I tried going IIFYM today - here are my results

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    oh yeah :) everyone has been so helpful and patient with me, i know they've probably seen my concerns over and over and i appreciate those who have taken time to explain what they feel is a simple concept.. for some reason i haven't been able to grasp it,, but i have reasons, i think i dont want to grasp it because to me it would give me too much liberty for the things which i dont want to include in my diet because i think they may lead me to trouble. (like today! :) oh i could have done worse easy!!!
    I think it may be that you don't have the ability or at least desire to do the calculation necessary to ensure that what you put in your facehole meets your nutritional needs, moreso than something giving you too much liberty. You already have all the liberty, you just make choices with everything you put in your mouth. But if you can't or aren't willing, that's fine. I can't sing worth a damn, and though I can cook, I am not often willing to, but that doesn't make me less worthy than someone who can sing beautifully or chooses to cook often. It's just a difference of personal style. You can eat "clean", stick to your calorie limit, and make sure you're eating a balanced diet and you'll do fine.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    So,since we all are basically doing IIFM, what do you all see as things about our way of eating (diet if you will) that you reject?

I see someone said fads like wheat belly or clean eating, etc.

I think if a person WANTS to eat cleaner food which means less processing with preservatives, added sugars, added salts, for example, that is ok. I mean, if i want to eat beef stew with fresh carrots, peas, potatoes, my own seasonings, that to me is a "clean" meal. but that might open up another can of worms here lol...

I guess you mean don't fear food if it is a perfectly good food.. not to get obsessive about it.

Well i hope in my efforts to be a help and encouragement to anyone i have not steered anyone wrong.
  • NonnyMary
    oh yeah :) everyone has been so helpful and patient with me, i know they've probably seen my concerns over and over and i appreciate those who have taken time to explain what they feel is a simple concept.. for some reason i haven't been able to grasp it,, but i have reasons, i think i dont want to grasp it because to me it would give me too much liberty for the things which i dont want to include in my diet because i think they may lead me to trouble. (like today! :) oh i could have done worse easy!!!
    I think it may be that you don't have the ability or at least desire to do the calculation necessary to ensure that what you put in your facehole meets your nutritional needs, moreso than something giving you too much liberty. You already have all the liberty, you just make choices with everything you put in your mouth. But if you can't or aren't willing, that's fine. I can't sing worth a damn, and though I can cook, I am not often willing to, but that doesn't make me less worthy than someone who can sing beautifully or chooses to cook often. It's just a difference of personal style. You can eat "clean", stick to your calorie limit, and make sure you're eating a balanced diet and you'll do fine.

I will - thank you :)
  • NonnyMary
    Keep trying don't give up. Decide if u want pizza or ur health

Both! You can have pizza and your health too.

a slice of veggie pizza, thin crust, easy on the cheese?

OK see, that's where you're going to lose people. If that's YOUR choice, fine. But don't say that a slice of cheesy pepperoni that someone else has fit in their goals is unhealthy.

Ok i see the difference in your example. :)
  • NonnyMary
    OP is making this thread go round in circles

I tend to overthink and analyze something sometimes too much.. i just say its me being o.c.d. but i have to get to sleep soon.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Some people just have to cut certain foods out because they trigger binges.

There is no way I can eat 1/2 cup of ice cream. There is no way I can eat one pop tart.

I paid the price with what started out as mcdonalds shake which led to a 2 day binge.

Some people can eat everything in moderation. Some can't.

Bingo! THATS WHAT IM AFRAID OF!

I felt that way too. But it's called willpower, and trust me...it's not some magical thing that people already have.

Just like you train to run a 10k or to lift heavier weights....educating yourself, taking it a step at a time and working towards a healthy relationship with food (by not demonizing it or/and freaking out when you have pizza, etc now and again)....this encourages you to be able to make better choices for you overall (food wise and mentally).

I'm not saying I don't slip now and again and overeat or eat because of stress and such...but the times I do get less and less and as it gets less, I find I gain more willpower and confidence in myself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    IIFYM means 'If It Fits Your Macros', not 'If It Fits (in) Your Mouth'.

lol
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    yes you quite understand me. I personally believe there are people who must eat food with a different approach (the people who have eating disorders vs ones that just eat too much for another reason);

MFP set my numbers except i changed the sodium to eat around 1600 or less if i can. today was an experiment, but if you look back earlier this week and last week its what i do on a normal basis. I try to keep from starving by not starving myself on purpose, but sometimes you find your in a spot where you are not prepared as you could have been and too tired to go bother going to the store, or whatever, not trying tomake an excuse just saying what was the situation that put me in that spot.

I'm going to continue as i was doing, and if i keep that up i beleive i will make that goal of weight loss by 2 years from now.. its something that i have to live with.

I was reading some threads and i just didn't get them. I think when i read something someone writes like "I ate ice cream, pop tarts, pizza and fried chicken" i need to ask them what that really means in the big picture.. it can be misunderstood by someone from the outside looking in, like WTH are they doing???

I also wanted to check myself because like i have made already about 525 posts, and i advise people when they ask a question about "can i eat anything in moderation" i then am concerned if i am misleading them or what.

So just curious, what are your goals? Are you trying to lose 1lb a week? More or less?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    IIFYM means precisely that we do not worry about things like "clean" or "sugar" or "wheat" or "organic" or "preservatives" or "sodium". There's nothing whatsoever wrong with eating organic, clean, whatever, but none of that stuff will *ensure* that you meet your macros. Only planning, pre-logging, making adjustments if necessary and adding it all up will do that.

We're not all doing IIFYM. Some people don't give a rat's patoot if they get even a reasonable amount of protein, let alone a good amount, as long as they're under their calories and they don't eat any refined sugar or white flour (say). It drives me cray cray, but then again, they probably get itchy teeth from looking at the amount of processed food I often eat.

We don't mean that "we don't fear food if it is a perfectly good food", because I don't assign moral values (good/bad) to food. I don't fear food. Period. End of subject. I refuse to give it that power over me (anymore). I'm the one in charge.

I personally weigh the cost/benefit of most foods to see if I'm getting a good nutrition bang for the calorie buck. If I don't, and I haven't met my macro goals yet, I pass on that food.

I don't think it has anything to do with obsessive or not. Trust me, I could get *very* obsessive with IIFYM, but I am working hard on not getting back to an obsessive place with my weight loss efforts, because I know that way lies Binge City again.

But if you know how to meet your macros and you're consistently eating in such a way that does meet your macros, you *can* be very relaxed about it once you find your routine. You just have to be conscientious while you're dialing in the one that works for you. Then you can be more relaxed.
    So,since we all are basically doing IIFM, what do you all see as things about our way of eating (diet if you will) that you reject?

I think if a person WANTS to eat cleaner food which means less processing with preservatives, added sugars, added salts, for example, that is ok. I mean, if i want to eat beef stew with fresh carrots, peas, potatoes, my own seasonings, that to me is a "clean" meal. but that might open up another can of worms here lol...

I guess you mean don't fear food if it is a perfectly good food.. not to get obsessive about it.

Well i hope in my efforts to be a help and encouragement to anyone i have not steered anyone wrong.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

I don't think anyone has a problem should someone choose to eat "cleaner" foods. MOst people eat those foods regularly themselves

Whatever you choose, just leave out the sense of superiority towards others
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    watching%2Bmy%2Bgrandparents%2Btry%2Bto%2Bresearch%2Bproperties%2Bon%2Bzillow.gif
  • NonnyMary
    yes you quite understand me. I personally believe there are people who must eat food with a different approach (the people who have eating disorders vs ones that just eat too much for another reason);

MFP set my numbers except i changed the sodium to eat around 1600 or less if i can. today was an experiment, but if you look back earlier this week and last week its what i do on a normal basis. I try to keep from starving by not starving myself on purpose, but sometimes you find your in a spot where you are not prepared as you could have been and too tired to go bother going to the store, or whatever, not trying tomake an excuse just saying what was the situation that put me in that spot.

So just curious, what are your goals? Are you trying to lose 1lb a week? More or less?

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds a week. To also get ahold of food so that it is just what it is - food - and not as a substitute for love, calmness, emotions, fun, boredom, etc. (to conquer food addictions);

to get slimmer for better health, to be able to walk more than 2 blocks, and regain my energy and to go out dancing again !!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member

This is a page from my diary, which shows IIFYM done 'properly)

My protein goal is 114g (I hit 116) and my fat is 51g (I hit 58g). I did this with nutrient dense food, and then finished up my day/calories with some cookies and ice cream.

You can't just shove whatever you want into your mouth and call it IIFYM.

thank you - and thats a lot of food actually :)

Yeahhhh, My diary is a really intense game of 'How much can I fit today without screwing up my macros/going too far over.'

Answer is usually: A lot of food.

I know people think that those who follow a IIFYM eating style just eat whatever all the time but, in general, a lot of thought and planned and nutrient dense food goes into it.

Absolutely! I spend a good hour everyday planning and mixing all kinds of odd foods to hit my goals. It's not a free for all eat wtf you want. I don't even factor in "treats" until I've hit nutrient dense meals (I'm reversing). OP I would recommend you give it another shot without eating everything you want, planning your day ahead of time and weighing your foods.
  • NonnyMary
    IIFYM means precisely that we do not worry about things like "clean" or "sugar" or "wheat" or "organic" or "preservatives" or "sodium". There's nothing whatsoever wrong with eating organic, clean, whatever, but none of that stuff will *ensure* that you meet your macros. Only planning, pre-logging, making adjustments if necessary and adding it all up will do that.

We're not all doing IIFYM. Some people don't give a rat's patoot if they get even a reasonable amount of protein, let alone a good amount, as long as they're under their calories and they don't eat any refined sugar or white flour (say). It drives me cray cray, but then again, they probably get itchy teeth from looking at the amount of processed food I often eat.

We don't mean that "we don't fear food if it is a perfectly good food", because I don't assign moral values (good/bad) to food. I don't fear food. Period. End of subject. I refuse to give it that power over me (anymore). I'm the one in charge.

I personally weigh the cost/benefit of most foods to see if I'm getting a good nutrition bang for the calorie buck. If I don't, and I haven't met my macro goals yet, I pass on that food.

I don't think it has anything to do with obsessive or not. Trust me, I could get *very* obsessive with IIFYM, but I am working hard on not getting back to an obsessive place with my weight loss efforts, because I know that way lies Binge City again.

But if you know how to meet your macros and you're consistently eating in such a way that does meet your macros, you *can* be very relaxed about it once you find your routine. You just have to be conscientious while you're dialing in the one that works for you. Then you can be more relaxed.

what you said is what i basically do, except someone said i was depriving myself and that if i keep on doing what i have been doing, it will lead to a binge (forget about today's menu for this example).
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    bumping for later read
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    To also get ahold of food so that it is just what it is - food - and not as a substitute for love, calmness, emotions, fun, boredom, etc. (to conquer food addictions);
    I'm thinking this will require counseling moreso than a calorie counting app and losing weight.
    I will say it does suck that we have to learn to use food appropriately, unlike alcoholics or smokers, who can simply abstain entirely. But here we are, living in reality. Life is hard. We do hard things. Being hard doesn't mean we're excused from having to do it. If it was easy, everyone could do it. And a host of other pat sayings, but there's still the ring of truth...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    what you said is what i basically do, except someone said i was depriving myself and that if i keep on doing what i have been doing, it will lead to a binge (forget about today's menu for this example).
    Psssht... who gives a crap what "someone" says?! :laugh: It may be true for them. It's certainly true for me. But that doesn't make it true for you. Your results are your own, so your methods get to be your own too. We'll certainly encourage you to choose ones that are known to be healthy (e.g., nobody here's going to tell you to go on a ridiculous water cleanse or something!), but you're in charge of you. Don't give that power away to "someone"!:noway:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    watching%2Bmy%2Bgrandparents%2Btry%2Bto%2Bresearch%2Bproperties%2Bon%2Bzillow.gif
    Every thread needs Nathan Fillion gifs. True story.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    OP is making this thread go round in circles

Round and around and around and around we go

ohhh now tell me now tell me now you know.