Different way of lifting

Options
So I recently found a new trainer. I'm giving him a shot because it's $10 cheaper a session. But I am not sure if I like his method. I have never heard of it before and wondered if anyone else ever had.

He makes you do 100 reps. If you get to 50 reps without pausing or stopping the weight goes up the next time. But even if you stop you still have to get to 100, no matter how many breaks you take.

Has anyone ever tried this? Is it effective or just a waste of time?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ummmm.......

i got nothin. 100 reps? of what? and not 10 sets of 10, but 100 reps unbroken? what exercises did you do with what amount of weight during your last session? i'm 99.99999999999999999987% sure that i'm calling bullshurlit on this style of "lifting" but i'd like to get a few more details before i weigh in.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    100 reps is fine if you're wanting to burn off some fat and not really do much for muscle development.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    BAH.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ummmm.......

i got nothin. 100 reps? of what? and not 10 sets of 10, but 100 reps unbroken? what exercises did you do with what amount of weight during your last session? i'm 99.99999999999999999987% sure that i'm calling bullshurlit on this style of "lifting" but i'd like to get a few more details before i weigh in.

yea i've been confused too but didn't know if it was something i wasn't aware of. i don't think it's possible to do the 100 unbroken, but he makes me get 100 in total of each exercise. and if i hit 50 without stopping the weight goes up the next time. it's "normal" exercises for lack of a better word. i was willing to give it a shot for the money savings but if it's not going to do what "normal" lifting does it's just a waste of money i guess
  • annebaum41912
    Options
    oddly enough he's a competitive body builder... he swears it works. i don't know if i want to take the time to find out if no one else has ever heard of this method
  • DavPul
    Options
    let's try to narrow down the meaning of the phrase "it works". works for what, exactly? it might work for something. if you're trying to get a pump, i bet it's damned effective. but that's primarily a bodybuilding thing, not a building strength or preserving muscle thing.

what does he believe it works for and does his belief align with your personal goals?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Lol he gots you doing the Grimm Repper workout.
  • annebaum41912
    Options
    let's try to narrow down the meaning of the phrase "it works". works for what, exactly? it might work for something. if you're trying to get a pump, i bet it's damned effective. but that's primarily a bodybuilding thing, not a building strength or preserving muscle thing.

what does he believe it works for and does his belief align with your personal goals?

i don't know what you mean by "get a pump". he knows i want to get fit and gain muscle. he says this will achieve that. i'm not arguing for him. i legitimately want to know if ANYONE has ever come across this, as i have never heard of it.

like i said. don't want to waste time if this will not achieve my goals. saving $10 means nothing if i won't do that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's worth a $10 dollar savings. It sort of sounds like a body pump class and you can do those as an included cost of the gym membership.

Getting a pump just means that your muscles temporarily puff up a little after lifting (and look bigger for a little while).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Spend the extra $10.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot on weight lifting (not an expert at all) and I can't comprehend why 100 reps of anything would be good.

Crossfit? It will help with endurance on whatever lifts you're doing?
  • annebaum41912
    Options
    I don't think that's worth a $10 dollar savings. It sort of sounds like a body pump class and you can do those as an included cost of the gym membership.

Getting a pump just means that your muscles temporarily puff up a little after lifting (and look bigger for a little while).

yea my gym has classes like that, not that we've ever done 100 reps in them.

i guess i'll ask him if he'd consider training me the way i want to, and if he says no i'll stop seeing him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

i guess i'll ask him if he'd consider training me the way i want to, and if he says no i'll stop seeing him.

Yeah, I guess you're right. They don't do 100 reps at a time. I just remember the instructor saying that we did 500 reps or something like that (but he meant of everything total). I just took the class about 3 times or so.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i read something about lifting 10x10 a while ago, though i understood it more as an interval workout...
    100 reps sounds to me like you're spending an awful lot of time on each lift.
    it could be seen as some funky cross between cardio and lifting, but for me those are two separate things...

eta: 100 reps vs say 50 (5x5 plus generous warmup) - you spend twice the time at a $10 an hour savings - how much less are you actually spending?
  • DavPul
    Options

do that plus ask him to explain the what's and why's behind his training style. if it makes sense to you and you are satisfied with his answers AND you actually enjoy his style, then stick with him for a few months and see how it goes.

The truth is that there are many ways to do this so hell, for all i know his way might be awesome, especially if you're more interested in building muscle instead of strength. but it would bore the crap out of me and if i won't stick with it i might as well not start it. YMMV
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Mike Rashid does something similar and he's a natural competitive bodybuilder. Watch him do 225lbs on bench press for 210 reps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwXUQiIw-8
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It is very time consuming. I'm finishing a high volume workout. 100's is not something I want to attempt after what I've done these 4 weeks. It's not a bad thing, but if you don't know why you're doing it, why do it?

Eta: I love high volume, btw. Maybe give it a chance and if you don't like it, complain. There's other high volume workouts if this one is too much. Or switch to strength training.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Mike Rashid does something similar and he's a natural competitive bodybuilder. Watch him do 225lbs on bench press for 210 reps

he's doing rest-pause in groups 3-5 or so, not 50-100 unbroken reps. and it took him over half hour. it was basically his whole workout. and he's advanced (and most likely enhanced), not a beginner.

but yeah, if the OP is more interested in developing bodybuilder type muscles, she's going to be doing a lot of sets and reps so hey, for all i know 100 reps in a row might be awesomesauce. i split a lot of reps over lots of sets and a variety of different exercises but hey, to each their own. what threw me off most was that most people with questions on MFP do not have BB goals. they are usually more interested in LBM retention and strength gains.

so i'll say it again, if she gets a decent explanation from her trainer, try it and see.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

he's doing rest-pause in groups 3-5 or so, not 50-100 unbroken reps. and it took him over half hour. it was basically his whole workout. and he's advanced (and most likely enhanced), not a beginner.

but yeah, if the OP is more interested in developing bodybuilder type muscles, she's going to be doing a lot of sets and reps so hey, for all i know 100 reps in a row might be awesomesauce. i split a lot of reps over lots of sets and a variety of different exercises but hey, to each their own. what threw me off most was that most people with questions on MFP do not have BB goals. they are usually more interested in LBM retention and strength gains.

so i'll say it again, if she gets a decent explanation from her trainer, try it and see.

Thank you for bringing some context to this. Just because X person does something, doesn't mean it is appropriate for everyone.

It really depends on where you are now, what your goals are and what you are willing to sacrifice to get there.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Her trainer isn't making her do 100 reps in a row, he's making her do 100 total reps with weights she cant do more than 50 consecutive reps with.