I just ran a 5K without stopping: I have energy to spare!

Options
I just ran 5K without stopping for the first time in years. I even was able to push the pace (I have an HRM) Also, I am going to definitely do a 5K in November. I just want to make sure that I can do this regularly. I was so psyched I went and bought a new pair of running shoes!

What is significant about this is that the last 5K I ran I was not sure if I could make it. The reason why is that I would only have the endurance to only run 1.5 - 2.0 miles for training and half the time I would get a sore throat. The reason was simple. Here I was.. a 190-200 lb guy trying to run heavy 3 days a week and trying to eat just 1200-1300 calories. I would "bonk" and then get sick on a regular basis. I have been "starving myself" to lose weight for years and it always comes back..

Until Now.

Now I NET about 1/2 way between my BMR and My TDEE and I have FUEL to workout! I really don't care how fast I lose the weight...... I am going to say it again...

I REALLY DON'T CARE HOW HOW FAST I LOSE THE WEIGHT !!!!

It is about the daily process of doing the right things. On non heavy running days I try to eat right up to my calorie allowance. On Heavy running days I try to eat back 1/2 to 2/3 of my calories. I just try to keep every day green. And.. if I don't I just make sure that I make up for it in the long run.

I feel so much better and more energized now that I am not doing this kind of pattern in the past. Here is an actual 14 day snapshot from two years ago:

Gross Cals: 1622 cals per day, Exercised for 334 cals, and netted 1288

I was netting and EATING UNDER my BMR - No wonder I was always tired, sick, and "hangry"

After that 14 days.. here is a sample of the calorie counts after I emerged from a "starving cycle" to a "pig out cycle":

7424, 3162, 4763, 5300, 3761, 4240, 4770, 5300

Can you say Big Macs, Pizza Buffets, Snickers, Cape Cod Potato chips, and Dunkin Donuts - ALL IN THE SAME DAY
I can! drinker

I am staying in a reasonable range between BMR and TDEE, am never hungry, and love to workout and get more fit. If the lbs come off as a "side effect", then bring it on!

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    bump
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your 5k without stopping!

I notice now, after taking off 21 pounds, that my running has vastly improved and I can make the distance without stopping.

You have a great attitude geared for health success. :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I notice now, after taking off 21 pounds, that my running has vastly improved and I can make the distance without stopping.

Thanks so much .:smile: . you are "right on" I have noticed that the more lbs I take off... the more endurance I have, and I have more "spring to my step". I can't wait to see what running feels like when I am 15-20 lbs lighter!
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's fantastic and I think you have a refreshing attitude about weight loss :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Well done, that's fantastic and I think you have a refreshing attitude about weight loss :smile:

Thanks so much... I was so "hard headed" for so many years :smile:
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Can you say Pizza Buffets?
    Alas, CiCi's, I knew you well!

Awesome NSV, Chevy!
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As someone who went from not being able to run around the block to someone who runs regularly I know what a big deal this is!!! Way to go!!!!!!! I am high fiving you. :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @gormanghaste - Not only Cici's but Pizza Hut, Golden Corral, Pizza Inn.. it was "scary"

@imafitmom - Isn't it great! Thanks for the props! :smile:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Big Macs, Pizza Buffets, Snickers, Cape Cod Potato chips, and Dunkin Donuts - ALL IN THE SAME DAY

I hope you still eat the foods you really really like even those on this list, just not all in the same day. Especially pizza. I just started eating pizza again, just not the whole pizza and I probably won't have donuts on a pizza day, not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Congrats, isn't it great when the light bulb comes on and you really get it? I know that's the difference between people who lose and maintain vs yoyo dieters.

I hope to be able to say I ran an entire 5K someday soon!

I'm proud of you!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Big Macs, Pizza Buffets, Snickers, Cape Cod Potato chips, and Dunkin Donuts - ALL IN THE SAME DAY

I hope you still eat the foods you really really like even those on this list, just not all in the same day. Especially pizza. I just started eating pizza again, just not the whole pizza and I probably won't have donuts on a pizza day, not that there is anything wrong with that.

@steely - Your hopes are well founded - I have pizza once a week - Fridays is my family's "Pizza Night" and it feels awesome to dig into a real pizza (not some lean cuisine teaser). I just plan for it and it just works :-)

-- I wouldn't rule out eating pizza, donuts, and french fries in the same day either (after a race or a really good lifting session)

But to balance it all out.. I am eating more and more raw broccoli, carrots, peppers, celery.... salmon, ground turkey, egg whites... blueberries, strawberries, bananas and really liking them too!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @Cheryl

That is right on... it took years for the light bulb to finally come on for me.
    MFP is a classic "constant struggle" between the folks that finally have "gotten it" and the well meaning beginners that think they can lose 40 lbs in 4 months just by "sheer will". (Disclaimer - if you are the .05% on the site who have done just that, I apologize, and your lawyer can speak to my lawyer) :wink:
    Congrats, isn't it great when the light bulb comes on and you really get it? I know that's the difference between people who lose and maintain vs yoyo dieters.

I hope to be able to say I ran an entire 5K someday soon!

I'm proud of you!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's great....looking forward to getting the very same result when I manage to complete my first 5K...Well done and keep smiling :)
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! Mostly because I just started being able to run run 5k, without stopping, everytime. It's slow as hell, but I'm running!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @sonj - Thanks - I can't wait to do my first in a lonnnnnggg time! :smile: It will happen - just a month ago I was walking 200 steps / jogging 100 steps - over and over
    That's great....looking forward to getting the very same result when I manage to complete my first 5K...Well done and keep smiling :)

@nickel526 - Hi and welcome to the "slow as hell club" :drinker: I just don't know why I like running so much!
    I am so happy for you! Mostly because I just started being able to run run 5k, without stopping, everytime. It's slow as hell, but I'm running!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    @sonj - Thanks - I can't wait to do my first in a lonnnnnggg time! :smile: It will happen - just a month ago I was walking 200 steps / jogging 100 steps - over and over

@nickel526 - Hi and welcome to the "slow as hell club" :drinker: I just don't know why I like running so much!

Isn't it crazy to all of a sudden like running? I have started and never finished couch to 5k so many times and this time it's so different. I used to dread the days I had to run and now I look forward to them. Today I was running and the coach said time to stop and I really wanted to keep going. I made myself stop running though, I want to do this right.

Last night I bought my first real pair of running shoes, love them. I'm an overpronator and it felt so good when I was running today with all of the proper support.

Keep it up guys!
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    Congrats! That must be a great feeling!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @CherylIP67

How funny - I just bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday. Support is everything!
    Glad you are digging running!
    Last night I bought my first real pair of running shoes, love them. I'm an overpronator and it felt so good when I was running today with all of the proper support.

@Coffee4me57 - Thanks! :-)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Great JoB! I know well , how does it feel!:)) AAAAmazing!:)

It is amazing... especially when a few months ago I had literally given up hope of ever being a runner again! :-)