Do you guys have any tips for someone that doesn't like exercise, but they have to anyways?

I'm a very obese 28 year old woman with Type 2 diabetes, and I find exercising dreadful. I don't know why, but I just hate it!

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,764 Member
    edited October 13
    Tennis, table tennis, badminton, geocaching, cycling, yoga, (indoor) rowing, rebounding, rope skipping, boxing, judo, fencing, climbing, skateboarding, (ice)skating, soccer/football,...

So many sports and activities to choose from!

You haven't said what you don't like exercise, that might give us ideas on what you might like.
    Do you find it boring?
    Then a team sport or group activity might be better or an accroché you can do while watching TV/ ketenintegratie to a podcast etc.
    Or is it the being out of breath and sweating? Maybe intensity is the solution then, exercise doesn't need to be high intensity.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,355 Member
    Walking. 🚶‍♀️ 👍 it’s movement you do everyday.. walk to the store.. walk for leisure… it will add up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,144 Member
    Another one for walking here. It's the best exercise to get started. Put in headphones, pop on some energising tunes or an interesting podcast, and get your trundle on!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,544 Member
    Turn on your favorite music. Doesn't it make you want to move? Do it! Keep trying different things.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,111 Member
    I’m guessing your dislike may be because of pain or discomfort maybe because of the extra weight. All I can say is it will get easier and hopefully less horrible. Just do some walking. Whatever you can tolerate is better than nothing. Even a short walk after meals. Say 5 or 10 minutes, will help your blood sugar control.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Good ideas above, especially that idea about expanding your definition of "exercise". Any increased movement helps.

Daily life improvement, or extra movement in spare moments of your day, also helps - adds up.

Ideas here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

What DO you like to do? Watch TV? Read books? Do needlework or some other such craft?

Consider getting one of those little pedal or stepper devices that people use under desks, and get in the habit of using it while you read, watch TV, or do some other thing you do enjoy. No need to go all out, just gentle motion added to your day is a help.

I started getting routinely active when I was a 46ish year old obese woman, just finished with cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation - the whole nine yards). I was pretty physically depleted at that point, and also had just been diagnosed as severely hypothyroid. I started with things that seemed achievable for me, enjoyable if possible, but at least tolerable and practical. The first step, IIRC, was some very gentle yoga. I kept trying other things, and doing slightly more challenging things gradually as I was able. Within a couple of years or so, I'd become the supposedly mythical fat fit person, even competing athletically - not always unsuccessfully in age group terms - and loving every minute of it.

That was around 22 years and a bunch of weight loss ago. At 68, I'm active and still slim, 8 years after weight loss. (The exercise didn't trigger weight loss, by the way: That came later, when I got my eating under control, without much changing my exercise activity. Exercise is entirely optional for weight loss, but good for a person. The key is finding the right one(s), something that suits you.)

My point here is that if you start with something manageable but a little bit challenging, and build on that as you feel better and stronger, you can amaze yourself with how far you progress in a few months, let alone in a couple of years. If weight loss is the key for you, that can be done entirely on the eating side of the equation, and it doesn't need to be a suffer-fest of dramatic sacrifice, either. Slow and steady wins, when it comes to both weight loss and fitness development.

If I can be blunt: You're 28. If you get a handle on your weight and health condition soon, your future self will be intensely grateful, will have decades of a better quality of life in many ways. Please give it some thought, and start with things that are manageable changes for you.

Wishing you success - it's worth the effort!

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 702 Member
    I started doing much better when I re-framed it.

If you tell me I have to do something I won't, the stroppy little 10 year old inside throws a tantrum, I don't want to and you can't make me. So I will do even less than I would have done in the first place to prove a point.

However, if I am doing something because I like it and I want to that's all good. I like going for a swim, or hiking up the trail and stopping at the nice cafe on the way home. So I will, and then it just becomes what I do. Then I find really unlikely fitness goals because they look like fun and the positivity rolls along.. there is a great sense of achievement when you do something that few months ago you thought was impossible.

The problem is that before exercise felt like punishment, if I'm only doing it because my trousers won't do up I'm not getting much out of it.

My other top tip is audio books - if there's a good story as a distraction its much easier to keep going.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,172 Member
    I walk 1hr per day on our local trail with the dog and stretch and couldn't be happier and maintaining my weight with no issues... :)
  • standout00
    standout00 Posts: 146 Member
    I'm a very obese 28 year old woman with Type 2 diabetes, and I find exercising dreadful. I don't know why, but I just hate it!

I would suggest going for a walk for 20 mins at a pace that you can manage without being huffed and puffed to the point you can't breathe properly as that's the easiest exercise you can do with only your body weight (no weights involved!)