what is a good multivitamin?

ErickAtSwiff
ErickAtSwiff Posts: 9 Member
edited October 22 in Food and Nutrition
whats a good multivitamin to take? There are so many out there.

Answers

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,144 Member
    edited October 22
    Are you deficient in a vitamin? If so, you should be targeting that deficiency.

Honestly, multivitamins are a bit of a scam, unless your diet is poor. Basically, if you're deficient in one vitamin or another, there's generally not enough in a multi to rectify it, and if you're not deficient in any then you just pee out the excess - you don't get extra healthy for extra vitamins, your body just disposes of what it doesn't need.

If you have a diet full of fresh fruit and veg, and otherwise balanced, you shouldn't need a multi, unless you have other health issues (my husband takes one because he is coeliac and his gut disruptions hinder absorption of nutrients).

But the starting point should be addressing any deficiencies, identified through blood work.

If you do have a condition that makes taking a multi a good idea, you'll need to do your research but avoid MLM ones. After research, my husband takes Swisse Men's High Potency Multi.
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 101 Member
    edited October 23
    I agree. I take 5000 IUs of D every day. And a fish oil because I dont eat enough fat. Expensive vit(s) create expensive urine in most cases. I'll let you know first of next year if take 10k UI had any effect. I've been at it since middle of the year I did like 2 months at 10k IUs because i had almost every thing related to D deviancy. (low in blood work) and low good fats.
    Other deficiencies I think you should target by changing your processed food for fresh food. Like adding almonds and fresh fruit for my low cholesterol. D is hard to get from food and I work at night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    I agree that it's better to get nutrients from food to the maximum extent possible, then supplement individual things that are deficient.

If you really want to take a multi-vitamin, I'd suggest avoiding some of the health food store brands that will literally have thousands of times the recommended daily amount. At best there's expensive urine, and some things can be overdone to our detriment besides. Be especially careful about the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).