Protein and fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Protein should be 1g/lb of lean body mass (not total weight) that should free up the carbs you need.

That's what I use. There's no room for it, once both protein and carb requirements are met.
    You sure about that?

100%.

275g carb -> 1100 calories
    175g protein -> 700 calories

Leaves 500 calories for fats, which is nowhere near enough for 0.35 g/lb suggestion.

Dropping carbs much below that level leads to serious exercise problems (very active person). Something has to give, and its fat.

I choose to eat 1 g/lb of total body weight for protein, to protect me from losing any muscle while I'm losing fat. So for me, fat's gotta drop below that 0.35 g/lb limit too. My carb levels are required for mental health and daily functioning. Very bad things happen when I try to limit them more than I do.
    Eating protein in excess of 1g/LBM (lean body mass) is only useful if you are also hitting the weight as hard or harder than your average bodybuilder. Eating the additional protein will not stop muscle loss on its own.

I urge you to keep your fats at recommended levels because that is the macro that is responsible for hormone synthesis.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    tuna in water, greek yogurt, any lean meats. Those are the best things to get protein in. Beans have protein too and are high in fiber.
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    Protein should be 1g/lb of lean body mass (not total weight) that should free up the carbs you need.

That's what I use. There's no room for it, once both protein and carb requirements are met.
    You sure about that?

100%.

300g carb -> 1200 calories
    175g protein -> 700 calories

Leaves 400 calories for fats, which isn't enough for 0.35 g/lb suggestion.

Dropping carbs much below that level leads to serious exercise problems (very active person). Something has to give, and its fat, because the other two can't.

If there's a set of macros that works for you, that's totally cool, but as a blanket recommendation I don't see how the guideline can fit the math. And that's ignoring recommendations I'm getting that because I'm lifting hard I should consider going to 1.2 g/lb on protein.

Active in what way? And why do you feel that 300g of carbs is necessary?

Do you understand the role of dietary fats?

Also, I missed the last part you wrote. 1.2g/lb on protein? I lift very heavy and I'm fine at ~1g/lb-lbm
    Unless you are a body builder there is no need to go above the 1g/LBM. The additional protein is used to build new muscle which you can't do effectively on a cal deficit.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I choose to eat 1 g/lb of total body weight for protein, to protect me from losing any muscle while I'm losing fat. So for me, fat's gotta drop below that 0.35 g/lb limit too. My carb levels are required for mental health and daily functioning. Very bad things happen when I try to limit them more than I do.
    Eating protein in excess of 1g/LBM (lean body mass) is only useful if you are also hitting the weight as hard or harder than your average bodybuilder. Eating the additional protein will not stop muscle loss on its own.

I urge you to keep your fats at recommended levels because that is the macro that is responsible for hormone synthesis.
    True story. I'm a strength athlete, so it's right for me. I still average 25-30% of calories from fat, so I'm satisfied with that.
  • Morninglory81
    Options

True story. I'm a strength athlete, so it's right for me. I still average 25-30% of calories from fat, so I'm satisfied with that.
    :flowerforyou: