How much protein per day to lose weight?

sjay5360
sjay5360 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 7 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'4 and 135 pounds rn. I want to go down to 120. I've started hitting the gym recently and I learned that consuming lots of protein help, but I can't figure out what my goal should be. Each source tells me a different thing. How do y'all calculate your protein goal?

Best Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,816 Member
    edited October 7 Answer ✓
    Protein helps you to retain and build muscle, and it helps with calorie control because it's satiating.

It's your total calories relative to your TDEE that dictates your weight change.

If you're lifting, and I assume from your stats you aren't too overweight, then 0.7g per pound is a good minimum target. If you're vegetarian, or in a calorie deficit, or older, those are all reasons to go a bit higher, as high as 1g per pound maybe.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 511 Member
    edited October 8 Answer ✓
    +1.
    0.7g/lb is supposed to be universally usable for everyone, and some people respond well to 1g/lb.
    My approach is: 1g if I'm doing bulking weightlifting and 0.7g if Im cutting.

A word on your weight goals: "pounds" is just how much the earth is pulling you.
    If your training results in a fat-loss/muscle-gain recomp that leaves you still at 135 but looking awesome, you should consider that a success.

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,167 Member
    +1.

My approach is: 1g if I'm doing bulking weightlifting and 0.7g if Im cutting.
    you shouldn’t be lowering protein when you’re cutting