I tried going IIFYM today - here are my results

Replies

• xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    I have a question if any1 can help pls... How do I adjust my macros? I really didn't have a clear understanding of IIFYM until reading this thread & now I want 2 adjust my protein & sodium... Btw- Ty for this topic... It has helped me gain a better understanding of good nutrition... =)

Do you want to know what to adjust them to or how to manually adjust in your settings?

Well both would be great! I did a lil research after reading this thread & got a good idea of what it should be on the protein & I went in2 my diary settings & didn't see a way 2 manually adjust them... but any info I can get would be appreciated... TIA! =)

This should help - it covers macro calculations as well as how to manually over-ride the MFP settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Awesome! Thx so much 4 the help! =)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Stolen!
    ? Copyrighted image? Sorry about that. I removed mine.

Sorry, I went to bed and didn't see your message until this morning. As someone pointed out, I was just saying that I liked your image choice and wanted to use it in the future. :flowerforyou:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Stolen!
    ? Copyrighted image? Sorry about that. I removed mine.

Sorry, I went to bed and didn't see your message until this morning. As someone pointed out, I was just saying that I liked your image choice and wanted to use it in the future. :flowerforyou:
    20130803-190802_zpsefdcce41.jpg
    Here is again, steal away. :laugh: I'm such a dork sometimes.:tongue:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    .. guess I've forgotten how to post pics!
  • Cindyinpg
    .. guess I've forgotten how to post pics!
    Agh, I know, it took me a while to remember again and I still mess up all the time. This should help. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/832956-how-to-post-pictures
  • ladyraven68
    Ok, lets try again.

Here is a day when I did have chocolate, and hit MY macros.

Sorry it's a bit blurry, but you should get the idea.

When I was doing this properly, I used to log my lunch/dinner the night before and then see what I was short of.

So If I needed more protein, I added cottage cheese/greek yogurt
    Short of fat, I added butter/oil to my cooking

Once I'd met my protein and fat, then I knew I could have my chocolate or glass of wine.

It's all in the planning.

Screenshot_2013-09-08-16-19-57_zpsdedbcf91.png
  • Cindyinpg
    Ok, lets try again.

Here is a day when I did have chocolate, and hit MY macros.

Sorry it's a bit blurry, but you should get the idea.

When I was doing this properly, I used to log my lunch/dinner the night before and then see what I was short of.

So If I needed more protein, I added cottage cheese/greek yogurt
    Short of fat, I added butter/oil to my cooking

Once I'd met my protein and fat, then I knew I could have my chocolate or glass of wine.

It's all in the planning.
    Amazing how you had cottage cheese and ham and still kept your sodium so low. I'm jealous: we don't have that brand here. I don't watch sodium, but whenever I have cottage cheese (which I love), I end up WAY over on sodium and gain water weight, so I have to avoid the scale for a day or two. :grumble:
  • ladyraven68
    Ok. I will play along. My diary from yesterday doesn't look accurate today being I increased my calories by 100, carbs up 30g, protein down 5g. So they look off. But at the end of the day yesterday I was 2 cals short of my goal of 1950, 4g over on carbs, 3 under on protein and I think maybe 5 under on fat. I had 2 slices of pizza, 2 servings off count chocula, skinny cow ice cream, bacon. Along with other foods.

Today my calories are 2050. I'm at 0 left over. Carbs 2g under. Protein 1g under. Fat even. Today I have 3 servings of count Chocula. A bagel with cream cheese. Bacon. Ben & Jerry's Fish Food Ice cream. Along with other foods.

Feel free to look at how I work my IIFYM. And all my days are logged the day before.

I wish I hadn't looked - I want that ice cream now!!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Honestly, moderation or IIFYM isn't designed for people with a food addiction anymore than limiting drinking to 1 beer a day would be a good approach for an alcoholic. If your problem is that you can't do certain foods in true moderation, then a plan where you eat said foods in moderation is bound for failure.

I eat in moderation now (not exactly IIFYM, since my macros have a built in range based on what workout I'm doing that day) because I can handle some days with no sweets and some days with a 1/2 cup of Frozen yogurt in a kiddie cone. When I first started logging, any time I had junk food or went over my numbers by even a little, I had a very defeatist attitude and would binge eat.

It comes with time and practice. Members here are in all different fitness phases and all walks of life. Just because what they recommend doesn't work for you doesn't mean it is bogus or wrong.
  • From reading the first few posts I think OP completely missed the point of IIFYM....
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    From reading the first few posts I think OP completely missed the point of IIFYM....

yes, but she is now enlightened. :happy:
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    If you skipped the baklava, you'd have been darn close.

The idea is not demonizing foods into "good" and "bad". It's about meeting your calorie & macro goals with whatever suits your fancy. But meeting your goals. Not just eating anything you want. Eat whatever you want provided what you want to eat FITS your goals. For me, this means eating mostly good stuff, then blowing the rest of my calories on something tasty.

But you need to find what works for you. If you're not ready to introduce "treats" into your diet yet, it's fine. Maybe someday you will.

THIS!!!
  • sstillwell
    sstillwell Posts: 20 Member
    Most people think IIFYM you can eat anything, but the truth is you cant hit your macros eating pizza and icecream all day. Hitting your macros is harder than just hitting calories, at the end of the night you might have to eat weird combinations in odd portions to hit your macros exactly.

Amen!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    You do know that IIFYM doesnt mean "eat everything and anything, it's ok if it fits" It means you can eat in moderation. Meaning you should first eat what you require to fulfill your nutrient needs, only THEN should you eat whatever junk you want to meet your macros..
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Interesting thread - enlightened by IIFYM. There is one item I do try to fit in about twice a week - Starbucks! I actually will exercise more for it. :drinker: <<those are coffee cups for me, hehe!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    I think OP will be just fine. She was confused........and wanted to talk it out....was willing to listen to what everyone had to say, and seems to have now learned some things! As for "how do people have a pizza in front of them and only eat 1 slice, instead of half the pizza" (paraphrase), ........ that is a personal journey - - you gotta dig deep on that one (then let ME know how to do it too!) lol
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    To the OP - I know what you are talking about and I really agree with you, but you have to fit it to work with you. I know I cannot order pizza and have one slice a day. So I keep pizza out the house. There is no way I can have soft cookies in here either. those are the two things I cannot follow IIFYM. Other than that, I love the idea of IIFYM. I have my necessary food throughout the day and leave it open for late evening for my treats. If I had my treats after lunch, that would have me in shock for more treats at the end of the day. So I wait - patiently. This is how I fit it to work for me. And with my exercise, 95% of the time I can close out my diary without being over.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I think OP will be just fine. She was confused........and wanted to talk it out....was willing to listen to what everyone had to say, and seems to have now learned some things! As for "how do people have a pizza in front of them and only eat 1 slice, instead of half the pizza" (paraphrase), ........ that is a personal journey - - you gotta dig deep on that one (then let ME know how to do it too!) lol

Good.
  • From reading the first few posts I think OP completely missed the point of IIFYM....

yes, but she is now enlightened. :happy:
    Good!