How do you pick your target weight?

Options

Replies

• igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    As the topic suggests, I'm having trouble selecting a target weight. Having a target is important to me for motivation purposes - as well as a time limit. I really need deadlines and targets.

Don't pick a target weight. Depending on the exercises you're doing and the diet your body's reacting to, weight isn't what you want to be measuring. It's just too unreliable. Take your measurements with a measuring tape and follow the reduction in inches. Though it still isn't the most perfect way of measuring yourself because things like water retention can screw with the measurements if you're not careful with your diet and water intake, it does give you more consistent results than the scale.

Anyway, I'm currently 69kg or 151 pounds. I was originally thinking of a target of 65kg, however when I input my height and target weight into BMI calculators, that puts me on the very upper edge of normal.

58kg (127 pounds) puts me roughly in the middle of the normal weight range however that just seems so tiny.

Every time I hear BMI being mentioned, that funny little voice in my head makes the alarm bells ring and with a megaphone it screams into my ears "BS! BS! BS! BS!"

In my several years of researching weight loss (I'm an 18 year old who's had body dysmorphia since she was 10 or 11 years old) the one thing I've always come across is that BMI is highly inaccurate for individuals. It was created to help calculate/interpret the weight of populations, NOT individuals. Health "professionals" (I can rarely take the "professionals" seriously) decided to use the BMI for individuals even though it's been shown time and time again that it's probably the most inaccurate popular method out there.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    BMI was invented as an insurance tool - to decide when to hike up premiums. It is a very outdated measure of the average American.

I would also comment on how fat caliper numbers were once calibrated, but cannot find a published source and won't post my old Professor's study experience stories as fact. Not that fat calipers are accurate either!

Which is why I laughed at the target numbers I generated and went with clothing size and permission to change my mind :)
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Frame is important as well! I'm a small frame, so I've picked my goal weight at the very bottom of my ideal BMI range; people with medium or large frames will want to go higher!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My target weight is the high end of my healthy BMI. Once I get there, if I feel like I want to lose more I will. I'm 5'7" and I'm shooting for 159.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For me when I first started I had thought I was 5'3 so my first target weight was 130, than I was measured and oops, I am 5'1.5 so quite a difference haha. My target became 120, I hit 120 and now aiming for 115/110, but more focused on the inches and less on the pounds because that might make me happier then the number on the scale. I currently have a size 26 inch waist and I've always dreamed of having a waist that small, but still not satisfied with it ... I also know it can be smaller.

While I'm 118 lbs right now, I'm more focused on working out and eating right, not really worried with losing weight though it's a plus if I do, inches are where I'm focused.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 my starting weight was 227, I wanted to lose 100 pounds and I gave myself 7 months to do it.
    I like setting goals too, however, it took me 8 months to lose 100 pounds.
    I then dropped to 112 that was way to low for my age.
    I want to be at 117, I am at 121 today.
    All my new clothes are size 4, I got rid of all my bigger clothes.
    I stay within a six pound range.
    Losing was easy compared to keeping the weight off.
    Just pick a target and go for it!
    Calories in must be burned! ( easy to say but not so easy to always do)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The first goal I set for myself was 165 which was just a number, then I went to a loss of 40% of my original body weight which put me at 140 and now I am going for a 19% body fat percentage to finish so it is not really a number now. I weigh 133 at 5'6, but to get to that bf% would be icing on the weight loss cake for me.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    I'm 5'3" too and have my goal weight set at 130lbs at the moment. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks because of focusing on building muscle and leaning down so I have no idea how much I weigh at the moment (last time I did I was 135lbs). I'm willing to accept my current goal weight, or lower, depending on how I feel regarding the tone of my body.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    107 for me, Female, 5' 3"
    I am using Dr. Joel Fuhrman's guide for my ideal height. He does emphasize being on the leaner end of your weight range vs. in the middle.

Here is his formula from his book, "Eat to Live":

For Men: 105 lb for the first 5 ft; 5 lb for each inch over 5 ft

For Women: 95 lb for the first 5 ft; 4 lb for each inch over 5 ft

I have always hovered around 125+ with enough to spare so I am excited as I am working my way to the lean version of me.

laughs insanely at the thought of being 131lb - at 5'9" - I havent been that light since I was in primary school. Honestly - the total generalisation of 'this is what you should be' is both funny and so annoying. I am now 12 stone - or 168lbs. If I get much thinner I will look like a carthorse that has been starved... not a look I think is very attractive and I would have to STARVE to get to that suggested weight.

Please take all such advice with a large pinch of salt - and go for a weight that is healthy but obtainable as we all know that if it means starvation, deprivation and excessive exercise, 99% of us will give up very quickly.

I have to agree with this. I have always been fit and I am currently at the slimmest I have ever been since I was 16.

I could only stay under 150lb at 5'9 with constant starvation and misery. Some people thought I was too skinny, others said I looked great. Either way, 5-10lb heavier I'm a much happier bunny, can maintain my weight eating large quantities of food as I love to do, have the energy to work out and lift heavy weights AND I am still slim. Furthermore I have built a good amount of muscle mass that I'm not parting with in a hurry just to make some arbitrary 'lean' target.

Not everyone is built with a tiny frame and little muscle mass so I don't think comparisons with women in China are necessarily helpful.

To the OP I think it's good to start with your first target. Get there, evaluate how you feel and look and decide if you'd like to go lower. If you want to, and it doesn't involve superhuman effort and deprivation I'd say go for it, otherwise stay there and be happy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am using Dr. Joel Fuhrman's guide for my ideal height. He does emphasize being on the leaner end of your weight range vs. in the middle.

I have always hovered around 125+ with enough to spare so I am excited as I am working my way to the lean version of me.

that's not a one-size fits all approach. I have 103 lbs of LBM. If I aimed to get to the 103 lbs total weight that formula would suggest, I'd have to aim for an impossible body fat % or give up muscle. Not exactly a smart idea, heading towards my menopausal years.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    LOL! I picked mine because it's my favorite caliber. .223. :D
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my goal is 135, maybe 130. I'm not as concerned with the actual weight as I am with overall body composition, but it's something to aim for until I'm closer to it. I chose that general range because I remember being that weight and looking pretty good, and I know it's something I can achieve while being healthy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's original question:

I set my target as just inside the high end of 'healthy BMI' because I really didn't know what was a good goal for me. I'm approaching that number now, and I think I will probably lose a little more, but at this point I'm more concerned with reducing my body fat % than the number on the scale. I suspect I will end up in the middle of the 'healthy' range for my height.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options

laughs insanely at the thought of being 131lb - at 5'9" - I havent been that light since I was in primary school. Honestly - the total generalisation of 'this is what you should be' is both funny and so annoying. I am now 12 stone - or 168lbs. If I get much thinner I will look like a carthorse that has been starved... not a look I think is very attractive and I would have to STARVE to get to that suggested weight.

Please take all such advice with a large pinch of salt - and go for a weight that is healthy but obtainable as we all know that if it means starvation, deprivation and excessive exercise, 99% of us will give up very quickly.

I have to agree with this. I have always been fit and I am currently at the slimmest I have ever been since I was 16.

I could only stay under 150lb at 5'9 with constant starvation and misery. Some people thought I was too skinny, others said I looked great. Either way, 5-10lb heavier I'm a much happier bunny, can maintain my weight eating large quantities of food as I love to do, have the energy to work out and lift heavy weights AND I am still slim. Furthermore I have built a good amount of muscle mass that I'm not parting with in a hurry just to make some arbitrary 'lean' target.

Not everyone is built with a tiny frame and little muscle mass so I don't think comparisons with women in China are necessarily helpful.

To the OP I think it's good to start with your first target. Get there, evaluate how you feel and look and decide if you'd like to go lower. If you want to, and it doesn't involve superhuman effort and deprivation I'd say go for it, otherwise stay there and be happy.

Another thing to consider--for the women--if you can remember roughly what you weighed when you started having your period, that is a good number to shoot for. For me, that also happens to be around my target of 107. As long as that system works, it's your body's proof you are at a healthy weight.

I do think comparing how people actually are from other parts of the world is helpful--it is a dose of reality--that what we might think is "too skinny" is actually the norm, and healthy. (Misconception: Not all Chinese women are small framed--many are completely average, and even "big boned" the farther north you go...)

I agree, reevaluate as you go and stick with a number you can be happy (eat and feel satisfied) with.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Another thing to consider--for the women--if you can remember roughly what you weighed when you started having your period, that is a good number to shoot for. For me, that also happens to be around my target of 107. As long as that system works, it's your body's proof you are at a healthy weight.

I do think comparing how people actually are from other parts of the world is helpful--it is a dose of reality--that what we might think is "too skinny" is actually the norm, and healthy.

I agree, reevaluate as you go and stick with a number you can be happy (eat and feel satisfied) with.
    It seems unrealistic, to say the least, to ask adult women to weigh what they did at 11 or 12-years-old.
  • sinistras
    Options

that's not a one-size fits all approach. I have 103 lbs of LBM. If I aimed to get to the 103 lbs total weight that formula would suggest, I'd have to aim for an impossible body fat % or give up muscle. Not exactly a smart idea, heading towards my menopausal years.

Yes, This is one approach. Nothing is one-size fits all. OP is looking for ways others get their target, and this is only one.
    Dr. Fuhrman is one of the few doctors in America specializing in nutrition, and is also a world-class figure skater. He knows about maintaining lean muscle mass. I think his target weights are sensible, although he does emphasize leaner targets than most.
  • sinistras
    Options

It seems unrealistic, to say the least, to ask adult women to weigh what they did at 11 or 12-years-old.

**Not if you had boobs and had the body to support growing a baby at 11-12 years old, it doesn't! It just means you had the body of an adult woman at 11-12. (Although we all still had a lot of mental growing to do at that point!)
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Its hard for someone else to pick YOUR target weight. Also, BMI is not really very accurate. I would go with somewhere between 130-120 lbs for your height. Once you get closer to those weights you can see if that works for you or if you want to adjust the goal.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Calculate your current bodyfat %.
    Step 2: Determine your goal bodyfat % (for a woman to have a flat stomach it's around 15-18%, for a man to have a 6-pack it's around 8-12%).
    Step 3: Put those two into the below calculator and it will spit out what your goal needs to be (prepared to be shocked that it will probably be lower than you think, particularly if you do it without any resistance training and lose up to 33% of your lean body mass in the process).

http://www.weightrainer.net/weight_loss.html
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I wont laugh insanely at this...but me...5 ft 7 at 123...not gonna happen ever. This is for a small framed woman. I wear a size 8.5 shoe. This formula is fundamentally flawed and does not take into account muscle mass or bones size or density.

My sister is 5 ft 4 and is happy around 123...and she is a medium framed woman...

Me I will be happy at 21% bf regardless of weight.