Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It sounds like GVT done wrong.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It just seems that for a beginner to be doing that many reps it could run the risk of some overuse injuries. Just something to think about.
  • That seems kinda brutal and more cardio geared than anything else.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Spend the extra $10.

^^ That.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Uhm, it may work for muscle endurance? But it really sounds like a glorified way to hurt yourself. It's worth the $10 extra for a competent one.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Umm it sounds similar to a method employed by Chad Waterbury.

For each excericse you have a rep goal for each excercise. For a given weight you will also have a goal for your first set.

Example: Bench Press

Rep Goal: 40 Reps

First Set Goal: 100 lbs for 8 reps

THen you just have to get 40 reps in, regardless of the number of sets it takes you. As long as you hit 100 for 8 on your first set you increase the weight. Sample might look like

Set 1: 100x8
    Set 2: 100x7
    Set 3: 100x7
    Set 4: 100x6
    Set 5: 100x6
    Set 6: 100x6
    Set 7: 100x1

Total Reps 40: Hit your first set goal so you increase the weight.

I was never a fan of the style, but if your first set goal is 50 that seems pretty ludicrous.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    ummmm.......

i got nothin. 100 reps? of what? and not 10 sets of 10, but 100 reps unbroken? what exercises did you do with what amount of weight during your last session? i'm 99.99999999999999999987% sure that i'm calling bullshurlit on this style of "lifting" but i'd like to get a few more details before i weigh in.

yea i've been confused too but didn't know if it was something i wasn't aware of. i don't think it's possible to do the 100 unbroken, but he makes me get 100 in total of each exercise. and if i hit 50 without stopping the weight goes up the next time. it's "normal" exercises for lack of a better word. i was willing to give it a shot for the money savings but if it's not going to do what "normal" lifting does it's just a waste of money i guess

So what do you mean by 'normal' exercises?

Squats? Bench? Bicep curls?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    ummmm.......

i got nothin. 100 reps? of what? and not 10 sets of 10, but 100 reps unbroken? what exercises did you do with what amount of weight during your last session? i'm 99.99999999999999999987% sure that i'm calling bullshurlit on this style of "lifting" but i'd like to get a few more details before i weigh in.

yea i've been confused too but didn't know if it was something i wasn't aware of. i don't think it's possible to do the 100 unbroken, but he makes me get 100 in total of each exercise. and if i hit 50 without stopping the weight goes up the next time. it's "normal" exercises for lack of a better word. i was willing to give it a shot for the money savings but if it's not going to do what "normal" lifting does it's just a waste of money i guess

I was wondering about that also.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    100 reps is fine if you're wanting to burn off some fat and not really do much for muscle development.
    Reps don't burn fat. No exercise does. It burns calories. This many reps done straight are more for muscular endurance. If broken up to say 10 sets of 10 reps, then it could be used as volume training if the weight is heavy enough to only complete 10 reps in a set.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oddly enough he's a competitive body builder... he swears it works. i don't know if i want to take the time to find out if no one else has ever heard of this method
    Lol, that makes sense now. Probably enhanced too, so broscience is probably strong with this one.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Umm it sounds similar to a method employed by Chad Waterbury.

For each excericse you have a rep goal for each excercise. For a given weight you will also have a goal for your first set.

Example: Bench Press

Rep Goal: 40 Reps

First Set Goal: 100 lbs for 8 reps

THen you just have to get 40 reps in, regardless of the number of sets it takes you. As long as you hit 100 for 8 on your first set you increase the weight. Sample might look like

Set 1: 100x8
    Set 2: 100x7
    Set 3: 100x7
    Set 4: 100x6
    Set 5: 100x6
    Set 6: 100x6
    Set 7: 100x1

Total Reps 40: Hit your first set goal so you increase the weight.

I was never a fan of the style, but if your first set goal is 50 that seems pretty ludicrous.

I was thinking the guy is doing GVT wrong where you are training for 10x10..but instead of breaking up the 100 total reps into sets of 10, he is trying to do it with 2 sets of 50 or just one full set of 100.

Then again, this guy could just be nuts and trying to come up with some method he can market at a future date.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    100 reps is fine if you're wanting to burn off some fat and not really do much for muscle development.
    Reps don't burn fat. No exercise does. It burns calories. This many reps done straight are more for muscular endurance. If broken up to say 10 sets of 10 reps, then it could be used as volume training if the weight is heavy enough to only complete 10 reps in a set.

IDEA Fitness member

She said that he doesn't increase the weights until she can do 50 reps in a row, without breaks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Mike Rashid does something similar and he's a natural competitive bodybuilder. Watch him do 225lbs on bench press for 210 reps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwXUQiIw-8
    He does do it with rest/pause method. Still a feat to do and it took over 35 minutes to do it. But I suspect that type of "endurance" smells of some enhancement. Least that my opinion on most competitive naturals. I haven't yet met a "pure" natural that weighed over 200lbs in competition condition. Most of the big ones who were pure naturals (say 5'10) were hitting about 180-190lbs.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

She said that he doesn't increase the weights until she can do 50 reps in a row, without breaks.
    Then she's definitely doing muscular endurance training.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

If I could do 50 of something, the weight needed to go up ages ago. I'm so glad I finally found such an awesome trainer! :heart:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good god. That guy is a moron. Do yourself a favor and don't use a trainer. A lot of people recommend a 5x5 program like stronglifts. Personally, I do a Dorian Yates / Mike Mentzer HIT program. I do one set to failure of the basic lifts with an ideal rep range of 7 with about 70 seconds of time under tension. That means good form with an even cadence emphasizing the negative part of the lift. People who bang out a set in less than 30 seconds don't know what they are doing. Lifting to failure is critical.

Bodybuilding.com has some YouTube videos with Yates explaining what to do.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Mike Rashid does something similar and he's a naturalcompetitive bodybuilder. Watch him do 225lbs on bench press for 210 reps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwXUQiIw-8

Lol, he's not natural he's in the WBFF.

Anyway, a couple of very well know bodybuilding routines that implement 100 rep sets are German volume training [although thats 10x10]and kris kethins DTP program, although why he would make a beginner do either of these is another question.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ummmm.......

i'm not always so good at explaining names. one was the leg press machine where you sit at an angle and push it up. the rest were all arms, like the chest press machine (i think) laying back and pushing it up. also dumbell raises to the front, ones where i leaned on a incline bench forward and pulled my dangled arms up. nothing he had me do was a weird exercise. it was just the manner i found odd. but since i'm new to this i thought maybe i was just naive.

when i go friday i will ask him. i don't know that i enjoy the method. like i said before, if he won't agree to train me the way i'd like to be trained i probably will go back to my old guy even if he does cost more
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Here is the youtube video series I was talking about:

• PikaKnight
    Options
    ummmm.......

i'm not always so good at explaining names. one was the leg press machine where you sit at an angle and push it up. the rest were all arms, like the chest press machine (i think) laying back and pushing it up. also dumbell raises to the front, ones where i leaned on a incline bench forward and pulled my dangled arms up. nothing he had me do was a weird exercise. it was just the manner i found odd. but since i'm new to this i thought maybe i was just naive.

when i go friday i will ask him. i don't know that i enjoy the method. like i said before, if he won't agree to train me the way i'd like to be trained i probably will go back to my old guy even if he does cost more

So he isn't even pushing you towards free weights, but machines? Did your other trainer want to get you doing free weights more?

And $10 more is cheap when you consider quality and knowledge. Obviously this new guy "needs" to cut prices because he's got a dumb program going.