fact of the matter remains--in order to lose a pound, you need a 3500 calorie deficit over 7 days. It's tricky though--if your body feels that you are burning a ton, and not fueling it enough (which, with your exercise calorie burn reported, you are burning A TON), then EVERY calorie you consume it will hold onto. Couple that with the quality of calories you are consuming (fast food, higher carb food) and you are not going to be happy with the scale.

Seriously consider upping your calories and staying there long enough for it to make a difference and consider the quality of food you are eating. It will most definitely help.

Throughout all of this, it's very important to remember how successful you've been. You owe it to yourself and your body to continue to find ways to keep up with your success. Sometimes that means doing things a bit differently than you did before AND giving them a chance to work.

<3

What kind of food do you suggest?
    Rather than what I suggest, I can tell you what I don't suggest--which is fast food, and certainly not two servings of FF in one meal or more than once a day. I would lay off too many carbs in one meal--for example; breakfast. Not the half bagel thin, with the kashi cereal AND the juice. OR with lunch, crackers AND a sandwich and sushi. I would substitute many more green veggies and lean proteins into your meals.

And continue using your HRM --1000 calories burned in 90 minutes is an awesome feat, but seems a bit high to me given what is reported.

Oh you picked out two bad days! lol I see what you mean though! Well I burned 500 in 45 minutes in the morning then went back to the gym after work and burned another 500 in 45 minutes. It wasnt all at once. But this morning I did burn 700 calories in an hour, so its not like it cant be done.
  • bellanean
    Options
    And you cant compare how long it takes you to burn the calories on the same thing that im doing because I weigh 270, im obviously going to burn a lot more calories then you.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

But you wouldn't. You may gain a little, but if you're eating at what should be a 1000 calorie deficit and increase your calories by 300 a day, that should still be a 700 calorie deficit, right? So how are you going to gain weight long term eating fewer calories than your body is burning? :wink:
    It's the initial change your body has to adjust to. If you increased your calories very gradually (add 50-100 to each day for a week, then 50-100 more for a week, and so on). You probably wouldn't see any actual weight gain at all.
  • jkohan
    Options
    And you cant compare how long it takes you to burn the calories on the same thing that im doing because I weigh 270, im obviously going to burn a lot more calories then you.

You are where I started, and while of course we all burn at different rates, I respectfully disagree.
  • bellanean
    Options

But you wouldn't. You may gain a little, but if you're eating at what should be a 1000 calorie deficit and increase your calories by 300 a day, that should still be a 700 calorie deficit, right? So how are you going to gain weight long term eating fewer calories than your body is burning? :wink:
    It's the initial change your body has to adjust to. If you increased your calories very gradually (add 50-100 to each day for a week, then 50-100 more for a week, and so on). You probably wouldn't see any actual weight gain at all.

But I already did, my body just cant handle 2000 calories.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

No, you did not.

What I'm suggesting, if you think you need to increase your calories from 1500, is for you to start by eating 1550 each day for a week. Then eat 1600 each day for 7 days; then 1650; then 1700. Only increase by 50 calories every WEEK.

If you've only been at a "plateau" for 2 weeks, I don't understand how you're claiming you've attempted to increase your calorie intake slowly in addition to giving your body a chance to adjust. Doing so could easily take 2 months.

I admit I'm a little frustrated with your automatic dismissal of the responses you're getting here. Why bother asking for help and suggestions if you're going to shoot down the advice you get without even trying it?
  • bellanean
    Options

No, you did not.

What I'm suggesting, if you think you need to increase your calories from 1500, is for you to start by eating 1550 each day for a week. Then eat 1600 each day for 7 days; then 1650; then 1700. Only increase by 50 calories every WEEK.

If you've only been at a "plateau" for 2 weeks, I don't understand how you're claiming you've attempted to increase your calorie intake slowly in addition to giving your body a chance to adjust. Doing so could easily take 2 months.

I admit I'm a little frustrated with your automatic dismissal of the responses you're getting here. Why bother asking for help and suggestions if you're going to shoot down the advice you get without even trying it?

Because I cant up my calories. Theres no way I can eat 2000 calories without eating crappy food, therefore making the calorie count higher.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with LittleSpy. If you haven't moved in two weeks how have you given the higher calorie intake a chance? Several people have posted that you need to give it time and gradually increase. Might be worth just giving a shot. I mean this in the nicest way possible and truely want you to do well in this journey. Trust me, it too me FOREVER to wrap my head around the fact that eating more is a good thing. You have to think about it is as the current weight you are at you were previously conusimg way more calories to maintain that weight. So you may have gained a pound but it's not what you eating or a true gain I'm sure. Its most likely water retention. Either from food or exercise. Your muscles retain water after an intense workout. It seems like you are getting some really intense workouts so this could very well be the case for you. Carbs are definitely going to hinder the weight loss as well. If you switch out those carbs for fruits and veggies I bet you would start seeing a change. Again, this is what has worked for me. But my best suggestion is to try something new and give it a real chance to work.
  • bellanean
    Options
    OK maybe I can help you guys out, I had lapband sugery , so I can not physically eat all those calories without having my food be bad. I can understand if you guys cant understand that, but I need to find a different way to lose the weight, but thanks for all your help anyways :-)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

No, you did not.

Because I cant up my calories. Theres no way I can eat 2000 calories without eating crappy food, therefore making the calorie count higher.

I understand the predicament, but unfortunately we all have to find a way to do that. Because one day all of us will be on maintenance calories and have to eat more than we currently are. Upping it 50 calories a week might also help you find small ways to increase your calories in a healthy manner. Because you won't be adding 500 calories at once you'll have to keep the additions small and therefore it wouldn't be a huge gap to fill in.

Baby steps. 50 calories a week is less than 1 boiled egg. and only a little more than 3.5 oz of carrots.

Baby steps.
  • jkohan
    Options

No, you did not.

Um, yes there is and it does NOT have to be "crappy food". Looks like you have a lot of friends on here...I would start looking at different food diaries to get some ideas. After doing a fantastic job, I would hate to see you self sabotage. YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • jkohan
    Options
    OK maybe I can help you guys out, I had lapband sugery , so I can not physically eat all those calories without having my food be bad. I can understand if you guys cant understand that, but I need to find a different way to lose the weight, but thanks for all your help anyways :-)
    How does having a lap band prevent you from eating HEALTHY food and not crappy food? I am seriously confused.
  • jkohan
    Options
    How does having a lap band prevent you from eating HEALTHY food and not crappy food? I am seriously confused.
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    We have already gone over the science behind increased calorie intact. Let's try completely unscientific metaphors now. Right now you are starving your body, it is a poor African orphan who no matter how badly wants some food it just can't get any. Now one day the UN comes and gives this child (aka your body) a whole loaf of bread. Boy is that child happy now! But does he scarf it all down in one go? No, he SAVORS every single bite of that loaf. He portions it out so the lovely enjoyment lasts longer. That is what your body is doing when you increase your calorie count. It holds on to them and savors them.

Now we give that child a loaf of bread EVERY day. Do you think by the 3rd week this child is still savoring every bite of his bread? Probably not, he knows there will just be another one tomorrow.

This is what we are trying to get you to do. You need to teach your body that you are not going through a famine. That there is in fact more than enough food around to survive and it can relax on the survival instincts and start letting those calories slide here and there because there will always be more tomorrow.

Do it for the starving African child!

(Now for some more of that science ... mmmm science)
    Your body takes one form of energy and converts it to another just like almost everything else in the world. There are two laws that govern all the energy in the universe. Those are the laws of thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that you can not create or destroy energy. This is seen in everything from photosynthesis to nuclear bombs. It always holds true. The second law is a little more complex and involves isolated systems and entropy but it basically states that no system is 100% efficient this includes your body.

If we look at only the first law it would seem that if you don't burn the calories you eat then you will store them as fat. This is the general "accepted" view of calorie counting but it is in fact wrong because that breaks the 2nd law.

It is this law that states that there is always a waste by product in all systems. This means that you don't burn every calorie you put in your body, some of them are changed to waste energy and some of it is quite simply discarded through your bodies wastes. With this law you can begin to see that your body doesn't have to "burn" or "store" all calories put in (but it does have to do something with them as per law 1).

Thus increasing your calorie intact allows your body to get sloppy with the over storage of calories and it begins simply discarding them or running a more inefficient conversion. So the actual calorie "storage" is less even though calorie "intake" increased.

Now please realize this is all in balance and you can't just shoot your calorie intake through the roof hoping it won't keep any of them. The universe is constantly trying to balance out including your body.

Helpful at all?

*I am not a doctor the laws of thermodynamics are physical laws (aka Physics)
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

Maybe I'm stupid but what does lapband have to do with not being able to eat good or bad food? 2000 calories is 2000 calories good or bad food. I would think more healthy food would go down better then greasey fast food.
  • bellanean
    Options

If i ate 2000 calories in healthy food, that would be alot of food! my body physically cant eat that much. I would throw up. pretty simple. Like i said, i can understand if you dont get it :-)